Why are contrails appearing so fast, and at all altitudes?

Is Kerbin at a constant -5 Degrees fahrenheit, and just gets colder until roughly 20km above, where contrails disappear? Or are the engines really effecient rockets that only burn in the atmosphere, and have no flames? If not, then I hope it gets changed. Maybe replace it with a subtle blue glow that goes out a foot or so, like real jets. Contrails would be nice to have appear maybe 20 meters back from the plane at altitudes above 10km, so I can buzz the tower without smoke obscuring my rear.

You see contrary to popular belief jet engines dont run on liquid fuel, they are kerbal powered. Thats right there are kerbals inside little hamster wheel like devices turning the roters in the jets. The smoke you see is a result of the rubber on their shoes catching on fire from the friction. The kerbals need intake air to breath so when you get high enough they start passing out and you loose thrust, this also explains why jets dont work on duna or eve.

I have not actualy determined why the liquid fuel is there or where it goes as you fly but considering all the other crazy things kerbal engineers do I wouldnt rule out "it looks cool" "We had this part laying around" or "Wouldnt it be funny if we spritzed this in their faces randomly?" as valid reasons.

The temperature system has not been implemented so it is not accurate in any way. I think the devs had the exhaust cloud disappear at 20 km because the air is thinner, and only for that reason. One more thing: the jet engines are much more efficient and have a much higher effective altitude (in terms of atmospheric pressure, because of reduced oxygen intake) than real life jet engines, of any kind.

I have not actualy determined why the liquid fuel is there or where it goes as you fly but considering all the other crazy things kerbal engineers do I wouldnt rule out "it looks cool" "We had this part laying around" or "Wouldnt it be funny if we spritzed this in their faces randomly?" as valid reasons.

Kerbal biology is very different to humans and so jet fuel happens to also be a refreshing energy drink for kerbals (it's got what kerbals need, it's got hydrocarbons), they are just chugging it down as they run.

You have to notice that contrails not beeing present all time, depending on the weather conditions.

In the real world there is in indeed an contrail present at very high altitudes, due to the fact that the heat of the exaust - witch carry mutch more moisture than the atmosphere could hold at that altitude, when the exaust fumes are cooling down - condenses after leaving the engine. Even at lower altitudes a contrail can be visible, depending on the weather conditions.

But:

Real wether is not availibe in KSP. And if you want to implement mutch more of contrails you are breaking the game engine, wittch is constructed to evaluate the physical stress on your rocket/spaceplane, witch is more important i guess.

Or do you want a 6-10 FPS framerate while recording a KSP-session? I guess not ....

The basic aerodynamics is considered a "placeholder", I wouldn't expect the weather not to be. I'd love to see believable weather systems by 1.0, but ultimately it's just eye candy.

Might be more than eye candy, weather could have significant gameplay effects. Heavy rain or winds could adversely affect ascent. Delaying to wait for good conditions might be enough to miss a transfer window if you don't include some leeway. Crosswinds could also affect ease of landing at the runway for that sweet 100% recovery.

Might be more than eye candy, weather could have significant gameplay effects. Heavy rain or winds could adversely affect ascent. Delaying to wait for good conditions might be enough to miss a transfer window if you don't include some leeway. Crosswinds could also affect ease of landing at the runway for that sweet 100% recovery.

Yeah but that wouldn't be an improvement to the game. There is already enough sit around and wait in this game, waiting on optimal launch conditions would just be irritating.

Yeah but that wouldn't be an improvement to the game. There is already enough sit around and wait in this game, waiting on optimal launch conditions would just be irritating.

So don't wait. I'd quite enjoy fighting to keep control of a rocket as it flew through a storm. Part of the reason I have EVE installed is because it's fun to come roaring down through the cloud layer blind only to realise that you're about to whack into the top of a mountain if you don't pull up in time.

More to the point: anything like this should be implemented as a switchable difficulty option. Them that wants it gets it, them that don't won't.

So don't wait. I'd quite enjoy fighting to keep control of a rocket as it flew through a storm. Part of the reason I have EVE installed is because it's fun to come roaring down through the cloud layer blind only to realise that you're about to whack into the top of a mountain if you don't pull up in time.

More to the point: anything like this should be implemented as a switchable difficulty option. Them that wants it gets it, them that don't won't.

I am with you here 100%. There is nothing more tense than descending through a tense cloud soup... Especially on Eve, where the clouds could go down to the surface...

Wind and rain would be nice, but as you said, it should be an option.

I would also love to see an Apollo-12 style lightning strike from time to time, if you choose to launch during a storm.

Come on guys, are you really going to argue about the representation of vapor trails?

one of us...one of us...one of us...

Kids_votd1995.jpg

Seriously though, I think it's about time the devs pay some attention to the placeholder areodynamics, and by extension, weather patterns. Even if clouds are cosmetic, I think they need to be there.

Edited by Greenfire32

• 3 weeks later...

Temperature is a great idea as long as it doesn't add a performance hit, mine's struggling already.

I'm not sure I'd want it to affect the flight model though, icing up windows and contrails in the right conditions would be ok but dropping out of the sky because of ice buildup on the wings would be a bit too hardcore for my taste.

• 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.