[24.2] Karbonite Ongoing Dev and Discussion

RoverDude

Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Which logo style by Alexustas (on page 2) do you like best?

• Row 1
    • Row 2
    • Row 3
    • Row 4
    • Row 5
    • Row 6

Hi, RoverDude!

This looks really promising, it's great to see a fuel concept different from Kethane!

I have a question though - is it possible to turn off the hotspots displayed on the celestials itself? For me, this is a great immersion-breaker. At the very least, I think it should be displayed in the map view only. If possible, I'd use Scansat only to display the deposits.

The concept of concentration is what makes me want to use Karbonite instead of Kethane, so I'll very much like to give this a go - but those hotspot orbs I did not like.

Cheers!

You don't - it's by design. Better yet - go try that on Jool ;)

Kerbin is for testing only, hence the tiny amount.

Thanks Mate

Appreciate you getting back to me... alright ill do some testing(mayne a rethink of the landing jets), but just so you know, with your amazing mod, and that of Wave's Interstellar, i managed to get a ~200 ton STOL-SSTO into orbit, capable of an insanely large amount of Delta-V(so much so I hat to limit the trust), and if I had the time and patience and inclination to balance it, it would be a VTOL-SSTO, capable of carrying 7 Kerbals anywhere in the Solar system, with enough TAC support and resources to go anywhere... JUST the landing i need to work on :P

Thanks man

Regards

The Gecko

I come into a conflict problem between Karbonite drills and Interstellar Lite. interstellar lite uses ORS DLL 1_2_1.dll which breaks Karbonite drills while Karbonite uses 1.2.0.dll which breaks all the resource items in Interstellar Lite. Is there a way to resolve this conflict?

Hi, RoverDude!

This looks really promising, it's great to see a fuel concept different from Kethane!

I have a question though - is it possible to turn off the hotspots displayed on the celestials itself? For me, this is a great immersion-breaker. At the very least, I think it should be displayed in the map view only. If possible, I'd use Scansat only to display the deposits.

The concept of concentration is what makes me want to use Karbonite instead of Kethane, so I'll very much like to give this a go - but those hotspot orbs I did not like.

Cheers!

Yep, just switch to SCANSat and you have an alternate to the orbs. Even better is the ORS Overlay mod Cyrik has.

I come into a conflict problem between Karbonite drills and Interstellar Lite. interstellar lite uses ORS DLL 1_2_1.dll which breaks Karbonite drills while Karbonite uses 1.2.0.dll which breaks all the resource items in Interstellar Lite. Is there a way to resolve this conflict?

Posted on this in the KSPI-L thread. Just take the ORS 1.2.0 and move it into the USI folder, leave ORS 1.2.1 in the ORS folder and you're patched. I'll change this next release.

hello, i have found a strange bug:

i landed my karbonite miner in a hotspot on minmus, deployed the drill and slowly extracted karbonite, then i converted it to some fuel and xenon. but when i deployed the drill again the karbonite tanks filled instantly, as soon as i clicked "extract" button, without taking any electric charge. also im not seeing any hotspots on map mode, only in "ship view".

im playing sandbox with a lot of mods, however none of them is related to harvesting other resources, except karbonite and karbonite +. all mods are up to date. my gamedata:

QpuUPIs.png

Edited by klobasa

Hello, I can't get any of the mining drills to deploy because there is no right click menu. I have removed all other mods that I have installed and started a new save and re-downloaded and installed Karbonite. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing is the right click menu only available under the right circumstances?

When I load the game the Module Manager reports 0 patches applied, 9 hidden items, this is ModuleManager 2.2.1 I have also tried upgrading to ModuleManager 2.3.1 and this made no difference. I have also tried running the game in both 32 and 64 bit mode and this also made no difference. Any help with this problem will be appreciated as this mod looks really great and I cant wait to try it out.

hello, i have found a strange bug:

i landed my karbonite miner in a hotspot on minmus, deployed the drill and slowly extracted karbonite, then i converted it to some fuel and xenon. but when i deployed the drill again the karbonite tanks filled instantly, as soon as i clicked "extract" button, without taking any electric charge. also im not seeing any hotspots on map mode, only in "ship view".

im playing sandbox with a lot of mods, however none of them is related to harvesting other resources, except karbonite and karbonite +. all mods are up to date. my gamedata:

http://i.imgur.com/QpuUPIs.png

The instant fill up is a known bug - not sure on why you stopped seeing hotspots though - try a toggle/retoggle on the scanner. Can you still extract? Anything in the debug log?

