[1.02] (.50)ExtraPlanetary LaunchPads Extended-Part Pack (and extras!)

Is it possible to have the parts workshop keep working even if ScrapMetal is full? If you're not playing with MKS and don't have anything else to do with ScrapMetal, then you can't ever let Metal and ScrapMetal both get full, because you'll end up in a deadlock  you can't turn Metal into RocketParts because your ScrapMetal is full, and you can't turn ScrapMetal into Metal because your Metal is full.

Only way to fix it is to somehow reduce one of them; I've generally resorted to turning off ore smelting, quicksaving, editing my save, reducing ScrapMetal by one, and then quickloading. Bit of a pain.

Is it possible to have the parts workshop keep working even if ScrapMetal is full? If you're not playing with MKS and don't have anything else to do with ScrapMetal, then you can't ever let Metal and ScrapMetal both get full, because you'll end up in a deadlock  you can't turn Metal into RocketParts because your ScrapMetal is full, and you can't turn ScrapMetal into Metal because your Metal is full.

Only way to fix it is to somehow reduce one of them; I've generally resorted to turning off ore smelting, quicksaving, editing my save, reducing ScrapMetal by one, and then quickloading. Bit of a pain.

There is indeed a way.

If you want to edit the Orbital Rocket Workshop for instance, look for this line:

MODULE
{
name = USI_Converter
converterName = RocketParts Conversion
conversionRate = 1
inputResources = ElectricCharge, 15, Metal, 0.5
outputResources = RocketParts,4.75,False,ScrapMetal,1.9,False
}

The word "False" after ScrapMetal needs to be changed to True and then you should be set.

Just chiming in to say that I've released EL 4.4.0. Relevant feature for you guys is I have "broken" the hard-coded dependency on Kethane. It's still the default, but by MM editing EL's Settings.cfg (ELGlobalSettings node) you can set a few things (default settings):

HullRecycleTarget = Metal
KerbalRecycleTarget = Kethane
KerbalRecycleAmount = 150
AlwaysForceResourceUsage = False

I recommend setting AlwaysForceResourceUsage to True. The others are up to you as I have no idea how Karbonite works.

With this, the only resources that EL actually cares about at this stage are RocketParts, kerbals, and time :).

I haven't delved into modding at all, so forgive me if this is a stupid question. But I noticed while looking through the config file that all the drills, regardless of size and weight, appear to have the same ore extraction speed. Is that intended? Why use the bigger drills then? Or is there some other factor that controls the behavior that I'm unaware of?

Somewhat off topic: Is there a document describing all these configuration values (such as extractionRateLandPerTon) and how they work somewhere?

Btw how does EPL productivity work with this? Does the MKS/OKS parts add productivity? or the habitats? Does the OKS workshop help speed up build times? And there is no MKS equivalent right? I've made an MKS base on minmus on a joint hotspot of karbonite and ore, so I can mine what I need to make rockets nicely but even small stuff takes over a day to build.

Question:

I want to use Karbonite together with EPL, but only with least EPL-parts possible.

I'll use the KASA-Spacedock and probably the EPL Landingpad (or however it's called).

Besides these two (and everything that comes with this adaptation), which parts from the EPL-pack do I really need?

Btw how does EPL productivity work with this? Does the MKS/OKS parts add productivity? or the habitats? Does the OKS workshop help speed up build times? And there is no MKS equivalent right? I've made an MKS base on minmus on a joint hotspot of karbonite and ore, so I can mine what I need to make rockets nicely but even small stuff takes over a day to build.

EPL productivity is separate. Each part has a multiplier so that certain ones are more useful. The workshops in this extension have a nice and high multiplier compare to say a stock pod. Lastly, the kerbal's stupidity affects their productivity.

Any part that has the ModuleCommand module gets a 0.25 productivity multiplier (which is terrible btw, the workshop is a 5). So the MKS/OKS parts help, a bit.

Question:

I want to use Karbonite together with EPL, but only with least EPL-parts possible.

I'll use the KASA-Spacedock and probably the EPL Landingpad (or however it's called).

Besides these two (and everything that comes with this adaptation), which parts from the EPL-pack do I really need?

You need a workshop of some sort, plus assuming you want to convert, you will need a smelter and a part that converts metal to rocketparts.

This conversion includes all of those, so you could remove most of the EPL parts and just use these instead.

HI, I'm using the last release of Karbonite, Karbonite to EPL and EPL itself on KSP 0.25 32bit, but I cannot detect any ore on Mun. Ore concentration is always 0ppm and there aren't any hotspots. Is this correct? Iwould like to build a surface base on Mun with EPL and KAS.

Thank you and good work indeed!

