[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

Is this compatible with StarSystems???

i've answered this before.

2) StarSystems at present is not compatible with Kopernicus

It appears that Star Systems operates in a similar fashion to Planet Factory, in that it changes the celestial body arrangement after the PSystem is spawned. However, I don't recall the behavior of OnLevelWasLoaded(int i) in a behavior which is spawned instantly on the loading of the DLL. If it starts before Kopenicus rewrites the prefab, the mod would have an outdated copy of the prefab. If executed after, then StarSystems would use the updated prefab generated by Kopernicus.

StarSystems only moves the standard planets (hardcoded in at the beginning of StarSystems.cs) to the new sun, so any generated by Kopernicus would be left adrift around the central black hole (star systems uses the original sun as the blackhole). If OvenProofMars is interested, we could merge the star setup code and the star light fixer into Kopernicus (with attribution of course, no one is here to steal or take credit for anyone's work). The star systems introduced configuration could be written as a config file for Kopernicus.

This path seems to make the most sense (to me at least) because at present, Star Systems is at the mercy of some of the issues that plagued PF (live system modification). If Star Systems operated like Kopernicus and did prefab modification, the two mods would be completely incompatible.

I've have not got a hold of ovenproofmars yet, but he did comment in this thread saying he wanted to talk. So we'll see I guess? And either way, if he's busy with real life, then that takes priority over game modding :).

Edited by Teknoman117

How do you expect this to mix with RSS? I am planning an alternate solar system... kinda like the kerbal system to ours... just more realistic. Now obviously I would like to use this upon release in this project, as PF is.... unstable, and limiting. If I like the planet how it looks directly out of this, will I need to mention it in the RSS config? Will they fight?

(Nathan if you read this, do you wish for me to ask a more RSS specific question related to this project here, not to confuse you or anyone else, or should I ask in the RSS thread?) Thanks :)

This will supersede the plugin part of RSS (well, 90% of it--there's some odds and ends that will live on). RSS, absent extra bits like the solar panel fixer (although Kopernicus might want to use that too) and KSCSwitcher will be just a set of configs for Kopernicus.

the science received from an experiment = biome multiplier * situation multiplier (from science values) * experiment base science. We've also made sure the configuration structure plays nice with module manager. No modification of the kopernicus core configuration should be necessary.

Are you saying that certain biomes could be made to give more science than others?

Are you saying that certain biomes could be made to give more science than others?

comment redacted

Edit - Even though each biome has a value, it appears to not actually do anything in practice. All the stock worlds have it set to 1.0 as well...

Edited by Teknoman117

While I am not a developer of this, I still noticed your report is a little vague.

Can you be more specific than that please? I have run Kopernicus with hardly a change in performance(Only noticeable in task manager), even on high stock time warp. Are you running non-stock time warp? Do you have other mods? Do you have a full save file? How does task manager say your computer is handling KSP, you might have reached the max processing power your computer can do. :)

Ah, It seems dynamic warp isn't compatible with this mod.

Nevermind though.

I haven't noticed any issues personally, but my current mod list for test builds is

- Kopernicus (durr...)

- HyperEdit

- Kerbal Engineer 1.0.3 custom build (our patch will be in the next release)

- Time Control custom build (again, patch has been accepted, should be next release)

- Module Manager custom build (patch has been accepted - just a small UI tweak (no reload database in RnD center))

Here's the custom build of time control (considering you were trying to use dynamic warp) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/kopernicus/releases/TimeControl%20Kopernicus%20Fix.zip

Are the kopernicus examples supposed to be outside the main Kopernicus folder in game data? Also in reference to Hodor, your math is a little wonky I believe. You doubled the radius, which according to the formula v = 4/3pi*r^3 means that the volume is approximately 8 times as much. Assuming uniform density, which you did, the mass is 8 times. However, the radius doubles so according to the law of universal gravitation, it is 2^3/2^2 or twice. I believe you are out by a factor of two :)

Are the kopernicus examples supposed to be outside the main Kopernicus folder in game data? Also in reference to Hodor, your math is a little wonky I believe. You doubled the radius, which according to the formula v = 4/3pi*r^3 means that the volume is approximately 8 times as much. Assuming uniform density, which you did, the mass is 8 times. However, the radius doubles so according to the law of universal gravitation, it is 2^3/2^2 or twice. I believe you are out by a factor of two :)

I'm using the test planet, and everything is in the Kopernicus folder within Gamedata. Check whether you have the correct folder structure inside Gamedata.

