The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

This game is moving so quickly that I almost want to just wait on the sidelines until it's fully released (they said 2015 right?). I might have to pop in and try the Asp though.

Also, this game forced my hand on getting TrackIR and I'm super happy I did get it :) Makes all flying games (and FPS actually if it's supported) way more engaging.

This game is moving so quickly that I almost want to just wait on the sidelines until it's fully released (they said 2015 right?). I might have to pop in and try the Asp though.

Well, since they reset everyone back to a sidewinder and 1000 credits, and the Asp costs around 6.5 million credits, you'll have to do a lot more than just 'pop in' to try it. :D

Also, this game forced my hand on getting TrackIR and I'm super happy I did get it :) Makes all flying games (and FPS actually if it's supported) way more engaging.

The release is planned for this year, just don't know when. Also yeh, I got a TrackIR to and it's sooooo good.

I found the most weird thing using it was when I was doing a late night trading run in a hauler with my feet up on my desk, and the positioning of my camera made me feel like I was an actual space-trucker!

Still, not gonna be as cool as the oculus, but it's a very good place-holder

Things are going well for me. After days of struggling and bouncing between contracts, I finally found a trade route, and there's a lot of profit in it. I also managed to scrape enough together to grab a Cobra, so this trading is gonna be good :cool:

I'll also actually be able to play with the Cobra a bit more before we get reset again at some point in the future, which is nice :D

7tunnzJ.jpg

Romanenko Estate, with Baker in the background.

x6CI43T.jpg

A white dwarf as part of a binary system. I believe this was at LHS 6309 (one of my new trading spots). I encountered a second white dwarf in another nearby system.

LuCHiHS.jpg

Not far from the LHS 6309 white dwarf lies this rather pretty planet.

uM4RVyJ.jpg

Hill Reserve.

hXxp3XX.jpg

I also found an Ocellus, in the Hepa system (another of my trading spots).

Things are going well for me. After days of struggling and bouncing between contracts, I finally found a trade route, and there's a lot of profit in it. I also managed to scrape enough together to grab a Cobra, so this trading is gonna be good :cool:

I tried trading, but I still find that markets dry out in minutes completely randomly. A starbase will have tens of thousands of units of a trade good one moment, and when I come back 15 minutes later it's all gone.

I have outfitted my cobra for hauling cargo and am doing missions for 10-60k per trip.

I tricked out my Cobra a bit... :D

JZ8SDQX.jpg

Congrats ... I´m still flying around with a Hauler .... but a pimped up Hauler that gives you 19 ly jump distance (9 ly full loaded) and has a better energy system and better sensors, as well as 18t cargo space

I tried trading, but I still find that markets dry out in minutes completely randomly. A starbase will have tens of thousands of units of a trade good one moment, and when I come back 15 minutes later it's all gone.

I've noticed this too, and it's what drove me to bounce around between contracts until I found those couple of systems. They'll probably wind up the same, but they didn't change while I was flying around there earlier, so there may yet be hope.

What is the main objective of E: D guys? I've been researching it a bit but the wikis don't really tell u much. I'm thinking about buying it but cant make my mind up because I don't know enough about it

Cheers, :D

The main objective is, whatever you choose as your main objective ....

some may choose to get rich by trading,

others to explorer the universe ...

and others to get to Elite status by fighting (or combining fighting and grtting rich by becoming pirates :D )

The main objective is, whatever you choose as your main objective ....

some may choose to get rich by trading,

others to explorer the universe ...

and others to get to Elite status by fighting (or combining fighting and grtting rich by becoming pirates :D )

Right. so, from reading through the posts here I get the jist u can either accept contracts, do trading or attack other ships. Is that right?

Right. so, from reading through the posts here I get the jist u can either accept contracts, do trading or attack other ships. Is that right?

You can also explore unknown solar systems (and sell the scan data) and do mining (mining is not yet implemented, but will be soon).

Or just aimlessly fly around

Also, part of contracts an be attacking other ships ... or take part in wars (there are a few conflicts about systems aiming to become independent from the federation rule at the moment)

Another thing is, that trading might also include smuggling (as federation, Imperium and Independent systems may have bans on certain types of cargo)

I might also add that, in the final release version, exploring could take you a long long way from the systems frequented by other players (if you wish so),

as you will have the whole milky way (with 400*10^9 stars) as a playground.

Also you might eventually want to choose sides between the major power blocs (i.e. Imperium and Federation)

Edited by Godot

You can also explore unknown solar systems (and sell the scan data) and do mining (mining is not yet implemented, but will be soon).

Or just aimlessly fly around

Also, part of contracts an be attacking other ships ... or take part in wars (there are a few conflicts about systems aiming to become independent from the federation rule at the moment)

Another thing is, that trading might also include smuggling (as federation, Imperium and Independent systems may have bans on certain types of cargo)

I might also add that, in the final release version, exploring could take you a long long way from the systems frequented by other players (if you wish so),

as you will have the whole milky way (with 400*10^9 stars) as a playground.

Also you might eventually want to choose sides between the major power blocs (i.e. Imperium and Federation)

Nice. Im definitely going to be buying this than

IMHO I'd say there's still a lot to add to the game as far as replayability goes. Right now it's not even up to par with Battlefield in that respect (learn to play better as a team, unlock weapons, etc.). There's no point in trading as a team, and currently fighting as a team is only so exciting. The only incentive to keep playing is moneys. Also the world's beautiful, but still ;)

Oh, also for everyone wondering about trade routes... I'm not sure how secretive this has been but I think my KSP folks deserve a trade calculator :)

After purchasing the Elite: Dangerous Beta access, I actually managed to change my commander's name to William Shatner, how on earth was that not taken? Anyways, so far I've been enjoying the game. I've been blown up a few times but besides that it's mostly been space road truckers. I was wondering, what is your general opinion of the beta?

so why are there no star citizen threads?

There are Star Citizen Threads (as you could have found out by a simple forums search ;) ):

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/52194-Star-citizen-pledgeaggedon-is-today%21?highlight=star+citizen

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/48075-Star-Citizen?highlight=star+citizen

As for the lack of activity there ... you shouldn´t be all too surprised about this. After all there isn´t too much content yet ... just dogfighting and a Rallye

I haven't tried it, simply because Elite: Dangerous is the silliest name I've ever heard. I presume it's translated from some language where it makes more sense.

I'm sorry, the title of "silliest name for a game" was already taken by "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance". :P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.