[1.2] Impossible Innovations 0.8.7.6

jandcando

Wow that's really cool! It feels good knowing that people actually like and use my mod.

I use it too

BTW, the new scoop and converter thing...

I think its kinda OP. The scoop sucks in hydrogen like nobody's business - making the already crazy high ISP of the fusion engines almost redundant.

Might I suggest that you lower the ISPs now that you've given us a means of refueling? Go down from 10K and 100K to maybe just 1K and 10K?

Just a thought

I use it too

BTW, the new scoop and converter thing...

I think its kinda OP. The scoop sucks in hydrogen like nobody's business - making the already crazy high ISP of the fusion engines almost redundant.

Might I suggest that you lower the ISPs now that you've given us a means of refueling? Go down from 10K and 100K to maybe just 1K and 10K?

Just a thought

I totally agree with you. I think that the intake could use some nerfing (especially if its in space). And yeah, it is about time that the ISP gets nerfed too. But I don't want to move too far into the realm of realism until I get some non-stock part models (one of the longest-standing annoyances in my mind.) I have a temporary plan that uses PartWelder to make some part models that are distinguishable from the stock parts on a rocket. But that means more broken ships. But I guess that's alpha development for you!

A simple option could be to supply people with two config files. One for the usual truly impossible innovations - and one for a more balanced loadout that requires refueling and whatnot

Hmm.... That thought never occurred to me. Sounds like a plan, though!

So are you saying I should remove the whole hydrogen system entirely for "classic" Impossible Innovations?

And then add a realistic version of the hydrogen system to the "realistic" version?

I just hope I won't have too much trouble juggling two mods. I mean, I would focus on the realistic version but the classic version probably still has bugs. I'll think about this.

On another note, what do you think of the hydrogen converter? Do you have any changes in mind?

(BTW, thanks for starting this conversation. I don't feel like a dead zombie coder anymore. I always welcome user feedback.)

No - don't remove anything

I'd say tweak the hydrogen system so its slightly less effective in atmospheres (and perhaps not even usable in all atmospheres - only atmospheres on planets that have oxygen) and so it doesn't work at all in space. There's just too little gas in space for that to be viable.

and then have two config files: one that makes for less effective fusion engines, and one with the current level of ISP.

Wow that's really cool! It feels good knowing that people actually like and use my mod.

Thanks.

I think people like it.

And also your mod is amazing, keep up the good work.

One question are you planying to retextur the engines, mainly the big ones, the one I use in the lander to something cooler and more futuristic.

Thanks.

I think people like it.

And also your mod is amazing, keep up the good work.

One question are you planying to retextur the engines, mainly the big ones, the one I use in the lander to something cooler and more futuristic.

I would love to have more futuristic engines, but I don't have the skills required to create my own. The person who had created all of the textures in this mod (excluding the hydrogen tank and converter, those were made with PartGenerator v3 by Lando) is Dungchunker, and he makes these in his own time and for free, so I'm not complaining. New models will slowing trickle in for now, I'm afraid.

No - don't remove anything

I'd say tweak the hydrogen system so its slightly less effective in atmospheres (and perhaps not even usable in all atmospheres - only atmospheres on planets that have oxygen) and so it doesn't work at all in space. There's just too little gas in space for that to be viable.

and then have two config files: one that makes for less effective fusion engines, and one with the current level of ISP.

I had the idea to make the hydrogen intake slightly dependent on biome, as well as atmospheric density. Biome because if you're over the ocean, the air is probably more humid than normal and that means more hydrogen can be extracted from that humidity (H2O). I still want to have some hydrogen income even in space, because of solar wind. But it should probably be WAY less than it is now.

You should do the "harvesting" of hydrogen more scientific correct, because right now is not.

Most of outter space is hydrogen and helium, but especially hydrogen so the "harvesting" of hydrogen when in space should be bigger than it is now.

I went to the Encyclopedia Britannica and found this:

Extremely small amounts of neutral (non-ionized) hydrogen have been detected throughout much of interplanetary space. At the distance of Earth’s orbit from the Sun, for example, the concentration of neutral hydrogen is about one atom per 100 cubic cm (6 cubic inches).

Very Nice! I like all the blue!

Now I know nothing about fusion, so could someone tell me how realistic these are? I don't mind "future" technology, its when it starts feeling flat out fictional that I figure I may as well be using infinite fuels :P

My original vision for this pack was to have it be a cheaty pack full of overpowerd rocket parts, so the parts are still very unrealistic. Now that this mod has some attention, I think that now it deserves some realism. The next few updates will be focused on part models, and then I will start moving towards making this make a little sense.

My original vision for this pack was to have it be a cheaty pack full of overpowerd rocket parts, so the parts are still very unrealistic. Now that this mod has some attention, I think that now it deserves some realism. The next few updates will be focused on part models, and then I will start moving towards making this make a little sense.

