Cars!!!

CaptainGiblets

But trains aren't so different from trucks/cars. Just put rubber tires on :cool: :

That picture made my day.. Always had an appreciation for the Soviet affection to the K.I.S.S (keep it simple, stupid!) engineering method. Some of the most sensible and robust machines make it out of that part of the world.

on the motorsports topic... here's my roommate's toys in our garage. Couple of short-track dirt race cars. (1976 Camaro w/ monte carlo style body and a Chevelle-chassie IMCA modified)

QK7nUHX.jpg

I picked up this '85 Mercury Capri as a tweak-while-I-drive-it toy, but that was 2yrs ago an it's still not really done, though it is registered. It's got a 5.0L / 5spd, and with a little work is so far down to 3080 lbs.

5MJWH.jpg

My wife's dad has been in the Oklahoma Corvair club since it was founded, and thanks to that we have about 6 of our own (they're very cheap and easy to work on, so don't be too amazed), a 1941 Dodge pickup that's complete, but sad, a 1964 Sunbeam Alpine in need of full restoration, and I'm elbow deep in restoring my 1959 Ford Fairlane 500 Galaxie Skyliner (I love typing that out, its name is almost as long as the car.) Daily driver is a 1998 Trans Am I've had since 2005 when I bought it at 19, and am putting my 1995 Honda Prelude Vtec back together after running it out of oil at 18. Used to be a Subaru master tech, and yeah, the STI is as cool as everyone thinks it is, currently working at Nissan while I get through college.

Dream car when I finish school and get an awesome job as an astronautical engineer is the Aston Martin DBS. I'll "settle" for a DB 9 though.

And I have seriously considered using my modeling skills to make Jeb a Kerbalized Ford Retractable to park at KSC, though he does strike me as more of a classic 'Vette guy. =)

I picked up this '85 Mercury Capri as a tweak-while-I-drive-it toy, but that was 2yrs ago an it's still not really done, though it is registered. It's got a 5.0L / 5spd, and with a little work is so far down to 3080 lbs.

http://i.imgur.com/5MJWH.jpg

And great find on that Capri. Do you love or hate when folks compliment your awesome "Fox Body"? =)

And great find on that Capri. Do you love or hate when folks compliment your awesome "Fox Body"? =)

Technically speaking, it is a fox body. That was a generic term for the platform. :P

...Lots of exotic European cars listed here...Is it "weird" that I have a 5 speed '06 Mustang and I'm perfectly happy with that? (Not quite a '68. Someday...)

Technically speaking, it is a fox body. That was a generic term for the platform. :P

...Lots of exotic European cars listed here...Is it "weird" that I have a 5 speed '06 Mustang and I'm perfectly happy with that? (Not quite a '68. Someday...)

Fair enough. There's a guy with the Rt. 66 Cruisers club out here with a nice black restored Capri. When it was just recently finished he just kind of smiled when someone misidentified it as a Mustang, but he's gotten a little short on patience with people who won't even bother to read the badge anymore.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Here's the car's that are technically "all mine". I don't feel right claiming the cars my wife had before we got married. The '59 4-Door is donating a drivetrain and frame to the Retractable, and I had to repaint the Trans Am's hood after the clear coat went. That image is pre-clear. (My wife's cousin had shot his 240SX with a single-stage blue and tipped the gun over getting it in spots normal cleaning missed. Long story short, 3 days trying to fix my clear coat after picking blue flecks out of the fresh clear. Thankfully it was a thick show-car clear, so it was easily fixed.) The full shot of the TA is post-paint.

(And the Shopping Cart Handle is coming off the back of the Prelude... All I can say in my defense was I was 16 when I bought it...)

Edited by Subasean

Fair enough. There's a guy with the Rt. 66 Cruisers club out here with a nice black restored Capri. When it was just recently finished he just kind of smiled when someone misidentified it as a Mustang, but he's gotten a little short on patience with people who won't even bother to read the badge anymore.

Yeah, I'm sure it would get quite annoying after a while -- especially after you've put a lot of time and effort into the car.

(And the Shopping Cart Handle is coming off the back of the Prelude... All I can say in my defense was I was 16 when I bought it...)

At least you had a car to call your own at that point! I drove around my mom's Rav4 for 4 years...all the while saving up slowly but surely. Well worth the wait, I can say that much! (My dad, who hasn't owned a stick since his 80's 300ZX, is jealous!)

Haven't really modified anything (yet), but the previous owner had put in a short throw shifter. Just ordered a new set of tires, though :)

I am hoping to get a z like this little baby before I start college this fall. Nissan-300zx-7889.jpg

It is a Nissan 300zx, and I want it with t-tops, without the turbo's, and is automatic. I want to later paint it a candy apple blue with silver metal flake. Unfortunately ones in my price range are hard to come by where I live at.

Edited by USS_Cuttlefish

To give you something to chew on:

Mazda 323F - love this old design

Mazda 3 - espacially with notchback

Smart Roadster - just a cute car and the way I always imagined electric cars would most likely look like

I usually like cars that look like cars better - well, the way they used to look in the 80/90s and not the roundified things they build nowadays!

(No, I am ONLY 35 ... :P )

Yea aside from some body parts it's the same as the Mustang. Technically it's 'fox chassis' but everybody calls 'em fox body's. There's a mod on foureyedpride.com called foxchassis who has that as a pet peeve. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.