0.24 Save Files

Hello KSP community,

I've recently discovered this game during steam summer sale and been having huge blast and the game is amazing. Anyway the recent update to career mode is all good and fine but today I've noticed that I cannot afford to launch my vehicles anymore. Long story short, I've been running my own Space Program with focus on colonizing and getting as much science done across of the solar system as possible but with 0.24 I cannot afford to launch my vehicles and I'm not really interested in contract part of the side as of yet.

Are there any solutions how I could change my safe file to make it science mode instead of career because I've not been given any choice when loading my save file to do so.

Well, the game asks you what mode you want when starting a new game and you can choose "science" to play without contracts. But I see you said "loading save file" so I'm guessing your save is from 0.23.5? If it is, I have no idea how to fix it.

I backed up the .23.5 folder just before updating for this very reason... right in at the end of my Jool-5 mission! can't have things go wrong now...

I think there must be a way of editing it so that it show as a science mode save...

I think there must be a way of editing it so that it show as a science mode save...

AFTER BACKING UP, you might want to try replacing "CAREER" in the Title and Mode lines of your persistent.sfs with "SCIENCE_SANDBOX" (no quotes obviously).

ie:

GAME
{
version = 0.24.0
Title = NEAR_24 (CAREER)
Description = No description available.
linkURL =
linkCaption =
Mode = CAREER

to:

GAME
{
version = 0.24.0
Title = NEAR_24 (SCIENCE_SANDBOX)
Description = No description available.
linkURL =
linkCaption =
Mode = SCIENCE_SANDBOX

I'm not sure what that will do with any contracts saved in the file etc as I've not tried it myself.

(Note that you could also import .craft files into a new save etc, although you'd have to climb the tech tree again there)

Well, the game asks you what mode you want when starting a new game and you can choose "science" to play without contracts. But I see you said "loading save file" so I'm guessing your save is from 0.23.5? If it is, I have no idea how to fix it.

Yes I've started career mode in .23.5

See this thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86658-How-do-I-convert-my-Career-mode-save-to-a-Science-mode-save

Ok, all you need to do is open your persistence file (Make a backup first) and change the MODE to

Mode = SCIENCE_SANDBOX

Then go and delete the SCENARIO

{

name = ContractSystem

}

as well as the

SCENARIO

{

name = Funding

}

And the save will now be science mode.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.