[0.25] Realism Overhaul w/ RedAV8R [Terminated]

RedAV8R

I had a similar problem, IIRC it's because there are two separate, differently named configs for fustek. You need to delete one of them for it all to work, but I don't remember which one.

On a side note: I'm having the heatshield-acting-like-a-nosecone problem on my mk 1-2 pods. This is a 23.5 installation, so I'm not expecting regular "support" from Nathan or Red, but rather asking if someone frequenting this thread has an idea how to fix that, preferably through savegame editing. In my search for solutions I've seen that multiple people reported similar issues in the past, but I've never come across a credible solution. At first I thought that maybe I'm still not good enough at reentry, but then I opened the FAR flight data and... The symptoms look like this (note the extreme ballistic coefficient):

kAG4l54.png

(heating is relatively low because this was my 4th or 5th attempt to bring them back alive and I turned the DRE difficulty down in its debug console in desperation; that still was not enough)

Edited by Hattivat

On my install some FusTek station parts have two fields for FStexture Switch2 and some have two Fuel Tanks when I right-click on them in the Catalog area.

@mecki, Thanks, I appreciate that, The FStexture Switch is actually expected and the way it was designed by Sumghai, the fuel tanks though, that's my issue maybe...next time though, if you give me what parts exactly are having the issue, it makes my life easier, not just a random FusTek tanks aren't working.

I had a similar problem, IIRC it's because there are two separate, differently named configs for fustek. You need to delete one of them for it all to work, but I don't remember which one.

If you follow directions there shouldn't be. Directions call for removing old RO folder. In the current, and it has been this way for quite some time there is only 1 file for FusTek Station Parts.

Edited by RedAV8R

If you follow directions there shouldn't be. Directions call for removing old RO folder.

Oh well, I was pretty sure I did that every time, but perhaps once I haven't. In any case, he seems to have a similar problem, so my info should be helpful.

#1 is known, expected, and fine. That's because there's no resource data when it loads the curve, apparently. If you get issues in flight, let us know.

I'm also experiencing incorrect burn times and consumption rates for SRBs. Consumption rates drop dramatically as remaining fuel decreases. The burn time for this SRB was +16m. It reached apo and burned up in atmosphere before it ran out of fuel.

mm6xb7t.png

I'm going for an RSS install pretty soon. But I have zero interest in Remote Tech. It says in the OP I won't be able to transmit data without it though? Why's that?

Because that's the way our configs work.

Hattivat: That sounds like maybe the shield was attached to the capsule via its *bottom* node, and so only the *top* node of the shield counts as "open" for FAR. An open node "in front of" a part adds a ton of drag (FAR treats it as a flat surface of diameter nodesize) whereas an open node "behind" a part adds only a little drag.

If you want to help, grab any and all thrust curves you can find, images or data table is fine, ideally in a time vs thrust format. I've got Castor/GEMs and most anything ATK made.

I have the ATK catalog and the european vega thrust curves. I'll search for aerojet srbs and see what I can come up with.

Two more (hopefully not too stupid) questions that arose while I'm getting more into this mod:

RemoteTech2 and its configuration: I realized only now that the RemoteTech2 config file linked to in the second post also has EnableSignalDelay = False.

While I love the idea of having all the base stations to communicate I still want signal delay to play a role in my gameplay. Also I'm still not sure how to handle MultipleAntennaMultiplier and RangeModelType. What would be a correct setting for SpeedOfLight?

Does anyone have a good cfg-file for what could be rated asa realistic setting?

General: Apollo 11 took 11 days, including return. My first probe that I sent to the Moon took nearly 10 days to get there. What could I optimize?

Thank you so much for making and maintaining this mod!

EDIT:

I guess you already know this resource (and there are also no Aerojet thrust curves…): http://www.alternatewars.com/BBOW/Space/Reference_Spacecraft_Engines.htm

Edited by mecki

Hi, I think you should take a look at this post. :)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/29388-LazTek-SpaceX-Launch-3-0-Exploration-2-0-and-Historic-1-0-packs-23-5-%286-15-14%29?p=1348097&viewfull=1#post1348097

LazarusLuan is adding the old Falcon v1 parts, Falcon 1, Falcon X, and Falcon XX to the LazTek pack. Does this mean when it's released that KerbX will be deprecated for Realism Overhaul?

