Here's Something Hugo Made

SQUAD

This whole thread is surreal. Those parts look pretty bad. You'd think Squad would have had professional artists by now. KSP is the 58th most played game on steam right now. Far Cry 3 is in 60th place. Does anyone know how many copies Far Cry 3 sold? It's over 9 million! They can afford to do better. This is just silly.

I suppose art isn't exactly a priority now, but I agree. There's no reason not to get a dedicated, full time artist to make good-looking parts. Stock rockets look medicore (except the NASA pack, it actually resembles what an actual rocket looks like), stock planes look just plain bad.

This whole thread is surreal. Those parts look pretty bad. You'd think Squad would have had professional artists by now. KSP is the 58th most played game on steam right now. Far Cry 3 is in 60th place. Does anyone know how many copies Far Cry 3 sold? It's over 9 million! They can afford to do better. This is just silly.

Thanks for this, i fully agree. Playing stock doesnt mean that everything available has to be praised. Im my eyes these parts are very sloppy and not at all good looking. Or realistic at that (as a potential justification for bad looks). Surreal indeed.

Just to begin with, it's cross section is not round which renders it as useless as Mk3 stuff.

Exactly my problem with them. One of the biggest problems with the planeparts is how they only fit themselves, people expected the artpass to fix the issue, but this makes you wonder if Squad knows why people were asking for the artpass in the first place.

Personally, i say start from zero again with the MK3 parts, this ones are going to have the exact same problems as the old ones.

Hope the IVA is at least worth to look at.

I won't hold my breath on that one.

...this makes you wonder if Squad knows why people were asking for the artpass in the first place.

It's even worse than that I think. Aircraft cockpits are some of the most difficult models to make convincingly, and they gave the job to an intern. What I wonder is if they're still treating this like a pet project. It's too late for that. Time to get serious, ok Squad? Even the tone of that first post was like "Good job Hugo! I'm going to put this riiiight here on the fridge for eeeveryone to see."

Ridiculous.

Don't assume that the game design style strives for realism, and that the parts look bad because they're not realistic, or next thing you know you'll start complaining that Squad couldn't model a proper human being, only those weird big headed green guys.

KSP is stylized. I like it that way. If you don't, there are plenty of mods with a more realistic approach that you can download - that's the beauty of a game that is mod friendly. Or you could just go play Orbiter.

Don't assume that the game design style strives for realism, and that the parts look bad because they're not realistic,

The longest-running undertow against KSP design has been "it's not completely realistic." I mean nevermind at no point did Squad say they were shooting for an entirely realistic game, but that never seems to phase the kids looking for more sim and less game with each new design update. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I like the new part, but like a few others have said I'm concerned about the shape. It's non-standard, which means it'll need adapter parts to 'fit' with other parts, which makes it less of a part you can use with anything, and more of a 'set piece', which limits creativity on a whole.

The longest-running undertow against KSP design has been "it's not completely realistic." I mean nevermind at no point did Squad say they were shooting for an entirely realistic game, but that never seems to phase the kids looking for more sim and less game with each new design update. I wouldn't take it too seriously.

I understand that, and I think it's okay if you'd prefer the game was more realistic. I only have issue with people calling names and saying a perfectly legitimate design decision is unprofessional or ridiculous.

I personally LOVE the stock parts, NASA and non-NASA scale. The designs really and truly fit the Kerbals, and while I agree some are better than others, Hugo has done a good job recreating this style. And it's a hell of a lot better than what we had before. The stock parts (other than NASA) were done by professionals. (NovaSilisko and ClaraLyrae), they were the Content creators hired in large part to model parts for money.

Choo choo!

Yes, I see it now. :D

The longest-running undertow against KSP design has been "it's not completely realistic."

No. Realism is what people bring up when they defend stock parts. It's called a strawman argument.

It goes like this:

Person A: I don't like this butter sandwich. I'd like some meat in it.

Person B: KSP is not supposed to be a gourmet meal!!!

It sounds dumb and completely stops any discussion dead in it's tracks. It's like there's never any compromise!

