The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

New beta player here and loving it. Running with a keyboard and mouse until my joystick turns up, so fighting is pretty much out of the question, but I'm enjoying the heck out of trading and exploring!

It's working nicely under Bootcamp too, which makes me happy.

Hey grats! I'm on a tiny fraction of that at the moment, and still trucking around in a Sidewinder. It was a big moment when I could afford enough fish to fill all four cargo slots and I'm just about approaching that point with crop harvesters... :)

"Flying through hyperspace is exactly like hauling crop-harvesters, boy..."

Hey grats! I'm on a tiny fraction of that at the moment, and still trucking around in a Sidewinder. It was a big moment when I could afford enough fish to fill all four cargo slots and I'm just about approaching that point with crop harvesters... :)

"Flying through hyperspace is exactly like hauling crop-harvesters, boy..."

If you are in the neighbourhood (and I'm guessing you are), Elanin frequently has requests for crop harvesters posted on the bulletin board. Make sure to check there before selling them normally, since you get a better price.

If you are in the neighbourhood (and I'm guessing you are), Elanin frequently has requests for crop harvesters posted on the bulletin board. Make sure to check there before selling them normally, since you get a better price.

Hm, last time I checked (although this is maybe a week ago), prices from the bulletin board were worse than the prices you get by selling at the market

Good to know ... so the declining market prices in the "beginners cluster" have let the market prices fall below those on the boards. (due to the lots of other people selling those goods)

But I´d definitely recommend checking twice for locations abroad from the well traveled "beginners cluster" ... like the cluster that begins with Rakapila.

Guess the market prices there still are higher than the board prices

It's not immediately obvious (or it wasn't to me anyway :) ) but you can show trade routes for on the galactic map. No guarantee of profits of course, but helpful for figuring out which planet types need which goods.

It's not immediately obvious (or it wasn't to me anyway :) ) but you can show trade routes for on the galactic map. No guarantee of profits of course, but helpful for figuring out which planet types need which goods.

Very ...

especially if you jump to a planet you hadn´t visited in the past (and for which you therefore don´t have any data).

Equally useful is the option, to have the jump distances displayed with a certain tonnage of cargo in your holds.

Especially for the distance between Aulin and Rakapila it requires to jump with less than full cargo holds for most ship types

Very ...

especially if you jump to a planet you hadn´t visited in the past (and for which you therefore don´t have any data).

Equally useful is the option, to have the jump distances displayed with a certain tonnage of cargo in your holds.

Especially for the distance between Aulin and Rakapila it requires to jump with less than full cargo holds for most ship types

How does that work? Because that would indeed be useful!

How does that work? Because that would indeed be useful!

When you open the starmap, click on the 'navigation' tab.

In the bottom left there is a slider that lets you set the cargo tonnage for which you wish to see your range.

When you open the starmap, click on the 'navigation' tab.

In the bottom left there is a slider that lets you set the cargo tonnage for which you wish to see your range.

Cheers!

It also helps if you RTFM, or in this case, the onscreen instructions *facepalm*. Blue lines - jump distance within range for a fully laden ship. Grey lines - you can make the jump but will need to adjust your cargo tonnage accordingly.

Man, it's like figuring out the navball in KSP. Once you know what your instruments are actually telling you, the game gets a whole lot easier. :)

One additional thing with regards to jump planning:

Use the "mass slider" only after you made all ship upgrades / downgrades you want to make.

Every module and weapon in your ship has its own tonnage ... so using the slider before, for example, you ad a module with 4t of weight,

may result in a miscalculation of the cargo you can take on by up to 4 tons

I finally got a Viper yesterday. Damn nice ship that seems to be a decent all-rounder for the price. It suits my style of play, especially with my new-found interest in trading. I've also been busy, and finally achieved one of my goals (that wasn't 'Get a Viper'). I finally found a station with the posh interior:

eP5l8di.jpg

Vonarburg Co-operative in Wyrd. I knew one of these places would be around somewhere...

INzlPNl.jpg

I got there through Nang Ta-Khian, and was surprised at how close this moon is to the planet. Surely it should have been ripped to pieces by tidal forces by now? Eh, still looks cool.

I also got a docking computer without realising what exactly it did. When it also started playing classical music, I started giggling. Good one, Frontier :P

For the record, I sold it back immediately. No damn computer is taking over my flying unless I get a Type-9 or an Anaconda...

So yes, things are starting to really look up for me, now. The age of despair is over. The age of avoiding bugs and glitches has begun. Seriously, I encountered a very bad bug before, but it wasn't debilitating in any way; it was quite the opposite. I bought some tobacco at Bolg in the hopes that perhaps Aulin would accept it. They didn't, so I fled to I Bootis and the black market there. Landed, went to the black market, did business, came out a bit better off. Then I decided that I'd do the crop harvester run to Eranin, but it said my cargo hold is still half full... with tobacco?! I checked, and sure enough, there's still the 4 tobacco in my hold. I checked to see if it was sell-able to the black market still, and it is. Oh my. I could've made infinite money... I could've had everything! EVERYTHING! Fortunately, my good judgement was in control and I quickly got the hell out of that menu, left the station, jumped to Eranin, and dumped and blasted that damned tobacco with my lasers.

So yes, I could have made myself the richest person in Elite with a few button presses. I guess it's a good thing I didn't do that, eh, or I'd be roaming around blasting everything in my Anaconda with plasma accelerators without a care in the world, heheh...heh...

I finally got a Viper yesterday (...) It suits my style of play, especially with my new-found interest in trading.

If you like trading, stay with the Hauler until you've got enough credits for the Cobra, the Hauler has 16 units of cargo compared to the 8 of the Viper.

If you like trading, stay with the Hauler until you've got enough credits for the Cobra, the Hauler has 16 units of cargo compared to the 8 of the Viper.

Yeah, I'm aware. I like trading, but despite the Hauler being a good ship, I wanted the Viper, plain and simple. Besides, it's still earning me a pretty penny and I can go back and do combat missions as well now, too.

Yeah, I'm aware. I like trading, but despite the Hauler being a good ship, I wanted the Viper, plain and simple. Besides, it's still earning me a pretty penny and I can go back and do combat missions as well now, too.

If you want a good all-round ship, then a Cobra is the way to go. Slightly slower than a viper, pretty much the same hardpoint loadout but better hyperspace range and a cargo capacity of 36.

If you want a good all-round ship, then a Cobra is the way to go. Slightly slower than a viper, pretty much the same hardpoint loadout but better hyperspace range and a cargo capacity of 36.

This has been my grand plan all along. The Viper is merely a stepping stone. A good stepping stone, mind you, but a stepping stone nonetheless :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.