[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Just a heads up I guess: in the new version of Karbonite they took out the part called 'antenna' which of course breaks any designs you had that included it in it. So just copy and paste that file from your old karbonite install to your new one. Probably the same case for any other parts you might've used since the naming structure seems to have changed for the parts.

Please don't do this ;) Bear in mind you were on a dev pre-release. ALL part names changes - by design. The names/etc. are now locked in for release.

waiting for compabilyty for ex with stock intakes or interstellar ones to use precooler to extend a litlle bit abilities of them

or waiting for precooler in this mod (stock precooler is nice but look ugly why not make something fancy for thiese propose?or with other extra usage?)

there is small sense to use karbonite engienes fo SSTO in kerbin and its difficult to not burn them out in other planets

interstellar have compabillity within stock precooler it would be good to see something like that here (even if only within stack-engine)

Do it :) This is a community project after all.

I've searched every post by RoverDude and just flat out couldn't find this, so gonna have to ask -

How do I get this to work with Scansat? It looks like some ModuleManager magic but I'm not seeing what I need to do or what goes where. I also seem to have ended up with .dlls for module manager for 2.1.5, 2.2.0 and 2.2.1. Not sure if I can delete the old ones without borking some of my mods.

Also getting a strange problem with the Karbonite scanner. I've got it on a sat in orbit and to start with I clicked on it, started scanning. When I tell it to 'show me hotspots' it gives me the little orange bubbles. I do however have 3 sats in orbit - each only shows me concentrations near it specifically. Then, strangely, it would no longer let me toggle the sensor on and off. It says that it's off, but it's still showing me the hotspots. If I try to toggle it on it seems to toggle on for a second, then is off again.

I am running x64 but otherwise I'm not sure why it hates me.

I deleted Kethane which vaped my prior scansat network, which is fine, it was all running dated tech anyway. I just want to make sure I'm not going to have to vape and replace this new loadout - in career mode that stuff costs money :P

So short version of what I need:

1. Info or direction to info on how to make Karbonite play with Scansat.

2. Karbonite sensors only showing local hotspots. Probably related to #1. I have 3 module manager version dlls in my gamedata too, cuz why leave borking my game up to chance, right?

3. After deployment and switching between sats it will not allow me to toggle the sensor off and on. It shows off but acts on.

4. Hotspots do not reflect locations identified by other detectors nor do they seem to keep data after switching away and back. Is it just a radius thing at the time?

Thank you for any help. I'm jazzed and excited about the design and direction this has taken and has inspired me to pick up TAC and MKS after I get a handle for Karbonite, resource management and exploiting KAS to scatter LIVING Kerbals through out my system, instead of the dead Kebals and debris I've generally packed it with in prior playthroughs.

you need to be running the DEV version of Scansat. once you have that installed click on settings and select show resources / Karbonite.

1. See above ;)

2/3/4 - no idea, but hotspots are static (they will not change). You probably just have a visual bug - I see this sometimes if I look at hotspots at very high altitudes. Try around 250K

Likely it seems i am doing something wrong...

I can extract the Karbonite, but if want to konvert them in fuel or oxidizer nothing happens.

I click the Converter and hit there Activate Liquid fuel or Oxidizer, but nothing happens.

Above is written Activated: False

Any hints?

regards

Mike

Likely it seems i am doing something wrong...

I can extract the Karbonite, but if want to konvert them in fuel or oxidizer nothing happens.

I click the Converter and hit there Activate Liquid fuel or Oxidizer, but nothing happens.

Above is written Activated: False

Any hints?

regards

Mike

Silly questions... Do you have an empty fuel tank? Is it in the same stack? Pictures help.

karbonatorvcf3l.jpg

The 2 silver tanks, and the 4 outer tanks are empty, Karbonite Tank is full

Aso if i put a 2,5m Tank in middle nothing happens

I can extract but not convert

gehtnetfzjsp.jpg

Edited by Nowater

just a quick question: is there a monetizing-scheme already implemented into karbonite ?

it was suggested pretty early on. like a module which can be added to an orbital station that lets you transfer krabonite to sell it (to an NPC-corporation , for exampe...)

it could also be included into contracts "deliver 1.000.000 units or karbonite to the orbital station yxz around duna before a.b.c"

something like that ?

would be sooo awesome and would give the feeling of running a space mining corporation... with kerbals.

just a quick question: is there a monetizing-scheme already implemented into karbonite ?

it was suggested pretty early on. like a module which can be added to an orbital station that lets you transfer krabonite to sell it (to an NPC-corporation , for exampe...)

it could also be included into contracts "deliver 1.000.000 units or karbonite to the orbital station yxz around duna before a.b.c"

would be sooo awesome and would give the feeling of running a space mining corporation... with kerbals.

YES, Give us this, Current contracts are meh, and after you've done 10 of them you realise the profit margins are slim.

I already have fun with stations and mining so introduce contracts to it .

something like that ?

