[1.1.3] Surface Experiment Pack - EVA science for KIS/KAS (v1.4.2 6/30/2016) *Now with less explosions*

AlbertKermin

Went to Mun, hopped out and started setting things up when I got the screwdriver bug. Came here got the latest version and restarted KSP but Bill still can't figure out his screwdriver. However it may be because I launched on an older version so he still has a buggy screwdriver. Luckily I brought an electric driver so I can still set everything up.

Regardless this is a spiffy mod, working great alongside the probe first mod. I get some simple probes to run the repeatable experiments and then later send up kerbals for the goo, science jr., and your spiffy experiments.

I was using the hotfix version and I tried a number of times to transmit data as I have done many times in the past, and it just would not work.  I get the first message that says the data transmission is starting, and the SEP antenna raises about half way, and then nothing, no % transmitted, and no confirmation of science points, no errors or exceptions in the log.  I could setup everything and collect data manually and recover in a command cab still, so it was possible to get the science points.  

I saw there is a 1.2 version that says it fixed a bug with the solar panels, grabbed it off spacedock, and now I can't get the screwdriver to work...  So we seem to have lost the hotfix fix in the latest version.  

15 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Are you running the absolute latest version? It should include a fix for the screwdriver. The spanner and the electric screwdriver are from KIS, not us. In case there was any confusion there.

I checked. CKAN says I have version 1.2. I removed it using CKAN, cleared the cache, reloaded it using CKAN and...

Nope. ;.; Screwdriver doesn't drive screws.

I figured out how to fix this issue, for anyone that wishes to fix it, open your kerbal game data folder, find SurfaceExperimentPackage/Parts/SEP_Screwdriver.cfg. open this file, and find line :toolPartAttach = false. should be about the 5th line from the bottom, change this to toolPartAttach = true. save changes, restart KSP. screw driver will function again.

EDIT: this will at least function as a hotfix until the mod author has a chance to correct the issue him/herself.

Edited by vardicd

12 minutes ago, vardicd said:

I figured out how to fix this issue, for anyone that wishes to fix it, open your kerbal game data folder, find SurfaceExperimentPackage/Parts/SEP_Screwdriver.cfg. open this file, and find line :toolPartAttach = false. should be about the 5th line from the bottom, change this to toolPartAttach = true. save changes, restart KSP. screw driver will function again.

You're a genius! Problem solved. Thanks.

Ah, ok I think I've figured out what happened. @AlbertKermin fixed it for the 1.1 release. I then forgot to download his fix before updating the mod myself. Meaning the version I uploaded did not have the fix. I will correct that immediately.

EDIT: The issue has been corrected on GitHub. @AlbertKermin can you upload it to Spacedock?

Edited by CobaltWolf

4 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

@CobaltWolf Fixing it as I write this!

Fixed! :)

I installed 1.3, I can successfully mount the power plugs and link them.  However, I cannot get data transmission to work.  

TThnpod.jpg

I've done this setup plenty of times before, but I can't get it to work anymore.  I used to be able to slap these three parts together in all the mini biomes around KSC and transmit all three data sets, cannot do it any more.   

Also, a question.   What is the intended method for performing the Fore! experiment?  I cannot equip the golf club in my hand, so I used to just surface attach it to the top of the SEP Central Station, but it can no longer be attached.  Dropping it into the world just makes it fall through the ground and explode.   So, at a bit of a loss for how we are supposed to use it. 

Edited by eberkain

14 hours ago, eberkain said:

I installed 1.3, I can successfully mount the power plugs and link them.  However, I cannot get data transmission to work.  

I've done this setup plenty of times before, but I can't get it to work anymore.  I used to be able to slap these three parts together in all the mini biomes around KSC and transmit all three data sets, cannot do it any more.   

Also, a question.   What is the intended method for performing the Fore! experiment?  I cannot equip the golf club in my hand, so I used to just surface attach it to the top of the SEP Central Station, but it can no longer be attached.  Dropping it into the world just makes it fall through the ground and explode.   So, at a bit of a loss for how we are supposed to use it. 

Uh, no idea why that would be happening.

The golf club is a legacy experiment, it was meant to be equipped then activated to perform the experiment. Does it no longer do this?

9 hours ago, Phil deCube said:

Working well now thanks guys. Setup on Eve complete (although I did forget to send a scientist! And one of the experiments exploded when I went to connect it).

Nice setup! Are those kerbals going home, or have they become colonists? :P The explody thing is unfortunately an issue with KAS/KIS IIRC and there isn't a ton we can do about it as far as I know.

