Look Who's Moved into the KSC!

SQUAD

Thank goodness that's an "H" on top of the building instead of a "bullseye". That would be sure to attract most of my launch debris. :wink:

Squad, you've missed a trick here.

hmm from the shape of the building i can discern that it will be placed in between the tracking station and R&D department....

IDK, judging from the window size, it might be a bit smaller than that space.

rS4lF86.png

m4Eo8su.png

But it could be.

Guys, its probably going to be used to manage your reputation.

Now that you point it out, this idea does sound likely.

Perhaps there will be more to the reputation system than we suspected, more even than the plans to have it traded for science or funds.

This helipad is ROUND! I can finally have a real reason to make a UFO :sticktongue: and i thought it looked small but who needs to do much administration in a VERY Kerbal Space Program anyway?!

Besides those points...It looks fantastic. Can't actually wait for more stuff to crash, I mean land gently onto!

Tweety

Isn't the purpose of the building going to be to trade money for science and the other way around? Or science for rep? Or something like that?

Anyway the model looks cool to me. Very B9-ish. And yes, I agree it could use some more polygons on the main round center piece.

Some advice on the model:

1. 20 polys round for an object that large is far too few.

2. One whole edge of the building has broken vertex normals facing the camera and these should be easy to fix. (if those are still broken in the game release that'd be inexcusable, this is immensely easy in both Blender and 3Dsmax to solve) fixing this would also make the window on that edge not look quite so awkward.

3. Some building features look a bit too "flat" imo, like the big glass front with the door, and I think the buildings edges could do with some feature interest (like flashing panels or a lip) but that depends how hard you're budgeting the polygons here.

4. The stairwell looks kinda awkward. Shape seems odd to me, that and it being next to a window (though if the stairs are a free floating frame inside I guess that could explain it from an architecture standpoint.)

building models surprisingly aren't easy tbf, mainly what stalled me doing the same so much. But these are definitely things that could be addressed.

I'll counterpoint the low-poly complaints by saying that the number of faces on the cylindrical tower seems appropriate given that the exterior texture appears to be flat slabs. Now, it may be better to double the number of faces so that each slab (as opposed to each pair of slabs) is a face, and then windows occupy a pair of faces to add more visual interest.

The things that jump out at me about the tower are:

- the first floor window with an edge right in the middle of a pane

- the first floor roof edge trim just fitting flush with the tower

- something about the tower roof seems off to me, I'm not sure what, it could be the limited number of faces on the edge of the helipad lining up exactly with the roof edges.

I'll counterpoint the low-poly complaints by saying that the number of faces on the cylindrical tower seems appropriate given that the exterior texture appears to be flat slabs.

It looks intentional to me. Construction is made easier by straight lines and edges, and round walls take a lot more planning and care. The design seems practical to me.

As revealed by Maxmaps on today’s Squadcast, here’s your first look at a work in progress version of 0.25’s brand new Administration Building.

As in, it's not complete. Perhaps some of the complaints being made are rooted in quick-fix-to-make-it-presentable changes for this posting.

It looks intentional to me. Construction is made easier by straight lines and edges, and round walls take a lot more planning and care. The design seems practical to me.

It's actually really common for "round" buildings to be polygonal in plan view with flat surfaces. An example:

big-deltec.jpg

Seriously, some of you nitpick WAAAY too much. It needs to be low poly due to the fact there are now a good few buildings at KSC, and be a bit more mindful that perhaps not everyone has a computer as powerful as yours, and that SQUAD have to take that into account.

For its poly count, it looks lovely. Just the sort of place you can imagine the Kerbal suits heading to to discuss the money issues that those Kerbal scientist boffins cause them by wanting to fly to Eeloo in a gold plated warp ship, outfitted with multiple jacuzzis for comfort! :)

(Just nobody tell them that jacuzzis dont work in space...the water goes everywhere!)

Edited by Stevie_D

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.