@mecki: Last I knew that RT2 config file is ready to go...except for Signal Delay (change to True if you want). Leave everything else. Could be wrong, but that's what I've done. Haven't had much 'play' time though with RT2 recently.

What to optimize? Your transfer, there is more than one way to transfer from one orbit to the next. Early Apollo missions used a free return trajectory from the start in case of failure.

@Woopert: Yep, seen it. Deprecated? No. Why? Because if anything the 3 engine models of KerbX are far superior to anything Laz has done. That and very little work is generally needed to keep KerbX up to date. Now obviously if KerbX becomes unusable due to a KSP update and the pack is not updated (though been abandoned for quite some time now), then yes, we'll have to deprecate it, but until then, it's done, why delete it simply because there is another model, which may or may not be as good.

I am brand new to Realism Overhaul and love the idea. Can't wait to get into it. I could have sworn I executed the mod installations flawlessly, but I have clearly screwed something up. I've tried 2 fresh installs with the same results. It would seem that the overhaul has only partially taken effect. At the link below are my output log and a screenshot of my solar system orbits.

https://www./folder/lav4c4ghez7bn0d,ghni8j5fja3n5g0,ghni8j5fja3n5g0/shared

There's something funky going on in my solar system. Tough to show it all in a screenshot, but the issues I spotted were: Minmus still orbiting Kerbin (well, Earth), Duna still looks like Duna, Jool and Dres have orbits inside that of Earth. Some changes definitely took effect (Kerbin looks like Earth, Mun looks like Moon and is at increased inclination, Eve looks like Venus)....

Any idea what I did wrong?

Edited by TeeJaye85

Aside from KSPLua throwing errors, something very, very simple happened: you ran out of memory.

Try with fewer parts and/or lower-resolution planet textures. Make sure you get the just released RSS v7.2, since that, too, will decrease memory a bit (if you only have 7.1 right now).

Aside from KSPLua throwing errors, something very, very simple happened: you ran out of memory.

Try with fewer parts and/or lower-resolution planet textures. Make sure you get the just released RSS v7.2, since that, too, will decrease memory a bit (if you only have 7.1 right now).

Wow, that is very simple. Thanks for the amazingly quick reply. I do believe I've got v7.2; just downloaded everything today from the links in the OP. I'll double-check, though. I'll take a crack at downgrading the textures a little bit.

How are things holding up in 64-bit? Should I fire that up to side-step the memory issue, or will I just be opening up a whole new can of worms?

Thanks again for the response. I'll report back the good news tomorrow night.

[EDIT] Just noticed the "KSPLua throwing errors" part. Is that something I should worry about? Not even sure what KSPLua is. Came along with PartCatalog, right?

[ANOTHER EDIT] Couldn't contain my excitement. Got out of bed and tested it out. Running 64-bit seems to be a solution. At least the solar system looks just as beautiful as I imagined. I'll play around tomorrow night and see if I get any crashes. I haven't been having any of the 64-bit issues I keep hearing about in my non-RO install, though, so fingers crossed! Thanks again.

Edited by TeeJaye85

If x64 remains stable for you, go for it! I had to give it up, though, since it basically crashes randomly-ish and the log lies about why... (it seems to be passing 32bit pointers, since exceptions that are caught in 32bit lead to a full CTD in 64...sometimes.)

No idea what KSPLua's from. Quite possibly Part Catalog; I don't use that mod myself...

And you're most welcome! :)

I have an idea for an engine (using the KW Rocketry SRB that the Ariane P230 uses, obviously keeping both in RO though). The ATK Advanced SRB -- slated for use for SLS Block II (well, it has competition with the F-1B Pyrios boosters, by Dynetics and Aerojet Rocketdyne).

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2013/10/atk-milestone-sls-advanced-booster-drive/

http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Z63.jpg

I've already calculated the scaling for it based off of the dimensions they gave in the picture.

@MODEL
{
@scale = 2.139929, 3.524129, 2.139929
}
%rescaleFactor = 1.0
@scale = 1.0

At least, I think I did it correctly. :rolleyes: Cheers

Edited by Woopert