[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

I'm not getting anything from the KA-2500 Particle Collector (assuming I'm using it correctly). It says in the description, "just outside a planet's atmosphere". Orbited Kerbin first at 100k then at 76k. The collector says: Resource - Karbonite 0.01% Flow 0.0008. I ran the game on 50x for about 5-10 minutes and my Karbonite fuel tank has said 0.01 / 1450 since I first turned on the Collector.

Megawatts? Do you mean 2500 units of power? What the...

If you read the extended (rmb) description in the VAB it says 2.5MW. That means MegaWatt in every electrician's book.

Edited by Targa

I'm not getting anything from the KA-2500 Particle Collector (assuming I'm using it correctly). It says in the description, "just outside a planet's atmosphere". Orbited Kerbin first at 100k then at 76k. The collector says: Resource - Karbonite 0.01% Flow 0.0008. I ran the game on 50x for about 5-10 minutes and my Karbonite fuel tank has said 0.01 / 1450 since I first turned on the Collector.

You're probably right there on the edge given it's max is 75,985m...

The particle collector is an atmosphere skimmer meant to ride the very edge of orbit. 100K is way out of it's range. That 0.01 was probably luck when your PE dipped :)

Yep, I expect it did given all the parts moved to their final versions.

btw- i I can run a converter or a drill on four RTG's... which feels about right. Since we can get Karbonite almost anywhere, there has to be a penalty.. in this case, the penalty of needing lots of power, which I am ok with.

I am just glad I had not connected them to my colony yet-- they were sitting right next to the module they were going to connect to, but I went to bed before attaching them...that saved my colony from destruction.

Question - why do the distillers have Karbonite as both an INPUT and OUTPUT_RESOURCE? If you're inputting 0.6, outputting 0.35, and getting 0.05 monopropellant for your trouble, how is that different from just inputting 0.25 and getting the same MP out...? Is there some process going on here I'm (very likely) not understanding?

Question - why do the distillers have Karbonite as both an INPUT and OUTPUT_RESOURCE? If you're inputting 0.6, outputting 0.35, and getting 0.05 monopropellant for your trouble, how is that different from just inputting 0.25 and getting the same MP out...? Is there some process going on here I'm (very likely) not understanding?

Yep. It forces you to sift through a larger initial quantity during the physics tick, then kicks back what you didn't sift through. Subtle but intentional difference. You're basically sifting the Karbonite.

You are including an old version of Modulemanager.

Thank - let me go grab a new one

Yep. It forces you to sift through a larger initial quantity during the physics tick, then kicks back what you didn't sift through. Subtle but intentional difference. You're basically sifting the Karbonite.

Thank - let me go grab a new one

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, I see.. Gotcha. Thanks.

I know it says this mod doesn't conflict with Kethane, but I noticed it says it uses a different Open Resource System. Since I don't fully understand what that means, I'm curious if it's a bad idea to run both mods.

If it is okay to run both mods, is there anything I should know about the compatibility of the recourses with different mods?

I love resource based missions, so the more the merrier to me. :-)

Probably working as intended, I'm guessing as a result of making K act like MP - If you have multiple empty fuel tanks attached to a drill, it fills them all up simultaneously (dividing evenly between each) rather than one at a time.

You are updating this mod and thread to fast, Can't even F5 ONCE without it being updated...

Good job tho really like this mod and i've been following it since an hour after the initial thread went up and i thought " that Might be interesting when it actually is finished in a few months" Hah, i was so wrong regarding my timeline xD. what made this mod so fun to follow in its progress was

Your dedication, both to making the mod(Addon?) work but also your dedication to make it "crowd funded" and keeping it that way. And The fact that it is crowd funded and following peoples ides and discussion.

Really nice work, to you and to everyone who contributed to it.

Edited by Sutima

I know it says this mod doesn't conflict with Kethane, but I noticed it says it uses a different Open Resource System. Since I don't fully understand what that means, I'm curious if it's a bad idea to run both mods.

If it is okay to run both mods, is there anything I should know about the compatibility of the recourses with different mods?

I love resource based missions, so the more the merrier to me. :-)

Kethane and Karbonite are apples and tractors ;) No issue with compatibility, just two different ways to get stuff - so have at it!

Probably working as intended, I'm guessing as a result of making K act like MP - If you have multiple empty fuel tanks attached to a drill, it fills them all up simultaneously (dividing evenly between each) rather than one at a time.

This will change a bit in release ;)

You are updating this mod and thread to fast, Can't even F4 ONCE without it being updated...

Good job tho really like this mod and i've been following it since an hour after the initial thread went up and i thought " that Might be interesting when it actually is finished in a few months" Hah, i was so wrong regarding my timeline xD. what made this mod so fun to follow in its progress was

Your dedication, both to making the mod(Addon?) work but also your dedication to make it "crowd funded" and keeping it that way. And The fact that it is crowd funded and following peoples ides and discussion.

Really nice work, to you and to everyone who contributed to it.

Thanks! I'm just happy so many folks joined in, otherwise you guys would be stuck with white cylinders for models still ;)

Very awesome -- it's amazing how quickly this came together!

Minor bug or unexpected behavior -- the Karbonite tanks are full in the VAB. Wouldn't it make more sense to have them empty?

Minor bug - thanks :)

If it interests anyone, I put together a TweakScale config that applies to the 0.1.0 release - if names change, it will break, of course.

PLEASE NOTE that the config relies on a set of scaletypes I put together to supplement what BioTronic already bundles with TweakScale. The names of these scaletypes correspond to the exponent used to calculate the mass of the part in relation to its volumes. The scaletype "stack_low" (the "low" meaning low mass, or something) will make doubling a part's radius/size result in it having something like 4.3x the mass rather than 8x the mass like the default "stack". The type "stack_mid" is a middle ground between 4x and 8x (I think it's 6x the mass for 2x the size). It's what I use for engines, for example, so that scaling one up results in reduced TWR, but not so severely as with regular stack where scaling a 0.625 or 1.25m engine to large sizes starts to result in an engine that can barely push its own weight. You can just replace stack_mid or stack_low with stack if you don't like this.

