[0.24.2] Interstellar Lite - Tweakscale Integration [v0.12.3][Sept 7]

WaveFunctionP

Will this eventually be updated to work with ORSX?

Alternatively: Can I use the newest version of this with the newest versions of CRP, ORSX, MKS/OKS, Karbonite etc.?

So that's a bit of a unsolved question right now. Wave was using a CRP compatable version of ORS before the fractal regression & rover forking, so, theoretically, it should work OK, but Wave is the only one who could be sure, and he's not around recently. i just updated to rover's ORSX versions, and 1'm trying it right now. will report.

with ORSX, uranium works, but water appears to be broken. Haber seems to work. this is double unfortunate, however, since the water and ore drills in karbonite seem busted right now.

Alright, thanks. I think I'll hold off on installing for a while.

with ORSX, uranium works, but water appears to be broken. Haber seems to work. this is double unfortunate, however, since the water and ore drills in karbonite seem busted right now.

For clarity - water with ORSX is fine, Karbonite used to have ore/water drills but those were deprecated a while back, and finally got properly bricked :) Since ore/water is an MKS thing the drills are now there, and use different textures and models.

For clarity - water with ORSX is fine, Karbonite used to have ore/water drills but those were deprecated a while back, and finally got properly bricked :) Since ore/water is an MKS thing the drills are now there, and use different textures and models.

Also for clarity, i was referring to the KSPiLITE inline refineries ability to extract water.

Strange questions that I have at 5am when I need to sleep, and not think about turning on my computer to play KSP: if you turn on part clipping, can you power multiple thermal engines? Do the engines have to be connected to the reactor, or do they just use thermal power? What about generators?

Strange questions that I have at 5am when I need to sleep, and not think about turning on my computer to play KSP: if you turn on part clipping, can you power multiple thermal engines? Do the engines have to be connected to the reactor, or do they just use thermal power? What about generators?

Generators and thermal engines must be directly connected to the top or bottom node of the reactor as far as I am aware. At one point Fractal said he was playing with heat pipes to move heat around so that may happen eventually?

Your question was last answered nine posts before yours.

we need a counter: "it has been FIVE posts since the difference question was answered." i'm afraid it would hover around zero too often.

Damn you wave, for making something that works and making it stable. all of the interesting conversations are happening at fractals thread because of all the bees in the reactor code. someone find a bug so we can all complain about how much it's hurting our sense of realism and immersion.

Damn you wave, for making something that works and making it stable. all of the interesting conversations are happening at fractals thread because of all the bees in the reactor code. someone find a bug so we can all complain about how much it's hurting our sense of realism and immersion.

I for one wish there was more discussion around the actual mod like action group stuff for specific fuel switching or even how it's going along with killing the tree loader dependency.

Generators and thermal engines must be directly connected to the top or bottom node of the reactor as far as I am aware. At one point Fractal said he was playing with heat pipes to move heat around so that may happen eventually?

Ya. Finally got to experimenting with this. It does not like 2 engines, 1 reactor....... LOL :D

I haven't looked at the resource definitions, but I wonder if changing something in those cfgs would allow my madness :/ got to go to work tho. #kerbalworldproblems :P

Anyone got stats for antimatter usage for running a turbo jet in atmosphere mode? Assuming that once thermal power tops out, the reactor simply doesn't use am until you use the engine. I guess I'm looking for the flight time of that config. Trying to build an ssto that can possibly refuel it's atmo engines in orbit and maybe refuel it's rocket stage while landed/floating/aerobreaking around Jool.......... Heheh :D

Again, 5am inspiration, but need to sleep :/

Anyone got stats for antimatter usage for running a turbo jet in atmosphere mode? Assuming that once thermal power tops out, the reactor simply doesn't use am until you use the engine. I guess I'm looking for the flight time of that config. Trying to build an ssto that can possibly refuel it's atmo engines in orbit and maybe refuel it's rocket stage while landed/floating/aerobreaking around Jool.......... Heheh :D

Again, 5am inspiration, but need to sleep :/

i was playing around with the stock airplanes in sandbox, replacing the standard jets with thermals and AM engines, just to see what i could do, and the Ravenspear is a stupid fast mover when you give it 4 thermal turbojets and 4 AM reactors. however, it ate through the reactors AM supply in about 30 seconds, so?

i was playing around with the stock airplanes in sandbox, replacing the standard jets with thermals and AM engines, just to see what i could do, and the Ravenspear is a stupid fast mover when you give it 4 thermal turbojets and 4 AM reactors. however, it ate through the reactors AM supply in about 30 seconds, so?