Hello, I can't get any of the mining drills to deploy because there is no right click menu. I have removed all other mods that I have installed and started a new save and re-downloaded and installed Karbonite. Is there some sort of trick I'm missing is the right click menu only available under the right circumstances?

When I load the game the Module Manager reports 0 patches applied, 9 hidden items, this is ModuleManager 2.2.1 I have also tried upgrading to ModuleManager 2.3.1 and this made no difference. I have also tried running the game in both 32 and 64 bit mode and this also made no difference. Any help with this problem will be appreciated as this mod looks really great and I cant wait to try it out.

hmmm... Can you show me screenshots of both your GameData and your UmbraSpaceIndustries folder?

Hey, I've working on a few procedural mods in the past (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76156-0-23-5-Procedural-mod-resource-storage-parts. This mod was an add-on to the procedural tanks mod but my work was taken back and incorporated by the original mod developer.)

I've also worked with splicing the Kethane Mod with KAS functionality...

ZDsS65v.png

If you were to give me a project I'd see what I could do, but I'll look into what I can make for the project, from some miniature versions of your mining units to storage or general KAS support for more parts, I can also make procedural tanks that can be resized and reshaped using the procedural tanks code :)

Edited by Eggman360

Hey, I've working on a few procedural mods in the past (http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76156-0-23-5-Procedural-mod-resource-storage-parts. This mod was an add-on to the procedural tanks mod but my work was taken back and incorporated by the original mod developer.)

I've also worked with splicing the Kethane Mod with KAS functionality...

http://i.imgur.com/w5jQyIl.png

If you were to give me a project I'd see what I could do, but I'll look into what I can make for the project, from some miniature versions of your mining units to storage or general KAS support for more parts, I can also make procedural tanks that can be resized and reshaped using the procedural tanks code :)

I can't speak for RoverDude but as a user of many mods, anything you can do to reduce part count/clutter would be fantastic.

I can't speak for RoverDude but as a user of many mods, anything you can do to reduce part count/clutter would be fantastic.

I know what you mean, and frankly that's why I took an interest and worked on a procedural parts mod, I rolled all the resources of Kethane, ExtraPlanetary Launchpads, TAC, MKS/OKS, interstellar and stock resources into one SINGLE tank that could change shape, size (in all 3 dimensions separately) and texture colour, a link to my "work" is in my signature, feel free to critique :) I may take it up again just to add the Kerbonite resource :) lol, just to update and bring it up to 23.2 :D

Edited by Eggman360

OK, I can't seem to get Karbonite Low-Altitude Scoops to work.

I'm trying to set up a refuling station in orbit of Kerban that collects Karbonite by way of a separate low-flying ship. This collecter does not have a detector attatched to it, but it has 4 1.5m low-altitude scoops suitable for use in atmosphere. Before launch, I deployed the extractor, activated the scoop, and changed the collected material to Karbonite. During the ascent to orbit, I collected exactly 0 units of Karbonite. Given this, I suspect that the scoop isn't working properly, or that I am not using it properly.

Can anyone give me any advice? I really want this to work.

OK, I can't seem to get Karbonite Low-Altitude Scoops to work.

I'm trying to set up a refuling station in orbit of Kerban that collects Karbonite by way of a separate low-flying ship. This collecter does not have a detector attatched to it, but it has 4 1.5m low-altitude scoops suitable for use in atmosphere. Before launch, I deployed the extractor, activated the scoop, and changed the collected material to Karbonite. During the ascent to orbit, I collected exactly 0 units of Karbonite. Given this, I suspect that the scoop isn't working properly, or that I am not using it properly.

Can anyone give me any advice? I really want this to work.

Sure, let's start with the easy stuff. Can you collect Karbonite on the ground using a drill? Always start there.