Fact: KSP has fun game mechanics.

Fact: KSP models would look right at home in a games computing student project as demonstrated here.

Every time stock models come up I get a feeling like people are defending them because they can't disassociate those two very separate ideas in their heads. I wish people would learn to recognise what it is to be loyal to Squad and what it is to be so damn polite that you never offer anything constructive.

Finally I'm not complaining about the artistic style here. I'm complaining about quality. Yes. Mod makers do a better job. Even those who aim to make stock-alike parts somehow end up producing better quality. Look at Porkjet. ALso look at the KSC buildings. They look very similar in style and quality to B9 Aerospace don't they?

The stock parts (other than NASA) were done by professionals. (NovaSilisko and ClaraLyrae), they were the Content creators hired in large part to model parts for money.

O.O

A professional is not simply someone who takes money for work. There's more to it than that.

A professional:

- is skilled

- takes pride in doing the best job possible

- develops their skills over the course of their career.

Anyway Hugo was an intern.

I only have issue with people calling names and saying a perfectly legitimate design decision is unprofessional or ridiculous.

Here's another strawman. What was I referring to when I said "ridiculous"? Don't just throw words around. If you want to respond then make sure you understand what's being said.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

Here's another strawman. What was I referring to when I said "ridiculous"? Don't just throw words around. If you want to respond then make sure you understand what's being said.

Not being a mind reader, I can only understand by reading and interpreting a text. From interpreting what you wrote, you're judging quality very subjectively - evaluating by your own choice of terms, such as describing the whole situation (Squad hiring an intern to produce content) as "surreal" and "ridiculous". I meant to point that out by noting that my own subjective evaluation of the quality of those parts is very different, and that your expectations do not necessarily match the plans of the developers.

My interpretation of what you wrote might be wrong, and the fault may lie partly on me. For instance, I can't make sense of the butter sandwich example you gave. Since you already implied I'm dumb, I'll leave at that and refrain to contribute any further to the discussion. You can disregard my comments as strawmen arguments.

Hate to say it, I'm the first to admit I'm just an average model maker but... anyway the quality of the mods produced for this game has always knocked the stock stuff for six , just like the image below you may not like the style but you can't knock the quality, Ill shut up now and take the toasting like a man :P

9k43rB1.png

I kinda like hugos parts they fit with the stock parts and look much better than what we had. I just hope that they wont end up like the old parts and become useless, but we have only seen 2 of his parts so far so I don't see the big fuss right now.

I kinda like hugos parts they fit with the stock parts and look much better than what we had. I just hope that they wont end up like the old parts and become useless, but we have only seen 2 of his parts so far so I don't see the big fuss right now.

There's actually the new Mk1 cockpit by Hugo, and it's pretty good if you ask me. Those Mk3's are not and need to be redone IMO.

EDIT: Found it

UX6tVeM.png?1

Edited by Veeltch

I dont know if I like the new Mk 3 it dose look like a train and less like the shuttle

I hope they add the new one and not replace the Mk3 with it as it would totally ruin the look of all my craft that already use it.

I think the main thing they need as has already been stated here is the internals both for Mk 2 & 3 as these are really overdue

Below is 2 pics of what I believe are pritty SSTO's with the Mk3. Again wish they had just made the inturn do internals for it instead no offence Hugo

iUIOglU.jpg

ppU73oz.jpg

Edited by KandoKris

tumblr_inline_nadgl16XYm1rr2wit.jpg

Bye, Hugo. Your work will live on in KSP.

Goodbye Hugo. Hope you come back for next summer. That cockpit kinda resembles a DC-8.But I don't think it should replace the Mk3. The Mk3 should just be revamped(I.e. recrisped models and textures like with the Mk1). It should be the Mk4, and they should make it have a crew of 2 and have a passenger cabin for 4, and have a tailcone just for this.

Nope. This should take it's place. have a nice time in the s***er old mk3. Hello new Mk3. I want 0.26 to come out now.

Edited by Reichtangle

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.