KSP, Orbital Mechanics, Kerbin from the moon and conspiracies

AstroRick

Recently a conversation with a conspiracy-minded friend of mine brought some questions about KSP orbital mechanics to mind. To those lending credence to the Moon Landing Conspiracies have stated that certain pictures of the "full earth" taken from the moon would be impossible to take.

My immediate thoughts were to plan a mission to the Mun in KSP to see if the photos could be replicated.

Are the orbital mechanics in KSP close enough to those of the earth-moon system for a mission like this to provide representative answers or examples?

Don't throw things. I -know- we landed on the moon. >.>

If you can see the full face of the moon from the surface of Earth, would it not stand to reason that you can see the full face of the Earth from the surface of the moon?

And yes, KSP's orbital mechanics are more than good enough to get accurate evidence.

Though I don't know what good it will do you. Conspiro's only see evidence that supports their ideas.

Basically, when the moon is between the sun and earth, the earth appears "full" and the moon is "dark"/"empty"/ "new"

When the earth is between the sun and moon, the moon appears full and the earth is "dark"/"empty"/"new"

The phases are basically opposites of each other.

This is easy to replicate in KSP.

Or you could look at the date of the 1st moonlanding: July 20, 1969

http://www.calendar-12.com/moon_calendar/1969/july

Based on the phase of the moon viewed from earth, the earth must have been pretty full viewed from the moon.

Also note that the "earthrise" pictures were taken from lunar orbit, not the surface. As the moon is tdially locked, the earth is stationary in the lunar sky.

I found this video

(nice aside from the now-somewhat-cheesy music). A more interesting video is this HD video from a recent Japanese moon probe:

The mission (which I have decided to do) is more for my own knowledge than for convincing anyone else. That orbit looks pretty low...

If you launch toward the full Mun in KSP you have an chance of Kerbin blocking the sun leaving you out of power.

If you are real unlucky this last all the way from where you wanted to lift Pe out of impact trajectory to you reach Mun.

But yes the only solar panels on top of craft and launch toward full Mun is far easier to get, the poor rover failed the crash test.

You won't be able to convince him anything. He's obviously a nutter. Nutters' brains work differently. They have a predefined set of beliefs and then selectively use input data to create a database which complies with the beliefs.

You won't be able to convince him anything. He's obviously a nutter. Nutters' brains work differently. They have a predefined set of beliefs and then selectively use input data to create a database which complies with the beliefs.

All of our brains work like that and failing to recognise it can lead you down the same path.

The brain builds a complex framework for understanding the universe through everything you experience in your life. When one little fact seems to contradict a large framework covering a broad range of phenomena, it makes more sense (in general) to try and find a way to reinterpret the fact in terms of the framework than to rebuild the framework in terms of the fact. This is exactly the same thing we do when we see a claim about superluminal neutrinos: we assume there must probably be a mistake because it would invalidate to many things we think we know.

You and I have had broader and better exposure to the topics at hand and have, as a result, built ourselves relatively decent frameworks for understanding the science and engineering behind spaceflight. Your typical "nutter" isn't so much insane as chronically ill-informed over a period of many years.

Yea, you could use KSP to show him his argument is ......... But don't expect it to actually sway his views. I am convinced you could strap those conspiracy nuts into a saturn V and land them in tranquility base and they'd still deny its possible.

All of our brains work like that and failing to recognise it can lead you down the same path.

The brain builds a complex framework for understanding the universe through everything you experience in your life. When one little fact seems to contradict a large framework covering a broad range of phenomena, it makes more sense (in general) to try and find a way to reinterpret the fact in terms of the framework than to rebuild the framework in terms of the fact. This is exactly the same thing we do when we see a claim about superluminal neutrinos: we assume there must probably be a mistake because it would invalidate to many things we think we know.

You and I have had broader and better exposure to the topics at hand and have, as a result, built ourselves relatively decent frameworks for understanding the science and engineering behind spaceflight. Your typical "nutter" isn't so much insane as chronically ill-informed over a period of many years.

No, our brains do not work just like that. I am talking about the highest order of functions, consciousness within neocortical matter which deals with awareness, logic, and combines it with knowledge, not inputs per se. Yes, brains will be selective about most inputs, otherwise it would be a cacophony and complete chaos, rendering us disabled.

True, they mostly aren't clinically insane, but you'd be surprised how many of them have undiagnosed mild paranoia, serious OCD, etc.

Yea, you could use KSP to show him his argument is ......... But don't expect it to actually sway his views. I am convinced you could strap those conspiracy nuts into a saturn V and land them in tranquility base and they'd still deny its possible.

Let's design a lander to take all the conspirators to the landing sites. Then when they get there. "Nope it's Photoshop I'm telling ya. I'm right your, your wrong, Kevin Bacon wasn't in Footloose."

Edited by Motokid600

consciousness within neocortical matter which deals with awareness, logic, and combines it with knowledge, not inputs per se

[citation needed]

True, they mostly aren't clinically insane, but you'd be surprised how many of them have undiagnosed mild paranoia, serious OCD, etc.

These do probably contribute to the problem but having several mild neuroses is normal. Unless you happen to be a psychopath, you almost certainly have them.

[citation needed]

You need a citation for a claim that normal everyday claims are dismissed by some people because they are stupid? Where the hell am I going to find that citation?

Really, you're abusing the "citation needed" thingy.

These do probably contribute to the problem but having several mild neuroses is normal. Unless you happen to be a psychopath, you almost certainly have them.

I wasn't talking about mild neuroses. Those things are temporary. When someone pisses you off, you're basically mentally disturbed.

I've mentioned more serious disturbances. Have you ever talked to a conspiracy nutter? It's like a biblethumper. They are conditioned to have an irrational response, and they often have underlying, chronic mental disturbance which is visible not only by the lack of reasoning, but by examining their physical behaviour and learning about their history.

Can we please have Science labs threads that are about science? It's not too much to ask is it?

Also, conspiracy theories are banned, because they cause so much trouble, alsoX2, arguing causes trouble, so yeah, closing thread :)