Some mods like doing something like MODNAME -> RELEASE NUMBER -> GAMEDATA -> FOLDER YOU ACTUALLY COPY.

Perhaps you just *dawns sunglasses* need to go deeper.

Edited by Immashift

When kopernicus is released, Im curious for how will we distribute Kopernicus planet packs? Do we need permision or a special license terms?

The configuration files that come with Kopernicus will be licensed under the LGPL or other free licenses, and derivatives of them can be distributed under those terms.

You will definitely not need any special license terms for configuration files you create all by yourself. You can release them under any terms you like. The LGPL license we have chosen for Kopernicus would, as I understand it, preclude us attempting to restrict your ability to use the software for any lawful purpose. I'd encourage you to choose GPL or Creative Commons licenses for your planet packs, but it's not up to us what terms you offer your work to others under.

People making overbearing terms for interacting with their mods ("no using my stuff, even by reference", "you only have permission to use this resource for your parts because I graciously condescended to give it to you") etc are possibly-able to do that only because their mods are licensed under non-free terms. Kopernicus is Free software, so you're safe from that sort of thing now and forever. Even in the case of proprietary mods, I wouldn't bet on those sort of restrictions being enforcable at all, but I'm not a lawyer.

Edited by BryceSchroeder

The configuration files that come with Kopernicus will be licensed under the LGPL or other free licenses, and derivatives of them can be distributed under those terms.

You will definitely not need any special license terms for configuration files you create all by yourself. You can release them under any terms you like. The LGPL license we have chosen for Kopernicus would, as I understand it, preclude us attempting to restrict your ability to use the software for any lawful purpose. I'd encourage you to choose GPL or Creative Commons licenses for your planet packs, but it's not up to us what terms you offer your work to others under.

People making overbearing terms for interacting with their mods ("no using my stuff, even by reference", "you only have permission to use this resource for your parts because I graciously condescended to give it to you") etc are possibly-able to do that only because their mods are licensed under non-free terms. Kopernicus is Free software, so you're safe from that sort of thing now and forever. Even in the case of proprietary mods, I wouldn't bet on those sort of restrictions being enforcable at all, but I'm not a lawyer.

Thanks for the info :)

I plan to use a "no distributing without permission, no remix distributing, no commercial use" license.

Can't wait! :D

Thanks for the info :)

I plan to use a "no distributing without permission, no remix distributing, no commercial use" license.

Can't wait! :D

That's fine of course, but why not choose CC-NC-ND? That way, if something happened to the site you uploaded it to, people would be able to quickly reupload it and ensure that your work continues to be available even if you don't immediately notice. CC-NC-ND would prevent commercial exploitation of your work or remixing, if you don't want people to do those things without your permission.

That's fine of course, but why not choose CC-NC-ND? That way, if something happened to the site you uploaded it to, people would be able to quickly reupload it and ensure that your work continues to be available even if you don't immediately notice. CC-NC-ND would prevent commercial exploitation of your work or remixing, if you don't want people to do those things without your permission.

Yes i do know What CC-NC-ND does.

I plan to use dropbox I will keep a copy on a USB drive If Dropbox fails I will either use kerbalstuff or mediafire Id highly doubt my pack will grow large where people distribute it without permission Id change the license if that was the case.

I'm using the test planet, and everything is in the Kopernicus folder within Gamedata. Check whether you have the correct folder structure inside Gamedata.

Some mods like doing something like MODNAME -> RELEASE NUMBER -> GAMEDATA -> FOLDER YOU ACTUALLY COPY.

Perhaps you just *dawns sunglasses* need to go deeper.

lol, well okay then. It's not like it's a release version =P.

