[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

384 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

The new one uses four, which makes sense.

Are you getting all physics-ey on me? This is for Kerbals! They should feel lucky if they have safety grates on the fan intakes...

I bet they'd be fast with a couple of BACCs strapped to the sides...

Of course, you'd probably have to make dual fan models for the new version, or not overlap them in the build.

Are you talking about a bunch of really small fans all pointing in different directions or larger fans like a helicopters rear rotor? Or some hybrid that can gimbal/vector.

PS

Can we get some larger cargo containers, maybe the size of the cargo bay, those small ones are nice but when you have alot of them stuck together you get alot of bending.

Are you talking about a bunch of really small fans all pointing in different directions or larger fans like a helicopters rear rotor? Or some hybrid that can gimbal/vector.

Well... Depends on your definition of "larger"...

...What if I had a fairly large (think 1.25m diameter, possibly 2.5m diameter) ducted fan...

edit: What I think he means is that the ducted fans would be controlled by the RCS system, rather than the main throttle. That way, you can keep yourself flying without needing a fancy throttle mod, and still have control over your horizontal movement.

PS

Can we get some larger cargo containers, maybe the size of the cargo bay, those small ones are nice but when you have alot of them stuck together you get alot of bending.

You do realize that the cargo containers can hold the MKS and OKS modules, right? And since this is made by the same consortium (USI), they are unsurprisingly designed to fit with those parts. :)

Edited by madlemur

PS

Largish. And no reason why not, I'll add it to the issues list.

Well... Depends on your definition of "larger"...

edit: What I think he means is that the ducted fans would be controlled by the RCS system, rather than the main throttle. That way, you can keep yourself flying without needing a fancy throttle mod, and still have control over your horizontal movement.

You do realize that the cargo containers can hold the MKS and OKS modules, right? And since this is made by the same consortium (USI), they are unsurprisingly designed to fit with those parts. :)

I believe he means longer cargo modules for the honeybadger.

Im referring to the 1m tanks not the 5m cargo containers. I would be nice to have larger tanks, so we don't need 20 tanks.

Heyas

Just signed up, first post on the forums and I hope I'm not stepping on your toes Roverdude with my retexture of the HoneyBadger. :blush:

I recently got into KSP and I've found your mods, they're awesome and I'm having a lot of fun with them.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my simple retexture of the HoneyBadger with you and the other KSP people. I did a recolour and added more detail with metal scratches all over the place... :P

Also added some "bomber nose art" to the cockpit on both sides... :cool:

Right now it's just my personal use, but let me know if you'd be interested in the files. Here are some screenshots of it, it blends really well with some of your other stuff. The screenshots don't do it justice, looks better ingame up close.

Curious what you think of it.

-HT

honeybadger1.jpg

honeybadger2.jpg

honeybadger3.jpg

No, not using FAR. I've got tons of mods in, most of them picked apart to get memory usage under control, and mostly stick to non-atmosphere flying. When I can get the x64 version working, I'm going to redo my whole setup with FAR involved. :D

You're right, and CoL and CoM aren't tuned on this build - it was quick to test how Firespitter handled lots of engines + lots of mass. Improved balance via CoL/CoM would probably make it even easier to get a solid motionless hover - just get most horizontal velocity out and then turn off SAS, essentially. I'll give it a go - now that I can fly the Honeybadger at low speeds, I'll be using it a ton.

Yes, IntakeAir/Atm would work. I just wanted to add the compressor part to help balance the endless supply of RCS plus B9 has other compressed air RCS thrusters. The way its set up, I've got a good reserve, but its not endless. It refills quick though, probably too fast. Also takes some power, but with the reactor, there's not much concern over power needs. :D

I tried your Firespitter MM and it worked, my only issue was it was making me seasick. It would cut thrust then start up again so the craft would bounce the whole time.

It would be pretty neat if we could get a cargo module that fit precisely inside the cargo bay, so the honeybadger could fly in and drop off a load of materials.

I like the idea - can you please log a Github issue for this otherwise I will forget it when I'm playing with FTT next

Heyas

Just signed up, first post on the forums and I hope I'm not stepping on your toes Roverdude with my retexture of the HoneyBadger. :blush:

I recently got into KSP and I've found your mods, they're awesome and I'm having a lot of fun with them.

Anyways, I just wanted to share my simple retexture of the HoneyBadger with you and the other KSP people. I did a recolour and added more detail with metal scratches all over the place... :P

Right now it's just my personal use, but let me know if you'd be interested in the files. Here are some screenshots of it, it blends really well with some of your other stuff. The screenshots don't do it justice, looks better ingame up close.

