It`s obvious it`s soon, why not tell us when the update will be out?

John FX

There doesn't need to be a date because:

1) it's not carved in stone

2) there may be gameplay-breaking bugs found before testing has finished that would affect said date

3) we all know that it is happening "soon" ... and every moment that passes, "soon" gets closer ...

4) posting a release date does almost nothing positive, if anything it has the inverse effect (which is why the entire gaming industry has pretty much stopped doing this)

If they set a date, then there are two possible things that could happen.

A) they do not have it finished in time, and have to delay it, in which case everyone cries and we get it the same time as we would have anyway.

B) They finish it earlier than the date, thy aren't going to change the release to make it a few days earlier so they just wait until the date to release it, in which case you'd get it later than you would have got it.

So either way, you lose out.

Does anyone remember the dark days when squad was more open, one person on the team says one thing that gets misconstrued, and suddenly and very vocal minority of the community just erupts. That, plus the more casual/modular and working up to the last second ethics of small dev teams is why we don't tend to get things like release dates, or large explanations/descriptions of what they'd like to put on the game, anymore

In any case, it doesn't end well. The update will be released when it is released. If you're spending every waking hour hoping for the announcement then you should probably find something more constructive to do.

you seem to be arguing for no news at all on any update so nobody anticipates anything until SQUAD says "There is a new update" and everyone is surprised.

I really really don`t have much better to do than wait for the update. I`m burying my mother Tuesday so KSP is a nice escape for me right now. I`m not looking for sympathy, just saying there isn`t anything `more constructive` for me to do until after then. A release date would really help me figure out my time over the next week.

At some point SQUAD *will* say there will be an update and when it will be. I`m sure they won`t say "It was last week"...

There will always be loads of `0.24 is coming!` threads. We already have an 0.25 thread for example. There is no point trying to stop them and they are no reason to hold back on news.

Game breaking bugs after media release has happened once when NASA dumped a load of work on SQUAD. It`s a special case and policy should not be based on it.

The main objection seems to be "OMG The community may be angry" but the community gets angry about EVERYTHING so that`s no reason either. Look at the thread where someone simply suggested a Dv readout if you doubt that. My point is that once the media has it and we are getting videos from non-dev or non-experimental people then it`s time to let us know a date.

I`ll be very amused if the update has been released during the course of this thread ;)

Does anyone remember the dark days when squad was more open, one person on the team says one thing that gets misconstrued, and suddenly and very vocal minority of the community just erupts. That, plus the more casual/modular and working up to the last second ethics of small dev teams is why we don't tend to get things like release dates, or large explanations/descriptions of what they'd like to put on the game, anymore

This is true. There were dark days in the past. The reason I bought the game was because I read how people were upset that someone had said "All updates will be free" and so I got my game just before the cutoff so I get expansion packs free too but people who bought the month later would not.

Things have changed though.

We get told that SQUAD have updated their dev process to stop exactly that happening. There was a blog post on it by harvester.

Either harvesters post meant nothing and things are the same or we should not expect game breaking bugs after media release.

23.5 was a special case and things have changed since `the dark days` Are those two things so hard to accept?

Why don`t they give the media copies out 5 days later after they have stopped working on the bugs that take a few days to fix?

There really is no reason not to announce a release date when the media get their copies, there IS a reason to delay the media getting copies until the bugs are ironed out...

In other words, if it`s bugs and backlash from the forum deciding this and undefined finish dates, why don`t they wait to release to the media until they can say a release date to us?

It would just be a few days (if not, it`s best not to release to the media)...

Like I say in the OP there is no reason (apart from bad practice) to not let us know a release date when the media have copies.

All the reasons given seem to stem from bad practice. If those reasons are valid then it`s not on purpose and threads like this can give indications as to how people think and possible future courses of action to avoid similar issues in the future.

I`m reminded of the joke headline about America and gun control and massacres "No way to stop this tragedy says only nation where it happens regularly"

there is a way forward which would be good but we won`t find it by making excuses and not talking about it.

Edited by John FX

This community is great, except for the response to release date changes. A byproduct of our collective enthusiasm for this game. With that in mind I have no problem with Squad being secretive about the release date. Squad should be able to focus on the game, instead of putting out a community ablaze because an unforeseen crash bug resulted in the game missing the release date by a day. That being said, it looks to be very close. The time between media and public release was communicated to be very short, the first media team video has already popped up and the last Steam entry for changes to the experimental branch was 3 days ago.

Why don`t they give the media copies out 5 days later when they are not working on the bugs that take a few days to fix?

There really is no reason not to announce a release date when the media get their copies, there IS a reason to delay the media getting copies until the bugs are ironed out...

That would just result in the playerbase getting the game later than they otherwise would. No thanks.

Sorry for your loss, John FX, I hope you and your family are together through such a difficult time.

It may seem harsh, but Squad thinks the ksp community has proven to be not mature enough for these kind of eta dates. So Squad acts accordingly. In other news: Squad thinks the ksp community has proven to be mature enough to handle a buggy 64bit Windowsversion of ksp, so this version will be released. Will be interesting to see the result and if squad will repeat something like that in future releases after this one ;)

That would just result in the playerbase getting the game later than they otherwise would. No thanks.