The config files don't actually do anything at the moment, the DLL is still the one that hard codes kopernicus. I'll put up pre alpha 3 when i finish the atmosphere and scaled space config options. After that we'll have to finish the PQS loader.

lol, well okay then. It's not like it's a release version =P.

The config files don't actually do anything at the moment, the DLL is still the one that hard codes kopernicus. I'll put up pre alpha 3 when i finish the atmosphere and scaled space config options. After that we'll have to finish the PQS loader.

Yup yup :D I'm just saying that some mods have odd folder structures and people who only glance quickly before copying sometimes miss the correct structure, and that's why their mods break. I'm guilty of it too.

I know we're only at pre-pre-alpha here, but you can't help being excited :D Cause... planerts... and things.

It comes from PF breaking my 64bit .24.2 install with my piles of mods so I can't use it and am now planet starved lol.

Yes i do know What CC-NC-ND does.

I plan to use dropbox I will keep a copy on a USB drive If Dropbox fails I will either use kerbalstuff or mediafire Id highly doubt my pack will grow large where people distribute it without permission Id change the license if that was the case.

Your only legal obligations when dealing with Kopernicus (basic LGPL compliance)

1) You must bundle the Kopernicus license with the Kopernicus DLL and any significant copies of the source code

2) You must display the Kopernicus copyright along with your copyrights

3) If you make changes to the source code of Kopernicus, these must be made available under the same license.

Basically, just see Section 4 of the LGPL (https://www.gnu.org/licenses/lgpl.html)

Lol okay - I've accurately calculated the numbers for prealpha3/

// triple the radius
radius = 39000

// triple the radius of a sphere, the volume increases 27x (n^3) (we'll just assume uniform density).
// mass increase by 27
mass = 3.3535382e+18

// acceleration = GM / r^2
// calculated constant of gravitation using gilly numbers, G = 6.667197e-11
// punch in Hodor numbers -> (0.147 m/s^2 ASL)
geeASL = 0.0149847093

Pre alpha 3 is up on the GitHub. The kopernicus planet will disappear, because the configuration system is not complete enough to represent it. Currently, it supports generating planets as clones of other ones (to help with PF compatibility & testing of new worlds), and modifying all the settings except the PQS. I will be doing that this weekend as real life is going to eat all my time for the rest of the week. prealpha3/ has some examples of Kopernicus configuration files.

RedKerbin

switches the atmospheric colors of Kerbin to a duna-esque appearance, demonstrates atmospheric and scaled space modifications.

EelooBiomes

demonstrates the biome configuration by adding two biomes to Eeloo

Hodor

demonstrates creating a new body by using another body as a template and the orbit format.

You can disable any of these by removing them from the KopernicusExamples/ folder. We will be writing formal documentation on how everything works, but i'm tired an I want to go to bed.

Note - in the configs you'll notice not every property is defined. This is because the template system for configuration provides inheritance. Every setting that you can possibly change will inherit from the template used. If creating a body without using a template, lots of property settings will need to be written.

Edit - we now support automatic scaled space model generation from the PQS. Whatever the surface looks like, the model will match.

Red Kerbin Screenshot

9rQh0FoA

Edited by Teknoman117

Lol okay - I've accurately calculated the numbers for prealpha3/

// triple the radius
radius = 39000

// triple the radius of a sphere, the volume increases 27x (n^3) (we'll just assume uniform density).
// mass increase by 27
mass = 3.3535382e+18

// acceleration = GM / r^2
// calculated constant of gravitation using gilly numbers, G = 6.667197e-11
// punch in Hodor numbers -> (0.147 m/s^2 ASL)
geeASL = 0.0149847093

Pre alpha 3 is up on the GitHub. The kopernicus planet will disappear, because the configuration system is not complete enough to represent it. Currently, it supports generating planets as clones of other ones (to help with PF compatibility & testing of new worlds), and modifying all the settings except the PQS. I will be doing that this weekend as real life is going to eat all my time for the rest of the week. prealpha3/ has some examples of Kopernicus configuration files.

Red Kerbin Screenshot

https://db.tt/9rQh0FoA

So in terms of creating stuff, It only supports instantiation?

Anyways I will try this out later. :)