[Early development, 0.24] Kopernicus Planetary System Modifier

MJ detects planets dynamically as it is based on manual targetting.

The only thing that does not work dynamically, afaik, is the DeltaV stats window.

Kopernicus seems to be showing up in the MechJeb Delta V stats for me. I did grep the mechjeb2 source for fixed references to celestial objects, though, and found something in the rover autopilot code. I'll test that out.

Is this available for download yet?

Should be Real Soon Now , basically, the problem is that it just adds one particular planet that sort of resembles Mars but has oceans and a thick atmosphere. (And is farther from the sun than frozen Eeloo; I guess those oceans _are_ oil after all.) The objective is to make a mod that people can configure to add any planets they like. So integrating a configuration system that will make that possible is the biggest single thing that still needs to be done.

We still need to do rings and terrain scatter for it to be feature-complete for the first release, but I suppose the first beta release doesn't have to wait for that. I'll talk to Teknoman about it.

Is kopernicus planet hardcoded into the dll as PF currently? Maybe you can hardcode 2-3 templates which can be used for rescale, atmo, ocean, moons etc., if thats easier for you.

Is kopernicus planet hardcoded into the dll as PF currently? Maybe you can hardcode 2-3 templates which can be used for rescale, atmo, ocean, moons etc., if thats easier for you.

Yes, the test planet Kopernicus is currently hardcoded into the dll, but we definitely want to do it in such a way that cloning templates is not required. Apart from the technical differences, the ability to create planets de novo should be one of the advantages of Kopernicus.

I submitted a pull request for MechJeb2, fixing a minor graphical glitch involving the rover autopilot waypoints on non-canonical planets. I couldn't find anything else that might cause issues between Mechjeb2 and Kopernicus. Thanks again for the head's up.

Haven't played around with that more. *Hopefully* Squad didn't hard code a maximum.

Edit: To clarify, I hope Squad didn't introduce some bug that causes the game to break above a certain detail level.

Edited by Teknoman117

Today's Updates

As our method of injecting planets is pretty much finalized and tested, we took a short break (single day) to verify that some popular mods would work in conjunction with Kopernicus. So far we've tested MechJeb, TimeControl, and Kerbal Engineer. All three needed work =P.

Bryce found that the rover autopilot in MechJeb didn't detect the elevation properly on Kopernicus introduced worlds. Bryce fixed this issue and the change was accepted into MechJeb! The next release will most likely incorporate this change.

I discovered that Kerbal Engineer could not predict ISP, thrust to weight ratios, or delta-v for custom worlds because it hard coded in the data for all the planets. I fixed this (in both branches) and submitted pull requests. I've yet to hear back, so in the mean time here is a download of my branch: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/Kopernicus/releases/KE%201.0.3.0%20Kopernicus%20Fix.zip

Time Control (consider it our vetted replacement for PF's ultra warp) had pretty much the same story. It didn't dynamically look up worlds and I've changed it to do so. I've just submitted this, but in the event it takes awhile, here is a download of my branch: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8061287/Kopernicus/releases/TimeControl%20Kopernicus%20Fix.zip

Screenshot.2014.08_04_22.27.24.png

Edited by Teknoman117

So I actually just flew a mission in KSP last night for the first time in a while, and I got the ksp bug again :) Anyway from what I have seen so far, it is a lot more stable then PF. PF's scaled space were not always right, they shook in the planetarium, and the intercepts were shaky. All those issues were resolved, at least what I have seen so far. Very high quality work :) Though you released the time warp after I almost got there, and after I waited 10 minutes for my intercept :P Haven't seen any bugs so far, but I will update you upon landing and further testing :)

Quick side note do you mind putting the github link in the first post?

So I actually just flew a mission in KSP last night for the first time in a while, and I got the ksp bug again :) Anyway from what I have seen so far, it is a lot more stable then PF. PF's scaled space were not always right, they shook in the planetarium, and the intercepts were shaky. All those issues were resolved, at least what I have seen so far. Very high quality work :) Though you released the time warp after I almost got there, and after I waited 10 minutes for my intercept :P Haven't seen any bugs so far, but I will update you upon landing and further testing :)

Quick side note do you mind putting the github link in the first post?

i'll message Bryce.

Nice!

Make sure you submit the KER pull request to Padishar's fork, as that's the one under development I think?

Padishar's is the old version of KE. The last commit on the main repository was 5 days ago, so it's probably active. I ended up fixing both versions. Did the old one accidentally

Padishar's is the old version of KE. The last commit on the main repository was 5 days ago, so it's probably active. I ended up fixing both versions. Did the old one accidentally

Yes, Cybutek is pretty active at the moment. Since 0.24 was released, he has released 5 versions of 0.6.x.x and 4 versions of 1.x.x.x. I'm still doing some work on the simulation code but it is all in a pull request to his 0.6 repo. Once this set of fixes is done I will probably switch to do any further work on the 1.0 codebase as updates to 0.6 will probably be discontinued at some point now that 1.0 is looking good...

This is interesting.

Also, I'm glad aftokinito isn't being ignored this time.

He had good advice. It's the most logical way to approach the problem. It wasn't easy though, and I can see how someone might well have concluded that it wasn't possible. We even thought for a while that there would have to be some after-system-spawning tweaking, until Teknoman unexpectedly found a way to avoid that.

How do I install it?

Download the contents of the Pre Alpha/ on the github (see first post). Note - THIS IS NOT A RELEASE VERSION. THE MOD IS NOT COMPLETE. The pre alpha builds are a courtesy to anyone who would like to help test the mod prior to the alpha release. This will be done once we have the configuration system in place

So, I love where this mod is going. I was curious how you plan to format/implement the configs? If I knew your thoughts on that, and it would be appreciated, I could try to set up a config loading system. I'm not very experienced with Unity, but I have coded a substantial number of C# projects. Now that you guys have done the hard part (integrating with KSP/Unity) I have a number of ideas on how I could set it up to use configs. It just boils down to how you want the configs to work :)

This is looking really good! I'm very pleased that we're getting open license alternatives to some of the more venerable mods. I spent a bunch of weeks helping Krag test out PF prior to its initial release, and it always felt a little like it was held together with duct tape and baling wire. We got it reasonably stable (and clearly folks used it and enjoyed it), but this seems like a more systematic, robust effort.

I know this is probably a baked-in limitation that would be impossible to get around, but I'm curious if planetary axial tilt relative to the reference plane (ecliptic) is going to be possible.

I know this is probably a baked-in limitation that would be impossible to get around, but I'm curious if planetary axial tilt relative to the reference plane (ecliptic) is going to be possible.

I believe this is a limitation of the core game due to how it defines rotating reference frames, so, no, I very much doubt it...