Kerbal Space Program: First Contract - The Youtube Playlist

SQUAD

Tips for SQUAD:

a- Steam Sales. I know at least two or three of my five close IRL friends want KSP, and whenever there's a sale, they want to buy it. I'm sure a 45% Off sale would go excellent, especially with the update.

b- Focus on what the community wants. If we want the currency to be called Donuts, hotfix the update and make it that way. Everyone loves community ideas being in the game!

c- More updates. Like you decided in 0.18, there should be more small updates. Less content, but spread over a far area.

c.a1- Spread these updates over different things, like said in "c.-". Don't just focus on career mode or the sandboxers will get bored. I'm a sandboxer and excited for the update, and I hope to career a little more after it, but we need things other than career.

d- Things to explore. We need Gas Planet 2. We need a place hard to get to. 2K dV to Eeloo? Bah, 4.5K dV is more like it! I think the veterans need a sweet here and there.

None of this is too serious and/or forced, but I hope you take some of these things into mind. Thanks. ;)

-Naten :)

It's annoying that I have to install no less than 3 mods (AJE, RF, FAR) just to get airplanes to behave as they should.

I, too, find that extremely annoying. Fortunately we've got top men on the case.

Well, hopefully you're right, and we'll get proper aerodynamics eventually. A career system is nice, but KSP is, in the end, about spaceflight. As such, it's vital that simulation is as good as it can get. Kerbin system allows enough leeway as it is, there's no need to "dumb down" simulation itself for the players' benefit.

If Squad didn't have advertising, there wouldn't be an update. They can only make KSP if people buy it, which requires advertising and PR work.

Except they're overdoing it. Half the work on each update seems to involve making a pointless animation, YT videos and publicity work. None of this really improves core KSP experience, which, despite of how good it already is, is severely lacking in key areas. Most games don't make a new trailer every time a patch comes out, and for a good reason. The amount of flashy, useless stuff they make for KSP is excessive, considering a video gets watched once and actual game gets experienced for hours. I just hope that after feature-completion of the game, those animations will stop and the modelers get put to work on creating actual game content. It's understandable they don't want a titanic part list this early, but later, they'll have to expand it, or they'll end up with what is essentially a modding platform wrapped in a nice, shiny advertising package. YouTube previews, no matter how cool, add exactly nothing to the game.

Edited by Guest

YouTube previews, no matter how cool, add exactly nothing to the game.

You do realize that all these previews that came out yesterday are made by people who don't work on the game right? They get to make previews in exchange for being able to play/test the game early. If they didn't make previews, they would be doing nothing, not helping with the game.

Well, hopefully you're right, and we'll get proper aerodynamics eventually.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the KSP devs. I have my doubts about whether we'll see "proper" aerodynamics in KSP, or life support, or anything else that may not be considered "fun". I mean, much as I agree that the resources feature should have been shelved in favor of a simpler model, I fear that the "fun" excuse will now be used to shelve or ignore other features that really should be a part of this game.

At the end of the day modders are the people who have the vision to really make KSP special; KSP itself is just a platform for a variety of space games/simulators.

Damm I woke up and still no update ;.;

How long are squad gonna make me wait...

Please squad relaese it already before I bite off All my nails. This anticpation is killing me

I've watched all the reviews and now I REALLY want to play it.

Will it be today ??????? Tomorrow ???? just dont say next week

You do realize that all these previews that came out yesterday are made by people who don't work on the game right? They get to make previews in exchange for being able to play/test the game early. If they didn't make previews, they would be doing nothing, not helping with the game.

Except they aren't. They're done by people whose job is to test the game and make sure there are no bugs. They should be stress-testing the program and reporting issues, not fooling about with previews. Playtesting is not as simple as you think. I've done it, too. Even for a mod, it's a very engaging task. Making previews is not playtesting.

Oh, I wasn't talking about the KSP devs. I have my doubts about whether we'll see "proper" aerodynamics in KSP, or life support, or anything else that may not be considered "fun".

Except realistic aerodynamics actually make building planes and rockets easier and more intuitive. You can tweak the values, but in general, the biggest problem would be old-time KSP players having un-learn everything they learned. No infiniglide, no asparagus, single-stack rockets, fairings... madness. :) My first plane was made using FAR, and I could never quite grasp the stock plane-building logic. Removing "intake spam" and other exploits like infiniglide is certainly a must, especially if any sort of "competitive" (with funds and science) multiplayer is to be implemented. Life support will probably come eventually (IIRC, it's in the planned features list), but I wouldn't be surprised if it was oversimplified, but configurable. Stock KSP is, as it is, way too shallow of an experience, especially considering the amount of publicity it has.

Except they aren't. They're done by people whose job is to test the game and make sure there are no bugs. They should be stress-testing the program and reporting issues, not fooling about with previews. Playtesting is not as simple as you think. I've done it, too. Even for a mod, it's a very engaging task. Making previews is not playtesting.

No, that isn't their job. There are multiple groups with early access. The people whose job is to test are in the Experimentals group or the QA group. The media group consists of different people whose job is to make videos of the mod.

Source:

There's a few groups of people who can get experimental access:

- The QA & Experimental test team

- The forum moderators (for technical reasons)

- The Media Group (as mentioned made up of Youtubers and the likes)

- KSP-TV streamers

Except realistic aerodynamics actually make building planes and rockets easier and more intuitive. You can tweak the values, but in general, the biggest problem would be old-time KSP players having un-learn everything they learned. No infiniglide, no asparagus, single-stack rockets, fairings... madness. :) My first plane was made using FAR, and I could never quite grasp the stock plane-building logic.

I've made similar arguments but I still feel like we'll never see stock aero go beyond its current, terrible self.

Stock KSP is, as it is, way too shallow of an experience, especially considering the amount of publicity it has.

Sadly true.

They're done by people whose job is to test the game and make sure there are no bugs. They should be stress-testing the program and reporting issues, not fooling about with previews. Playtesting is not as simple as you think. I've done it, too. Even for a mod, it's a very engaging task. Making previews is not playtesting.

You are mistaken in assuming that Squad has the same people splitting their energies between the two tasks. Squad has a test team which is testing the game, not making PR videos. Squad also works with some PR people to make videos, but they are not systematically testing the game and reporting the bugs they find. If the videomakers were not making KSP videos, they would not be making KSP better. They would be making videos about other games, because that is what they do.

Stock KSP is, as it is, way too shallow of an experience, especially considering the amount of publicity it has.
"Shallow" as in, an unfinished, work-in-progress? I imagine Lord of the Rings was also shallow, when it was half-finished. Yet even in its unfinished state, I see that you are still interested enough to be talking about KSP 2 years and 5 months after joining the game's forum.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.