Had a thought, though I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before. Would it be possible to add Karbonite as a high-thrust, low-isp fuel for thermal rockets and turbojets? I'm not sure if this could be done via a config file on Karbonite's end, or if it'd have to be checked for existence and added through KSPIL. Ohh, could also integrate Karborundum too as.... I dunno, a super-powered fusion fuel? I mean, due to the scarcity of the resource, it could put out just slightly less power than antimatter... anyways... ideas!

Had a thought, though I'm not sure if it's been mentioned before. Would it be possible to add Karbonite as a high-thrust, low-isp fuel for thermal rockets and turbojets? I'm not sure if this could be done via a config file on Karbonite's end, or if it'd have to be checked for existence and added through KSPIL. Ohh, could also integrate Karborundum too as.... I dunno, a super-powered fusion fuel? I mean, due to the scarcity of the resource, it could put out just slightly less power than antimatter... anyways... ideas!

Karbonite is already in as a high thrust low ISP fuel ;) Engines come in the box, including jet engines. Would just be a MM tweak to add it to other parts, and you can even check for KSPI via MM.

Probably the same with Marborundum (again, via MM). In the next patch I even added a dummy DLL specifically to help people do MM stuff :)

Karbonite is already in as a high thrust low ISP fuel ;) Engines come in the box, including jet engines. Would just be a MM tweak to add it to other parts, and you can even check for KSPI via MM.

Probably the same with Marborundum (again, via MM). In the next patch I even added a dummy DLL specifically to help people do MM stuff :)

I know it comes with its own engines, this is more to make mods work together in interesting and possibly unexpected ways.

I know it comes with its own engines, this is more to make mods work together in interesting and possibly unexpected ways.

Sure, then as noted you can pretty much do whatever you want via an MM config. It just would not be an in the box thing, since we try to keep dependencies down to a minumum

Sure, then as noted you can pretty much do whatever you want via an MM config. It just would not be an in the box thing, since we try to keep dependencies down to a minumum

Might try creating one after work tomorrow, been curious about mm configs. Mind if I post it here when I'm done?

its not dependences its just... fancy benefit from using two mods together (like KSPI have within Kethane both could be use separatly but engines from KSPI could use Kethane alternatively) so having that fancy thinks in core could have benefits

Because of the way Interstellar engines are able to switch propellant modes in flight, their available propellants aren't listed in the engines' configs. Look at Interstellar/EnginePropellants.cfg for how they're defined.

Hi. I recently updated Karbonite, and seem to be having some extra crashes, when loading from the VAB. I'm also getting some more crashes when switching to ships, and issues with a previously working texture replacer, but that might be something coming from kethane

Here are some crash report things:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jzoabt97tflmtbv/AAA_yBOnjtihaem5jChaMa9Da?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ayaxrc1k2s0od7d/AACxWXkVAGymD4I9lHb5bUU7a?dl=0

its not dependences its just... fancy benefit from using two mods together (like KSPI have within Kethane both could be use separatly but engines from KSPI could use Kethane alternatively) so having that fancy thinks in core could have benefits

That was pretty much my thought process. Just little "oh, cool" moments. But anyways.

Because of the way Interstellar engines are able to switch propellant modes in flight, their available propellants aren't listed in the engines' configs. Look at Interstellar/EnginePropellants.cfg for how they're defined.

Thanks! The switching in flight part was what made me question whether or not it could be done with a MM patch.

Edit: Oh, does the type of indention matter in MM configs? All of what I see seems to use tabs, but I tend to use two spaces when I indent. I'm doubting that it really matters due to the brackets, but might as well ask.

Edit: Ok, this more or less does what I was thinking. Unfortunately, given the equations involved, I can't get quite similar performance to the karbonite built-in rockets without an antimatter reactor attached :(

BASIC_NTR_PROPELLANT:NEEDS[InterstellarPlugin&Karbonite] {
name = Karbonite
guiName = Karbonite
ispMultiplier = 0.314
isLFO = false
PROPELLANT {
name = Karbonite
ratio = 1
DrawGauge = True
}
}

Edited by Ixonal

Didn't see this in the last few pages... so I'll post it here.

Bug report:

When using the Karbonite to Liquid/Ox converter, if the target L/O fuel tank is disabled (red pause sign) in the right click options, the converter will not produce the result, but will still eat karbonite.