Sorry for your loss, John FX, I hope you and your family are together through such a difficult time.

It`s cool, it was a long time coming.

It wouldn`t delay anything. It would on the other hand eliminate the issues people have said they have against anouncing at media release. What is to stop media and public release being relatively fixed for example public release is 3 days after media? (media release seems to be 3 days after the last bugfix like I suggested already)

Media release has been said to be very close to the actual release date so we are all waiting for a release between 1-4 days after media release whether SQUAD say anything or not.

Now we are in the position of everyone expecting a release (based on words said by SQUAD) betwen today and thursday yet after saying this there is no release date for the public. The lack of any information is just as bad.

My original point was not `give us a release date at the start of experimentals` or `delay the release` anything silly like that, it was `now the media has their copies (and you have made statements on the release date relative to that happening) why not give us a release date?`

The first replies talked about experimentals not being finished, then once that was seen to not apply `game breaking bugs` were the reason and since harvester posted about that (and 23.5 was a special case) it seems the concern is to get the update as quick as possible.

IMHO a suitable delay before the media gets their copy to ensure no game breaking bugs (which seems to be in place) is only sensible and would not delay any release (beyond delays it SHOULD have)

In which case (the case we seem to be in) there is no reason to not announce a release date at media release.

Maybe it's just me, but if you plan your life around the release of a game patch....

You don't deserve release dates. You just don't.

Unfortunately, that`s a judgement call you don`t get to make.

It may seem harsh, but Squad thinks the ksp community has proven to be not mature enough for these kind of eta dates. So Squad acts accordingly. In other news: Squad thinks the ksp community has proven to be mature enough to handle a buggy 64bit Windowsversion of ksp, so this version will be released. Will be interesting to see the result and if squad will repeat something like that in future releases after this one ;)

This will indeed be interesting. If a release date (which is blatantly imminent) is too controversial to release then a buggy 64 bit client will be fine, I`m sure...

Just to hype the hypers and to annoy the annoyed:

My guess is a "Dev Tuesday: Contracts Release Edition" - so probably Wednesday for us Europeans. :wink:

This seems likely to me. If the date is that close they could announce it though, my initial point.

If they have to wait until there is less than 24 hours between anouncing and release that shows either bad public relations, bad programming/testing or bad planning. If they fear the community response to an accurate date they need better PR and if they just can`t say "This version is good enough" with certainty then they need to code better or get better feedback from their testers. If they need extra time to fix bugs then they should delay media release and plan better.

All these things shoud not be.

Edited by John FX

Unfortunately, that`s a judgement call you don`t get to make.

Fortunate actually. If I had control over publishing release dates, I would make the world weep and sustain myself on the river of tears.

Good news! Update .24 coming out tomorrow!

Bad news! Update .24 delayed six weeks!

Good news! We managed to push the team, release on Thursday!

Bad News! We fumbled, sorry. Back to a six week release!

More bad news! Lead dev implicated in spy ring scandal in Greece, development halted!

Good news, we're back on for Thursday!

Yeah. Power. :cool:

Maybe it's just me, but if you plan your life around the release of a game patch....

You don't deserve release dates. You just don't.

That....makes no sense. Sorry but if you're a football fan and you plan your life around matches, well then I guess you don't deserve football. Plus, hate to do this but I'm calling it out, this guy made a thread about release dates for updates. I don't really see where this encouraged you to come in and tell somebody what they do or don't deserve. I also don't see where you gained the right to tell somebody what they deserve, but while your at it, I guess I will add in my opinion that you don't deserve to the right to post on the forums since you feel that you are now the decider of what people should be entitled to.

Just look at the amount of text from one user about this topic without even any etas given. Multiply this by 100 for every hour a potential given eta passes by, and you have a guess about the kind and amount of threads we would see here. No thanks :)

That....makes no sense. Sorry but if you're a football fan and you plan your life around matches, well then I guess you don't deserve football. Plus, hate to do this but I'm calling it out, this guy made a thread about release dates for updates. I don't really see where this encouraged you to come in and tell somebody what they do or don't deserve. I also don't see where you gained the right to tell somebody what they deserve, but while your at it, I guess I will add in my opinion that you don't deserve to the right to post on the forums since you feel that you are now the decider of what people should be entitled to.

Isn't that special!

Fortunate actually. If I had control over publishing release dates, I would make the world weep and sustain myself on the river of tears.

Good news! Update .24 coming out tomorrow!

Bad news! Update .24 delayed six weeks!

Good news! We managed to push the team, release on Thursday!

Bad News! We fumbled, sorry. Back to a six week release!

More bad news! Lead dev implicated in spy ring scandal in Greece, development halted!

Good news, we're back on for Thursday!

Yeah. Power. :cool:

I could get behind that. Would it be a game like Dwarf Fortress?

EDIT : I was reminded of this

3us4bg.jpg

Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there. Muuuuuuum when are we gona get there.

Grow up!