Since I'm here, might as well show what I doodled this morning. The Surface Magnetometer and the Surface Gravimeter, as well as... a cardboard box? Huh? I was thinking the other day, and I had a (possibly) cool idea. Since we're making a low profile KIS container to transport the experiments, it won't look right if you rip it off the ship to carry your experiments. So what I'd like to do, is have the locker be surface attachable to a ship, etc. But not have it be detachable using KIS/KAS. Instead, you'd be able to pack collapsed cardboard boxes, that take almost no space / weight in the storage, have a decent amount of space themselves, but cannot be surface attached. So they'd only be useful on the surface, for carrying bins of components over to where you're building the experiment.

fIpuSGH.png

EDIT: And here we have a couple more new things. Two sizes of lockers. Unfortunately I think we'll be stuck with a bit of a tardis situation, they'll have to be a bit bigger volume than would actually be possible. Nevermind the fact that msot of their storage is internal. I'll have to bring the actual KIS container into the scene to see if they're too big / small. Also pictured, I wanted a lighter, simple power splitter / extender. This one will just be a 4 way connector with no battery, but it will be cheaper + lighter than the big battery pack.

Xh2YYyu.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

@CobaltWolf New models look great. I have a clean install of the game, so I coped my KIS, KAS, SEP and Module Manager over there.  Tested it out and data transmissions work fine.  I'm thinking another mod has a bad config or something that is messing with the SEP parts, because I see this in my fully modded game.   

AhIvzTD.jpg

Those two commands that start with [EVA] were not present on the controlled test on the clean install.  This is my mod list, have any ideas what might be causing it?  And I figured out that you can right click the golf club in the kerbals inventory to equip it, using the hotkey for the slot it is in does not equip it and instead brings up interaction mode where you attach objects. 

2 hours ago, eberkain said:

@CobaltWolf New models look great. I have a clean install of the game, so I coped my KIS, KAS, SEP and Module Manager over there.  Tested it out and data transmissions work fine.  I'm thinking another mod has a bad config or something that is messing with the SEP parts, because I see this in my fully modded game.   

Those two commands that start with [EVA] were not present on the controlled test on the clean install.  This is my mod list, have any ideas what might be causing it?  And I figured out that you can right click the golf club in the kerbals inventory to equip it, using the hotkey for the slot it is in does not equip it and instead brings up interaction mode where you attach objects. 

I think something might be messing up in the RemoteTech config. I'll see what I can find out.

6 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Since I'm here, might as well show what I doodled this morning. The Surface Magnetometer and the Surface Gravimeter, as well as... a cardboard box? Huh? I was thinking the other day, and I had a (possibly) cool idea. Since we're making a low profile KIS container to transport the experiments, it won't look right if you rip it off the ship to carry your experiments. So what I'd like to do, is have the locker be surface attachable to a ship, etc. But not have it be detachable using KIS/KAS. Instead, you'd be able to pack collapsed cardboard boxes, that take almost no space / weight in the storage, have a decent amount of space themselves, but cannot be surface attached. So they'd only be useful on the surface, for carrying bins of components over to where you're building the experiment.

fIpuSGH.png

EDIT: And here we have a couple more new things. Two sizes of lockers. Unfortunately I think we'll be stuck with a bit of a tardis situation, they'll have to be a bit bigger volume than would actually be possible. Nevermind the fact that most of their storage is internal. I'll have to bring the actual KIS container into the scene to see if they're too big / small. Also pictured, I wanted a lighter, simple power splitter / extender. This one will just be a 4 way connector with no battery, but it will be cheaper + lighter than the big battery pack.

Xh2YYyu.png

Those look AWESOME! And I'm loving the cardboard box idea. :)

7 hours ago, CobaltWolf said:

Nice setup! Are those kerbals going home, or have they become colonists? :P

Thanks. Yeah, they are colonists. That's why I sent only engineers. They aren't as useful as scientists, and in the 1.0.5 career mode play through I seem to have rescued a LOT of engineers.

I like the new parts you're working on. The idea of cardboard boxes is cool.

@eberkain I think I found your problem. When using RemoteTech with this mod, you have to hit "[EVA] Set Target", and manually target the KSC in order for it to be able to transmit.

Edit: Further test reveal that you also have to use "[EVA] Force Open" as well.

Edited by AlbertKermin

17 hours ago, AlbertKermin said:

@eberkain I think I found your problem. When using RemoteTech with this mod, you have to hit "[EVA] Set Target", and manually target the KSC in order for it to be able to transmit.

Edit: Further test reveal that you also have to use "[EVA] Force Open" as well.

Huh, interesting. I didn't expect that to be it. In other news:

bwfZbw6.jpg

EDIT:

cQ5o6Zk.png

Edited by CobaltWolf

1 hour ago, 500Motels said:

Aww man this looks terrific! I'm currently putting my manned programs on a bit of a hold so I can leave with the maximum amount of experiments. Really looking forward to the science descriptions too!

Part of the reasoning behind SEP is to add science that can only be performed by Kerbals. :) Not so much in stock, but in modded games probes tend to outstrip manned exploration for a lot of things.

Update~

So I was able to get the storage lockers and the box in game. Two sizes of storage lockers, and the cardboard box. The Magnetometer is also now in game with basic textures. No sciencedefs, that's @AlbertKermin's problem. I've synced everything to GitHub so if anyone wants to check out the new storage stuff and tell me what you think of it from a gameplay POV, feel free to do so and let us know what you think.

hhU8cXN.png

4DyZF5f.png