The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

I haven't tried it, simply because Elite: Dangerous is the silliest name I've ever heard. I presume it's translated from some language where it makes more sense.

A bit of history might help it make more sense. :) Elite - named after the original 1984 game, and Dangerous because the Elite universe always has been a dangerous one and (probably) as a nod to the 'Dangerous' combat ranking that you could earn in the original game.

A bit of history might help it make more sense. :) Elite - named after the original 1984 game, and Dangerous because the Elite universe always has been a dangerous one and (probably) as a nod to the 'Dangerous' combat ranking that you could earn in the original game.

If the second alternative is correct, then it would make some funny names for future games:

Elite: Mostly Harmless

Elite: Novice

Elite: Expert

and so on...

Edited by gmpd2000

If the second alternative is correct, then it would make some pretty funny names for future games:

Elite: Mostly Harmless

Elite: Novice

Elite: Expert

and so on...

I'm guessing that Elite: Average got chucked out by the marketing department pretty quickly. :)

Well, according to the Elite-Ranking Ladder the next game should be named Elite: Deadly ... and the one after that Elite: Elite

after that they run into problems as the ranking ladder officially stops there ... I guess the only possible step-up from this might be Elite: David Braben :D

Well, according to the Elite-Ranking Ladder the next game should be named Elite: Deadly ...

I think that name would also be rejected, imagine this:

-Look mom, that game is called Elite, it must be good!

-Be careful son, it's deadly.

Edited by gmpd2000

Ok, from the 15 minutes I've played, Beta 3 is sweet. Yeah, there are still some bugs, but damn, it's better other than that! We did get partially reset; our ships and equipment are gone, but we have all the cash from that to our names, so it's not all bad. Also, I had a quick look at the galaxy map, and the Sol System is right on the border of playable space. Either we can visit it or we can't...

Seriously, I look forward to playing it more :D

Looks like they'll close beta access on the 22nd, so, if you wanna join beta, Do it now!

From the newsletter:

Being a Beta backer extends far beyond getting early access to the game. All Beta (and Alpha) backers have access to the beta forums and we will continue to support Alpha and Beta backers with additional benefits and special offers in the future as a thank you for the early support you have given us.

Today we want to announce one of those benefits.

In Elite: Dangerous there will be areas of the game that will not be immediately accessible. Players may have to build a reputation with the governing faction in order to be given a permit to visit an area under their jurisdiction.

The Solar system, which is the star system of the birth of humanity, is restricted in this way. In the year 3300 humanity's homeworld has become a rich playground for the successful, the wealthy, and the powerful and famous. And of course, as a Beta backer, you belong in that set. All visiting commanders will need a permit, granted by The Federation in order to visit Sol or anywhere in the Solar system. However, all Alpha and Beta backers will be given an automatic permit, without having to first earn a reputation with The Federation. (For those of you whose allegiances lie elsewhere this could be a very useful benefit indeed!).

so will the planet landings and walking around definitely be DLCs? or just updates?

- - - Updated - - -

Elite: Dangerous is releasing on 16/12/2014 (12/16/2014 for Americans)

Looks like Gamma will be short.

gamma was only a development phase for planetary annihilation

- - - Updated - - -

I released this mounstrosity yesterday, before the launch:

http://i.imgur.com/93nhAsY.jpg

wait how did you do that

so will the planet landings and walking around definitely be DLCs? or just updates?

Never heard something else than that EVA would be part of coming DLCs.

Landing on planets however may very well be part of updates (after all this was included in previous Elite-titles as well ... you were able to land on planetary spaceports and also were able to land on unowned planets/moons in order to plant/retrieve mining devices there)

Never heard something else than that EVA would be part of coming DLCs.

Landing on planets however may very well be part of updates (after all this was included in previous Elite-titles as well ... you were able to land on planetary spaceports and also were able to land on unowned planets/moons in order to plant/retrieve mining devices there)

The devs have gone on record saying that landing on planets and EVA's (walking inside and outside your ship, on stations etc) will be added by future expansions that will need to be purchased separately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.