Are you going to make the engines with less thrust?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having trouble making new 0.25 adopt the II tech tree adons...

Correct me if I'm wrong:

I'm supposed to take the tree.cfg and copy it into the savegame folder and delete the notree file - right? That should do it? (aside from putting the mod files into the gamedata folder)

I'm having trouble making new 0.25 adopt the II tech tree adons...

Correct me if I'm wrong:

I'm supposed to take the tree.cfg and copy it into the savegame folder and delete the notree file - right? That should do it? (aside from putting the mod files into the gamedata folder)

Are you applying the tech tree to a new save, or an old one that has already been worked on? It needs to be a fresh save with no tech tree progress.

The only other possibility is that you need to update TreeLoader to a version that the new KSP version supports. From the looks of things, r4m0n (the author of treeloader) is not coming back to his mod anytime soon, so that problem is out of my hands right now.

While looking to see what state TreeLoader is in, I found this alternative. Right now, it does not allow me to add new nodes onto the tech tree, but when it does I'll be sure to use that instead. For now, you guys may be stuck in sandbox mode for this mod....

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, just wanted to post saying that I'm really enjoying your mod. It's taken a lot of the stress I was having out of the game, but I'm eager to see what new directions you'll take future versions of it.

If I had any suggestions, I'd like to see some more spaceplane parts, but I'll defer to your judgment on that. :)

Hey, just wanted to post saying that I'm really enjoying your mod. It's taken a lot of the stress I was having out of the game, but I'm eager to see what new directions you'll take future versions of it.

If I had any suggestions, I'd like to see some more spaceplane parts, but I'll defer to your judgment on that. :)

I had an simple, but potentially powerful idea for a spaceplane part: a tank for IntakeAir! That way, you could store it up during atmospheric flight, and then use it to feed your jet engines in space. I haven't touched this mod in a while, though. I sort of just develop it on those days I feel ambitious.

• 2 weeks later...
i have one question could be a way to make this mod compatibile with KSPI?(they use deuterium and tritium but probably its named Lqddeuterium or somethink that

KSPI uses the same resource as me last time I checked. I'm not sure which one gets loaded though. All I do know is that it is interchangeable between mods (if the name is still the same.) But my mod would make KSPI very overpowered with my fuel tanks.

Hey two quick things.

The ionized wing spaceplane part seems to nuke my frame rate. I have a pretty modest rig running an HD7970, normal stock parts and pretty much every other Impossible Innovation part i get nice smooth 40-60 FPS, but when my screen's glancing at the ionized wings, i seem to get about half my normal frame rate. This isn't a major annoyance, really, but I am curious as to how the part was created initially. It doesn't look like it borrowed from a stock model but I could be wrong.

Second thing is, I'm having difficulty understanding the hydrogen system you implemented. I can gather gas with the intakes, store them with the tanks, and then the next process would be to convert to deuterium/tritium with the conversion part. I get to the point where I gather enough hydrogen to begin the conversion process, but the conversion module seems to sap all my power within seconds, even with the z10k battery. On the part information screen during part selection, I notice the charge is 20 to use--I can't remember if it's 20/sec or 20/min). Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks for any response.

Edited by kendu72

Hey two quick things.

The ionized wing spaceplane part seems to nuke my frame rate. I have a pretty modest rig running an HD7970, normal stock parts and pretty much every other Impossible Innovation part i get nice smooth 40-60 FPS, but when my screen's glancing at the ionized wings, i seem to get about half my normal frame rate. This isn't a major annoyance, really, but I am curious as to how the part was created initially. It doesn't look like it borrowed from a stock model but I could be wrong.

Second thing is, I'm having difficulty understanding the hydrogen system you implemented. I can gather gas with the intakes, store them with the tanks, and then the next process would be to convert to deuterium/tritium with the conversion part. I get to the point where I gather enough hydrogen to begin the conversion process, but the conversion module seems to sap all my power within seconds, even with the z10k battery. On the part information screen during part selection, I notice the charge is 20 to use--I can't remember if it's 20/sec or 20/min). Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

Thanks for any response.

I don't know why the ionized wing would nuke your frame rate, considering it is graphically identical to the original stock delta wing. I haven't tested this with .25, so maybe something bad happened... Wait did it take on the new delta wing model?? If so, it can easily be fixed.

The hydrogen conversion system does require a significant amount of ElectricCharge, but I don't think it would wipe out a 10k battery... Like I said, I have not tested to make sure everything works right in 0.25, but the code was recompiled. I'll try to remember to look into it later, but no promises. My life is more busy than I would like it to be at the moment...

ahh good Ol' II, powering my machinations since the beginning. I really should send you some images of what your machines have helped get into space JandCando.

That's good to hear! I hope this can be of use to you in the future, as well.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.