-HT

http://s8.postimg.org/5ssuiadpv/honeybadger1.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/p3nson8e5/honeybadger2.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/ci3w0ycd9/honeybadger3.jpg

See your PM - I love these :D And I want to include them with the core pack!

I tried your Firespitter MM and it worked, my only issue was it was making me seasick. It would cut thrust then start up again so the craft would bounce the whole time.

:( I didn't notice any bouncing, it was nice and smooth. Did you make sure to add each of the new hover commands for all of the VTOL engines? Very curious in any case - I think my two test builds were overpowered a bit, so maybe it was having an easier time compensating? I'd be interested to try your build, if you wouldn't mind sharing the .craft file.

...<snip>

Also added some "bomber nose art" to the cockpit on both sides... :cool: ...<snip>

See your PM - I love these :D And I want to include them with the core pack!

Yay! Nicely done! I love the nose art.

Dropping an update here for the reskin of the HoneyBadger now that RoverDude gave me the green light. :)

I've gone back and scrapped what I've done initially to start over with more detail.

It will be done in three flavours; the original olive/mustard, safety orange and gunmetal gray/white.

Here is a preview of the Command Pod:

Honey_Badger_Reskin_Cmd_Pod.jpg

honeybadger7.jpg

Edited by Climberfx
Add new screenshot

Heyas

-HT

http://s8.postimg.org/5ssuiadpv/honeybadger1.jpg

http://s9.postimg.org/p3nson8e5/honeybadger2.jpg

http://s17.postimg.org/ci3w0ycd9/honeybadger3.jpg

I love your textures, the nose art is just so perfect :)

Dropping an update here for the reskin of the HoneyBadger now that RoverDude gave me the green light. :)

I've gone back and scrapped what I've done initially to start over with more detail.

It will be done in three flavours; the original olive/mustard, safety orange and gunmetal gray/white.

Here is a preview of the Command Pod:

http://s30.postimg.org/45zzxrr1d/Honey_Badger_Reskin_Cmd_Pod.jpg

Dude, awesome! I won't have to deal with the nasty base colouring :D

:( I didn't notice any bouncing, it was nice and smooth. Did you make sure to add each of the new hover commands for all of the VTOL engines? Very curious in any case - I think my two test builds were overpowered a bit, so maybe it was having an easier time compensating? I'd be interested to try your build, if you wouldn't mind sharing the .craft file.

Sure, have at it;)

On another note this model seems to work pretty well.

Cruises pretty well at 17km.

tgdXoy4.png

Brought it down to 8km, hovered and turned around to chase the sun.

1WExHHw.png

Jeb deleted the attempted island VTOL landing pics, he says it never happened. Tell that to the mechanics......

Edited by Donziboy2

You are awesome!

I've been looking for a kerbin vtol exploration/transport thingie. The HL Airship parts are a little hard to balance for uneven loads in the wild.

Btw, you now have your own bookmark-directory in my browser... The first for a single modder (with support ofcourse).

/Rikard

Your mode is stylish and amazing.

I love it, but...

You need to take attention on the basic stuff, the doble helix always work one turn to one side e other the the other side, just because is that the purpose to have to helices.

To maximize trust, and compensate turn force.

Other and same importance, your helices are turning into the wrong direction.

Look at their helices, man.

This is basic stuff.

But, even with that wrong, i love it. But will not install because of these to things.

You choose what you wanna do with this info, i think it's constructive.

Good job.

;)

p.s.: The pics above only open if i click on it. And that is the new one? man, i love the old one, Yellowish Super Cool.

Edited by Climberfx

♦Okay, I've finally finished with all the small detail work and tweaking, here is the HoneyBadger in original yellow/mustard colour. Keep in mind that there will also be a "Safety Orange" and a "Gunmetal Gray" flavour as well.

:)

And ofc, screenshots only show so much, the ingame effect is much nicer! :wink:

nHKrpm0.jpg

tepPdfj.jpg

6E0T5EL.jpg

6CvR8PO.jpg

-HT

Edited by HostageTaker

HostageTaker, i manage to edit your post to show the pics in the same, because your links are not.

so, next time, try to do like this.

Open the link you put in a new tab, right click the image to show options, than choose copy image link.

Then not your message/forum, click the pic icon, and past it on it.

It will work, because is what i did up here.

Cheers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.