Naval Battle Club

astecarmyman

Yeah eventually..... I've recently had the urge to "practice" my skills in Battlefield 3. I get that sometimes. I play a game for months, then decide to move to a game I used to play a long time ago....

no problem, i've got finals in two weeks and i'm gonna be mostly gone from KSP anyway.

I've just been quietly working on new ships and land units... :)

Hopefully things will get interesting once SQUAD comes out with MP in the future. (Which they did say could potentially happen once the game is done for the most part.)

Reason being, most (if not all) of our warships are suited perfectly for turn-based combat. Once some form of stable MP comes out (such as a DMP update that fixes some of its bugs, or an official MP update), ships will need to be adapted for use in real-time combat. In that scenario, they'd need to be fast, tough (but not so much so that they are flying fortresses), maneuverable, and have high-velocity, rapid fire munitions so that they can attack targets quickly, then escape.

That's just my opinion, and why I'm switching gears somewhat towards developing SSTOs and dropship-type craft, as they're likely the types of craft that will be adapted into MP-grade fighters when the time comes.

EDIT:

I'm still hoping to battle, though. Anyone up for this?:

Dres

3 ships (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large)

Max tonnage: 350

standard guidelines/rules apply, and no carriers. Standalone fighters are A-OK, but they must use missiles smaller than 1.25 meters.

Landing is allowed, provided you're crazy/skilled enough to pull it off.

Edited by ScriptKitt3h

Also, astec, I don't expect to be able to have land technology as powerful as yours (except missile technology and air raids).

That's fine, how about we do a limit of 50tons and 4 crafts? (Also if you are using aircraft make sure to park them no further than 5km from the runway so I don't have to drive forever to kill them)

This is the first time my tanks will be tested against aircraft. Im excited :D

Ha that's ace! She does indeed look threatening.

I found the ship goes over 24 M/s...

Also, your turret has an extra unintended feature. When I'm changing direction, the turret seems to keep onto the original target I pointed it at, almost like an auto gyro.

MFBnG0k.jpg

0ngiemD.jpg

@ astec

I was looking maybe (for both sides) have 4 tanks, and 2 aircraft. Now, the problem is, my aircraft are fragile. They could most likely be one-shotted by a tank in the first round. So, yeah, eliminating the aircraft are probably everyone's first priority, though I'd rather attempt to keep the game fair, instead of constant "bombing runs" or the lack of air support. But, I was hoping that I could test the base vs. base concept near the KSC? (The grasslands behind it are fine)-where there are 2 targets that your forces must destroy to win (or secondary victory goal-destroy all enemy forces, if you really want to) objective A. Command Center-Auxillary power-and B. Power complex/auxillary command.

Although, if you wish, unlimited forces (reinforcements until one loses)?

Off subject, but you should know, I may be a bit busy with a gas giant texture I was putting together (for a possible planet pack for Kopernicus-I like scenery a lot), so I may lose a few hours time trying to work seams out on a texture, unless anyone has a way of dealing with it in GIMP, I'll be sorting it out.

Picture: http://imgur.com/T9Cl1ng

Note the seams on the planet-that's what I'm attempting to fix...help is appreciated though. :P

Edited by Tynton

As of late, I have been constructing a new cruiser; I will likely have it done by tomorrow. Likewise, I wished to outfit this vessel with new weapons technology; after some upgrades:

aqJsPWX.png

FzpFSP4.png

This is what remains of a Drek after one shot; I cut it in half. Pretty good for a single missile, I would say. :cool:

Would people mind doing some fire tests on a few of my ships?

I have a destroyer, a battlecruiser and a dreadnought in Kerbin orbit (If the dreadnought is too laggy, I don't mind if you leave it out), I'd like some feedback on the armour systems, they're all variations on a theme with most of the difference internally.

20q1eVI.jpg

persist: https://www./?dre8m8k88yuu8vw

As I need to test my new armaments, I will gladly accept the new targets. :D

I will probably not get back to you with the results until tomorrow, however.

Also, a 475-ton battleship?! That is...terrifying.

I have a destroyer, a battlecruiser and a dreadnought in Kerbin orbit (If the dreadnought is too laggy, I don't mind if you leave it out), I'd like some feedback on the armour systems, they're all variations on a theme with most of the difference internally.

http://i.imgur.com/20q1eVI.jpg

persist: https://www./?dre8m8k88yuu8vw

Right on it.

From of what I saw of your ships last night, Mr Tegu, the were extremely durable from the sides and slightly weaker in front, but rather vulnerable from the back. I only tested with my large missile, however, so that may not be as true of smaller munitions.

I found the FiendMK2 fairly structurally sound, and if I had a better computer, I would have tested several angles of fire. However, I managed to do a fair amount of damage just by letting loose the entire armament of one of my cruisers.

Main points:

It is weak to fire in the front and back, especially with the engines cornered in like that. Consider a new kind of cover.

Sides are strong and sturdy.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Meet my new battlecruiser, probably my strangest ship yet:

tUTTR7p.png

This is the C3V Zwicky, a Dark Matter Class Battlecruiser; it is 257 tons at 1208 parts, with 3.1 km/s of delta-v and 104 tons of armament.

I'm still hoping to battle, though. Anyone up for this?:

Dres

3 ships (1 small, 1 medium, 1 large)

Max tonnage: 350

standard guidelines/rules apply, and no carriers. Standalone fighters are A-OK, but they must use missiles smaller than 1.25 meters.

Landing is allowed, provided you're crazy/skilled enough to pull it off.

Would you be willing to try the two missiles or ten tons rule? I would be willing to battle either way, but I am curious as to how such a battle would play out. I still need to retrofit the other ship I am planning to use (the old Vertex), but I can do that quickly; my flagship will the be the above battlecruiser.

Edited by Three1415

I've built my first ship!

I call it the MissFire. (Miss is short for Missile not bad shooting.)

Before anybody asks, no i will not be having a sea battle just yet.

http://i.imgur.com/NTkLLJX.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/7VXuJPk.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/cPvSkYX.png

That's cute!

Just stay on your territorial waters if I were you.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

That's cute!

Just stay on your territorial waters if I were you.

http://imgur.com/a/p7vLD

Territorial violations?

There are... solutions... :wink:

0ngiemD.jpg

PmmIJnv.jpg

Not to forget the Aegis System.

SWSJMmP.png

And I still like the aesthetics on my older burke.

ColA2FL.png

Not to mention the VTOL ASW weapons capability.

Edited by andrew123

Upon returning to the old Vertex, I realized that, as it was my first functional warship, it had been built long before I had actually figured out what I was doing in terms of weapons and armor, and so, rather than renovating it, I scrapped it and built a new one in its image:

DvyLTkK.png

Behold, the Vertex Class Destroyer! As it now masses in at 72.6 tons and is 840 parts (blame hyperdense armor and effective 12-fold symmetry for this), I felt a class change was in order. In any event, it is now far superior to its predecessor, while still retaining much of its aesthetic.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.