Hi guys,

I agree with your decision to have the tanks be empty in the VAB/SPH but what is missing is an indication of how much each tank holds in the description. Please revise the in-game part descriptions in next release. Thanks.

EDIT: Yes, I know you can right-click the part once placed to see its capacity... I just think it would be better to have in the description.

Edited by maxrsp
additional clarity

I agree with your decision to have the tanks be empty in the VAB/SPH but what is missing is an indication of how much each tank holds in the description. Please revise the in-game part descriptions in next release.

Agreed. that is basic info that should be provided.

Sidebar: Just downloaded the mod. I never did Kethane. Given that this is a community effort, this could really take-off and be fun. Might get me back into 3D modeling; I guess it's time to update Blender.

Edited by Apollo13

Hi guys,

I agree with your decision to have the tanks be empty in the VAB/SPH but what is missing is an indication of how much each tank holds in the description. Please revise the in-game part descriptions in next release. Thanks.

EDIT: Yes, I know you can right-click the part once placed to see its capacity... I just think it would be better to have in the description.

Agreed. that is basic info that should be provided.

Sidebar: Just downloaded the mod. I never did Kethane. Given that this is a community effort, this could really take-off and be fun. Might get me back into 3D modeling; I guess it's time to update Blender.

Added to the issues list

Hi guys,

it doesn't show capacity when you right click the part icon like with normal fuel tanks?

it doesn't show capacity when you right click the part icon like with normal fuel tanks?

It does, folks just want it on the first screen like stock - right now it shows 0 because that's what it has. Easy fix :)

Congrats on the release. And look at how quickly you pulled that off from scratch! Good job. And those parts look super shmexy.

Yep, all of the folks who pitched in are super awesome, and wearing out my rep button :D

As I offered to RoverDude on reddit I plan on adding on-rails gathering for the particle collector. I just wanted to say "hi" and lay out my plans for the initial work.

Basically for the first iteration I plan on simply recording the flow and the timestamp every time the collector gets updated. Then when you return to a vessel I will use the flow and difference in time to inject a single large amount of Karbonite. There's plenty of ways this can get abused by players, but it should be enough to get started on.

In the future power consumption and orbit eccentricity should also be taken into account.

I'm doing this because the first time I read about Karbonite my immediate thought was "I want to make an unmanned self-resupplying fuel depot in LKO" and this is not possible until on-rails harvesting is implemented.

Dag... this thread escalated quickly over the weekend. Congrats on a fantastic release. =D

I have updated configs for finding/extracting TAC water and EPL ore, if anyone's interested. I've also built a config that allows the converters/distillers to refine Near Future's ArgonGas and LiquidHydrogen. Lemme know when/where/if it's cool to pin those up.

Dag... this thread escalated quickly over the weekend. Congrats on a fantastic release. =D

I have updated configs for finding/extracting TAC water and EPL ore, if anyone's interested. I've also built a config that allows the converters/distillers to refine Near Future's ArgonGas and LiquidHydrogen. Lemme know when/where/if it's cool to pin those up.

Make a thread and get me a link so I can add it :)

Something like that - Kravity said he was working on some bits :)

Also - send me that radial tank please!

Ah, I posted it waaaay back then, but with this ginormous amount of replies, I won't wonder why you missed it. Maybe I should make longer ones? :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-24-2-Karbonite-Ongoing-Dev-and-Discussion?p=1320043&viewfull=1#post1320043

Edit: Yeah, I'll just take care of the radial tanks.

Edited by blackheart612

YES, Give us this, Current contracts are meh, and after you've done 10 of them you realise the profit margins are slim.

I already have fun with stations and mining so introduce contracts to it .

something like that ?

This is the beauty of Karbonite being open source. You are free to tackle this challenge if so desired. :)

As I offered to RoverDude on reddit I plan on adding on-rails gathering for the particle collector. I just wanted to say "hi" and lay out my plans for the initial work.

Basically for the first iteration I plan on simply recording the flow and the timestamp every time the collector gets updated. Then when you return to a vessel I will use the flow and difference in time to inject a single large amount of Karbonite. There's plenty of ways this can get abused by players, but it should be enough to get started on.

In the future power consumption and orbit eccentricity should also be taken into account.

I'm doing this because the first time I read about Karbonite my immediate thought was "I want to make an unmanned self-resupplying fuel depot in LKO" and this is not possible until on-rails harvesting is implemented.

This would be fantastic. Babysitting mining bases is not fun.

Awesome - start a dev thread, PM me the link

Ah, I posted it waaaay back then, but with this ginormous amount of replies, I won't wonder why you missed it. Maybe I should make longer ones? :P

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/87335-24-2-Karbonite-Ongoing-Dev-and-Discussion?p=1320043&viewfull=1#post1320043

Edit: Yeah, I'll just take care of the radial tanks.

Thanks!

This is the beauty of Karbonite being open source. You are free to tackle this challenge if so desired. :)

yup! I expect awesomeness to occur