The Elite: Dangerous thread

gmpd2000

Hey guys, I dont suppose anyone has an image of an eagle pretty much front on? (like looking directly at the cockpit)

I'm trying to do some fan art, but there are barely any pics of the eagle online and the lack of 3rd person in game doesn't help

EDIT: it needs to be almost/directly front on, I wanna draw it at a VERY slight angle, something like this:

(pic)

Like this?

EAGLE.jpg

Thought I'd post some pictures of my recent goings-on.

The first is a binary system I flew through on the way back to familiar territory, with one of the binaries being a brown dwarf:

IWSmM0g.jpg

When I finally did make it back, I got a Viper quite quickly. My primary income at the moment is bounty hunting as it has become so much more viable a method of making money. Trading has thus far proven to be a bit poor in gamma, though my current routes probably aren't the best, so I'll try and find another set (I've even done better with exploration so far, just from passing through a few systems).

Being in the original set of systems though, it must be said that Aulin Enterprise never fails to impress:

EhkAi1g.jpg

After dealing with a good number of bounties, I decided to take a stroll:

jmWu3ko.jpg

Flight assist off, just drifting along the rings, occasionally adjusting the heading so as to avoid certain death...

jBw5HHo.jpg

It was very peaceful. I recommend everyone tries it out :)

Alas, even when taking a break, duty called.

UQkmovE.jpg

This Eagle wasn't even the only one. I took it out, and then a bunch of other wanted ships came along, including a Python and an Anaconda. Fortunately, the Anaconda just sort of flew around. I decided to take down the Python, though, and actually had support from a wanted Cobra, which was... nice, I guess. I left that Cobra alive. All told, my break earned me more cash than some of my other intentional bounty hunting sessions, so I may have to go on more breaks :wink:

Finally managed to find a willing pilot to let me fly point blank into his cockpit so i could get this screenshot

315a1d072a.jpg

FINALLY I can actually start drawing, jezzus that was a pain in the ass.

Glad I took the time though, I have about 10 sketches of different cockpit perspectives that are all wrong, and I would have never guessed the size of the 'grills' on the wings

So, what do you guys thing about Elite 1.0?

I so far sold my free Eagle, got Hauler, and quickly worked my way to Cobra with a decent fit.

Now I'm cruising near Sol hunting for everything with wanted status.

I got my money worth already I tell you what! Flying from my starting system to Sol was a great adventure, and now I'm really enjoying the combat in Cobra. Maybe my ship cant do the "backflip" like in a cgi trailer, but it still flies great and shooting things is dynamic and fun as hell.

Sure, the new Elite could use many improvements (more social stuff, station chat, 3p view of some sort) and I`m sure we will get them in the future.

I think Elite is a very unique game, one of the kind at the moment - and I can understand that some features that makes it unique can be boring or tedious for newcomers (lots of ppl hate docking for example but I find it very entertaining).

Summing up - it was a good release and the game has a potential to grow even bigger and better.

I think now I wil head out to Eranin - my cool old Beta 1 starting system :)

For me there is no big difference between Gamma 2.x and Elite 1.0 which is not surprising as in Gamme 2.4 I had started a grand journey to the 700 ly away Helix Nebula.

Whose direct neighborhood I reached yesterday.

Unfortunately, it looks a little bit disappointing (Pic taken from less than 20ly away)

WOkCNIG.jpg

Here the original in comparison:

helix-nebula.jpg

http://thunderf00tdotorg.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/thursday-n-friday-29th-july-lotta-processing/

(and that´s a relatively unprocessed picture of the RL Helix Nebula ... there are more magnificient pictures with the help of long time exposure, that look much more impressve)

I think after my return (which may take another week, considering the fact that I do detailed scans of every system where I stop ... in order to make good money with the sale of scasn data upon my return) I will do another expedition to the 1500 ly away California Nebula, which looks much more impressive on the map ;)

Edited by Godot
Added Spoiler-Tags, this time working ones ;)

Please note that the photo of the original took 3 hours of exposure time!

But one should assume that the whole nebula gets brighter the nearer you come.

Lets assume that the small dot I posted in the Pic doesn´t depict the whole nebula, but just the remnant of the Supernova that caused the nebula (IMHO a plausible assumption, considering the fact that the nebula if observed from earth is as big as the moon).

In this case I should, at a distance from 20 ly from this center of the Helix Nebula I should be surrounded by a nebula that is around 32 times brighter than what we see from earth ... which would make its apparent magnitude ~2 mag. Bright enough to be observed 8with the naked eye) from the cockpit of my spaceship I would guess.

But there as nothing except for the thing I posted :(

Well, according to the map the California nebula (my next target after I return to earth with the scan data) will be much more spectacular ;) (but with 1500 ly also more than double the distance from earth compared to the Helix nebula)

Edited by Godot

would voyager still be in the ort cloud 1000 years from now?

From wikipedia:

Voyager 1 will reach the Oort cloud in about 300 years[77][78] and take about 30,000 years to pass through it.[62][71][72] Though it is not heading towards any particular star, in about 40,000 years, it will pass within 1.6 light years of the star Gliese 445, which is at present in the constellation Camelopardalis.[79] That star is generally moving towards the Solar System at about 119 km/s (430,000 km/h; 270,000 mph).[79] The Voyagers are destinedâ€â€perhaps eternallyâ€â€to wander the Milky Way.

From wikipedia:

Voyager 1 will reach the Oort cloud in about 300 years[77][78] and take about 30,000 years to pass through it.[62][71][72] Though it is not heading towards any particular star, in about 40,000 years, it will pass within 1.6 light years of the star Gliese 445, which is at present in the constellation Camelopardalis.[79] That star is generally moving towards the Solar System at about 119 km/s (430,000 km/h; 270,000 mph).[79] The Voyagers are destinedâ€â€perhaps eternallyâ€â€to wander the Milky Way.

Let's just hope it doesn't hit a comet, My ship has no shields!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.