It also includes additional surface scaletypes ("better_surface" and variations) that provide more and more regular (0.25, 0.5, 0.75 etc.) increments between 0.25x size and 4x size than the normal "surface" scaletype. It's just my personal preference and you can change them all to "surface" or "free" or whatever you prefer.

Linky: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/ExtendedScaletypes.cfg

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59567837/Karbonite_TweakScale.cfg

The latest version of TweakScale should support stuff like the converters' rates and power consumption scaling with their size, and the drills drilling more and so on. So in theory you should be able to scale drills up to gargantuan sizes (also gargantuan masses) and fill up your Karbonite tanks lickety-split.

Edited by AccidentalDisassembly

Got a small suggestion. Since you need more oxidizer than fuel methinks it would make sense to change the oxidizer efficiency up to 1.1 from 0.9. That way you wouldn't have to wait for the oxidizer to catch up.

If it interests anyone, I put together a TweakScale config that applies to the 0.1.0 release - if names change, it will break, of course.

PLEASE NOTE that the config relies on a set of scaletypes I put together to supplement what BioTronic already bundles with TweakScale. The names of these scaletypes correspond to the exponent used to calculate the mass of the part in relation to its volumes. The scaletype "stack_low" (the "low" meaning low mass, or something) will make doubling a part's radius/size result in it having something like 4.3x the mass rather than 8x the mass like the default "stack". The type "stack_mid" is a middle ground between 4x and 8x (I think it's 6x the mass for 2x the size). It's what I use for engines, for example, so that scaling one up results in reduced TWR, but not so severely as with regular stack where scaling a 0.625 or 1.25m engine to large sizes starts to result in an engine that can barely push its own weight. You can just replace stack_mid or stack_low with stack if you don't like this.

It also includes additional surface scaletypes ("better_surface" and variations) that provide more and more regular (0.25, 0.5, 0.75 etc.) increments between 0.25x size and 4x size than the normal "surface" scaletype. It's just my personal preference and you can change them all to "surface" or "free" or whatever you prefer.

The latest version of TweakScale should support stuff like the converters' rates and power consumption scaling with their size, and the drills drilling more and so on. So in theory you should be able to scale drills up to gargantuan sizes (also gargantuan masses) and fill up your Karbonite tanks lickety-split.

You have a small error in your file.

Line 71 @PART[KA_Drill_Radial_01 ] notice the space before the bracket. Apparently that isn't liked by TweakScale.

Nifty! Turn this into it's own release thread and I'll happily link to it. Stuff tends to get lost in all of this ;) Part names are locked btw, there is now a set convention that allows us to expand later on.

Not something that's going to get done for a few days, but here's the model of the 1.25m converter:

http://nertea.the3rdage.net/ksp/125converter.png

The exhaust fan spins and the radiator plugs pop out and rotate when running.

I love it!

Got a small suggestion. Since you need more oxidizer than fuel methinks it would make sense to change the oxidizer efficiency up to 1.1 from 0.9. That way you wouldn't have to wait for the oxidizer to catch up.

Sure, why not ;)

I'm wrapping up some changes on 0.1.1 - all of the stuff folks have reported thus far - and I have even made a new video on how to use ORS to get resources, and how to use SCANSat... which should chop the posts in this thread in half ;)

The latest version is now working in 64 bit KSP for me. An earlier version worked, yesterday's version did not and today's does. It is possible my download of the previous version was corrupted. I didn't try re-downloading after the crashes. In any event, glad it works today. KSP-64 using OpenGL has been working out extremely well for me so far, glad I can add this mod to the "tested and working list".

Edited by Fiontar

The latest version is now working in 64 bit KSP for me. An earlier version worked, yesterday's version did not and today's does. It is possible my download of the previous version was corrupted. I didn't try re-downloading after the crashes. In any event, glad it works today. KSP-64 using OpenGL has been working out extremely well for me so far, glad I can add this mod to the "tested and working list".

Which yesterdays? :wink:

Nifty! Turn this into it's own release thread and I'll happily link to it. Stuff tends to get lost in all of this ;) Part names are locked btw, there is now a set convention that allows us to expand later on.

I just realized I've never actually started a thread on any KSP forums. I assume I should do that in the releases/project showcases forum, but would it be better on this one...?

O.k., spoke a little too soon.

I have an existing save with an OKS in orbit built when I was using a prior release of Karbonite. No parts from Karbonite installed, but there are some storage containers attached to the station. The game crashes when loading the station with Karbonite 1.0 installed. It loads fine with the mod uninstalled. Does the Karbonite mode add Karbonite storage to any of the storage containers from OKS? Could that be causing the issue?

I'll try undocking and deorbiting the containers and see if that eliminates the crashes...

I just realized I've never actually started a thread on any KSP forums. I assume I should do that in the releases/project showcases forum, but would it be better on this one...?

Do it here so folks can help you sort out any issues before release.

O.k., spoke a little too soon.

I have an existing save with an OKS in orbit built when I was using a prior release of Karbonite. No parts from Karbonite installed, but there are some storage containers attached to the station. The game crashes when loading the station with Karbonite 1.0 installed. It loads fine with the mod uninstalled. Does the Karbonite mode add Karbonite storage to any of the storage containers from OKS? Could that be causing the issue?

I'll try undocking and deorbiting the containers and see if that eliminates the crashes...

Easy question. What version of MKS? There was a new version less than a week ago.