[1.12.x] Freight Transport Technologies [v0.6.0]

RoverDude

How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)  

383 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the VTOL engines? (Vote for both)

• Propfan: Just right!
    • Propfan: OMG! Overpowered!
    • LFO Thrusters: Too weak
    • LFO Thrusters: Just right!
    • LFO Thrusters: OMG! Overpowered!

0.3.1 is up!

Updated USITools

Updated CRP

Updated FireSpitter

Updated Regolith

Fixed missing tech nodes in CTT config

Added Monopropellant, Uraninite, and RocketParts to FTP cargo pods

Added EL Survey Module capability to the Honeybadger command pod

Added MM 2.5.4

I had a look into the docking port, and that's coming from SpaceY. I'll take the issue up with them.

That spot is specifically to fit 2.5m docking ports :)

If you're gonna give me a bunch of Legos to play with, don't tell me I'm putting them together wrong :P

In all seriousness though, having an elbow part, T-joint part, four way (plus shaped) or 6 way adapter for the larger scale would also give us more flexibility for vehicle design. If you were to do that, a recommendation of "don't make loops with the parts" may need to be made, though.

Either way, what you see as a place to stick a docking port, I see as a place to stick other stuff, and really, both of us are playing within the sandbox, albeit I may be doing things a bit unconventionally :)

Was the large single piece outrigger removed? I'm not seeing it anymore. Also wasn't there a cargo piece or service module that didn't have the indents in the sides? Honestly I didn't use the honey badger much in .25, other than to test it a bit and now everything has changed! I'm old, I don't like change. Hah. Never got to the point that I needed to lift anything that big, and now that I want to I can't find what I'm looking for. Anyway, the pieces I'm talking about appear pictured here:

http://imgur.com/a/JQ3cE#0

Also...how the heck do you get the vtol stuff to lift off properly? Even if I get the thrust set up well enough, as soon as fuel starts getting used the weight starts to shift.

Edited by Vladthemad

Was the large single piece outrigger removed? I'm not seeing it anymore. Also wasn't there a cargo piece or service module that didn't have the indents in the sides? Honestly I didn't use the honey badger much in .25, other than to test it a bit and now everything has changed! I'm old, I don't like change. Hah. Never got to the point that I needed to lift anything that big, and now that I want to I can't find what I'm looking for. Anyway, the pieces I'm talking about appear pictured here:

http://imgur.com/a/JQ3cE#0

I don't know about the service module but, to answer the outrigger question I will quote myself:

I believe it was replaced by the single one because of limitations with connection nodes.

Also...how the heck do you get the vtol stuff to lift off properly? Even if I get the thrust set up well enough, as soon as fuel starts getting used the weight starts to shift.

Build it with the fuel tanks empty, then fill the fuel tanks. Adjust it so your COM doesn't shift, or shifts very little.

Or you could try TAC fuel balancer

I prefer Goodspeed Fuel Pump. Setting your tanks up with that can lead to all kinds of stability awesomeness (or awfulness if you do it wrong).

The simplest way with this mod is to make your craft's fuel tanks symmetric around the CoM and set them all to the same pump priority level (which drains them all evenly).

EDIT:

Added Monopropellant, Uraninite, and RocketParts to FTP cargo pods

What is Uraninite for? Which mod is that a part of because I've never heard of it.

Edited by Captain Sierra

I take it then thats either a KSPI feature or a Karbonite feature (intended for use with Near Future).

Intended for use with USI Kolonization Systems. The science labs for MKS/OKS can convert it to enriched uranium for use in any nuclear reactor that uses it. Within USI, the MKS/OKS PDUs and the FTT reactors.

I was just trying tac fuel balancer, but still have issues. As fuel burns, and these are hungry beasts, the weight is going to shift as tanks become empty even if balanced prior. Without making it completely symmetrical how do you compensate for that 4 ton command pod, or the ten tons of rockets on the back for forward thrust, or when you drop off your payload? Are you using the atmos engines or the standards? The atmos would be easier to balance because it's electric, but that won't work on the Mun! :) It would seem like you'd be burning a lot of fuel just to test out corrections every time you drop something off.

Ugh...I know there was a mod that controlled vertical thrust on asymmetrical rockets, but of course now that I need it I can't find it! :/

VTOLs are some of the hardest class of vehicles that I have built, so expect a ton of issues getting it stable, and a lot of testing and dead kerbals.

But then, if we aren't killing kerbals, we must clearly be playing the game wrong.

I've made a few, but they are always ungainly and unattractive. The FTT parts got my hopes up for an attractive and useful VTOL ;) The problem isn't so much getting it balanced on Kerbin, I can do that easily enough with some testing. But then everything changes when you get to the moon or burn up so fuel or drop off your cargo. Not the best place to be dealing with running tests. Which while not having killed any kerbals yet, I do currently have 3 stranded up on the Mun because of it :/

Ugh. Those phase II parts... so so smexy I like your style a lot man. It's got that 90's space sci fi that I fell in love with as a kid.

They are! Just soooo heavy to lift :D Ive been shipping up rocketparts from my mun mining and refining operation up to the orbital mun shipyards to build it in space. :P

Loving this pack as I construct my massive fuel refinery and dump. The large spherical hydrogen fuel tanks, have you considered adding them as an LFO option as well @Roverdude? One of my favorite looking tanks to be quite honest, im just rarely use Hydrogen and am afraid to reconfigure the engines in case it affects mod compatibility

Hello

I am trying your mod and somehow I am stuck during loading on

tnBj2GI.jpg

What is wrong ? I waited for like 10 minutes and nothing. Am I missing some dependency here ? I have firespitter and Module Manager updated with new version.

Hello

I am trying your mod and somehow I am stuck during loading on

http://i.imgur.com/tnBj2GI.jpg

What is wrong ? I waited for like 10 minutes and nothing. Am I missing some dependency here ? I have firespitter and Module Manager updated with new version.

How many mods do you have installed? You're most likely running into the 3.5 gb RAM limit. I'd suggest trying ATM (Advanced Texture Management) out.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.