Would it be possible for you to create a small 3D-printer that can create any KAS storable item(KAS & USI items!)? Say if you want a Pipe end point piece, you "pay" 50 rocketparts and the item instantly spawns at/in the 3D-printer after you picked it from a menu or UI.

Would be superneat and let players avoid the hassle of going back to the VAB/SPH and then back to the offworld-base to spawn the items from a launchpad.

Anyone here also experiencing issues with the workshop, that whenever the Scrapmetal is full, RocketParts stop being created and stops deducting values from Metal and Scrapmetal, one can work around it though by blocking the Metal off, it will then continue to create RocketParts from ScrapMetal, and also deduct values from Metal -as long as the Scrapmetal bar isn't full-.

I made my first mod yesterday night, some replacement models for the smelters, because I don't like their look. (An hour of modelling, an hour of texturing, an hour of exporting, and 4 hours of figuring out the correct scale because I had intentionally modelled it as a large part then forgot and thought it was medium.) I tried to make a glow effect using an emissive animation tutorial, but I can't seem to get it to work. I think the module in the original .cfg files will only work with engines. I'm a little stuck on this... Any help is much appreciated. Also, this is a great mod. I'm loving Karbonite with EPL.

Anyone here also experiencing issues with the workshop, that whenever the Scrapmetal is full, RocketParts stop being created and stops deducting values from Metal and Scrapmetal, one can work around it though by blocking the Metal off, it will then continue to create RocketParts from ScrapMetal, and also deduct values from Metal -as long as the Scrapmetal bar isn't full-.

Or just make the config edit to allow discarding scrap metal ( http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/89774-24-2-%28V-16-7%29-ExtraPlanetary-Launchpads%28EPL%29-Karbonite-Adaptation-%289-10-14%29?p=1505483&viewfull=1#post1505483 )

Hey guys. The original author of this hasn't been seen round these parts for almost two months, so requests for new parts probably will go unheard.

@paelleon - Did you install the config I provided to update this mod to the latest Karbonite? This goes in the ExtraPlanetary folder https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yio49rq116fn25/EPL-Karbonite-Conversion.cfg?dl=0

I am trying out EPL and this karbonite adaption for the first time. Pretty neat! I may have to build a deploy-able spacedock though, the EPL one reminds me of a sprinkler head, and the one from the Enterprise warpship doesn't collapse. So obligatory whine, now I'm gonna break out MAX and make something that others can complain about. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Hey guys. The original author of this hasn't been seen round these parts for almost two months, so requests for new parts probably will go unheard.

@paelleon - Did you install the config I provided to update this mod to the latest Karbonite? This goes in the ExtraPlanetary folder https://www.dropbox.com/s/6yio49rq116fn25/EPL-Karbonite-Conversion.cfg?dl=0

I installed that and I still can't seem to see Ore on SatScan, but I can see it when I look for it directly with the part turned on. Is there a better way to get rocketparts for EPL? should I just switch from Karbonite to Kethane?

• 2 weeks later...

i have a HUGE ISSUE, i dont have kethane but have installed karbonite and the conversion mod but whenever i enter the editor, the smelter image zooms out infinity when moused over and the karbonite drills and epl augers dont mine any ore. PLEASE HELP :'(

i have a HUGE ISSUE, i dont have kethane but have installed karbonite and the conversion mod but whenever i enter the editor, the smelter image zooms out infinity when moused over and the karbonite drills and epl augers dont mine any ore. PLEASE HELP :'(

you need module fixer from here i think

and do we need kethane still i can not to open any EL launchpads or space dock GUI

Edited by BrutalRIP

Thanks for posting this Nori =)

Been away from the country for a few months,and out of touch with most things.

With your permission, id be happy to integrate the file you updated into the front page download. Finally got home, and .25 installed and its full of awesomeness!

Not sure how the conversion will fair once roverdude updates karbonite for .90 and regolith(havent had a chance to read up on it yet) But ill keep my eyes out.

(workshops also updated to not freeze up when scrap metal is full)

For one thing, it makes EPL work if you don't have MKS/OKS installed. This is currently the case with my install.

It also makes the EPL parts (augers, smelters, workshop) work as they should, although the version available in the first post doesn't work on any of the drills or augers right now.

The problem causing the drills/augers to not work is that they use the wrong module name. Changing it to the right module name makes it work correctly.

The fix is simple.

1. Open up the MM patch config file

2. Wherever it reads "name = ORSModuleRailsExtraction", change it to "name = ORSX_ModuleResourceExtraction"

3. Enjoy your working drills and augers.

I also added the appropriate SCANsat sensor to the Karbonite scanner, because the Karbonite scanner already had the right hardware for it, it just needed a firmware update to tell it what to look for. That's my RP reason, anyways. Sending up another 20-odd mapping satellites didn't exactly seem like fun to me, and they all had Karbonite scanners already.