The AM reactors will happily draw fuel from the separate tanks, which I suspect is how you're meant to do it. Similar to a fusion reactor with a D/T cryostat, set up one of the AM tanks with any necessary fuel lines and you'll have a reasonable amount of runtime. (The AM tanks do start empty, but if you have CRP installed, the resource definition that's tweakable will usually load first.)

Edited by undercoveryankee
Crossed out info that applies to regular KSPI, not KSPILite.

The AM reactors will happily draw fuel from the separate tanks, which I suspect is how you're meant to do it. Similar to a fusion reactor with a D/T cryostat, set up one of the AM tanks with any necessary fuel lines and you'll have a reasonable amount of runtime. (The AM tanks do start empty, but if you have CRP installed, the resource definition that's tweakable will usually load first.)

Ya, I'm having more success with a 3x fusion, 2x rocket and a jet setup. 104 days of fusion power at full throttle vs 40 seconds of antimatter. Not counting extra from remaining thermal power. ( but fusion reactors keep "running" when not actively in use though, don't they? :/ )

Edit: some bugs! Thermal power is not just per reactor. In my am test i noticed that tp was taken evenly from all reactors, and the empty am reactor was filled by the 2 fusion reactors. Don't know if working as intended, figured I'd report it here.

Also, do the turbojet shut down at a certain altitude in atmosphere mode? The message says to prevent overheat, but it was nowhere near, only about a 1/4 into the overheat bar. Could it be because I haven't put radiators on it yet? I'm only testing fuel flow and core balance so the ship is pretty minimal as far as stuff like rads (since I don't want to add more than I need) and drop tanks. As well, the engine remained animated as if at minimal throttle even though it was off....... Amd if I turned on the thermal rockets, the jet animated to full throttle :/

Edited by INSULINt
Bugs?

[...] but fusion reactors keep "running" when not actively in use though, don't they? :/ [...]

this is true of all of the reactors. fusion and AM can be shutdown, if needed, but Fission has hard shutdowns and long startups. real reactors are similar.

Edit: some bugs! Thermal power is not just per reactor. In my am test i noticed that tp was taken evenly from all reactors, and the empty am reactor was filled by the 2 fusion reactors. Don't know if working as intended, figured I'd report it here.

this might be wave simplifying the use of thermal power by making it a ship wide resource. i remember him talking about making that simpler, but i'm not sure.

Also, do the turbojet shut down at a certain altitude in atmosphere mode? The message says to prevent overheat, but it was nowhere near, only about a 1/4 into the overheat bar. Could it be because I haven't put radiators on it yet? I'm only testing fuel flow and core balance so the ship is pretty minimal as far as stuff like rads (since I don't want to add more than I need) and drop tanks. As well, the engine remained animated as if at minimal throttle even though it was off....... Amd if I turned on the thermal rockets, the jet animated to full throttle :/

Thermal turbofans will fail, but only because they can only operate on Atmosphere and intake air, both of which run thin or out above about 35k. upgrade them to hybrid mode, later in the tech tree (fusion?) and they can be used with LFO, Liquid fuel, water, xenon, etc. thermal turbofans, thermal rockets and thermal hybrids are not more resilient to compression heating (the overheat bar) then any other engine, because that heating happens in front of the engine when supersonic air is slammed into the intake, but they are more resilient to waste heat because they are cooling themselves with the air overflow (the same is true of thermal rockets & hybrids, but with fuel overflow), so you might need less radiators (but not none).

Hum. I have a fission reactor, an electric generator, and some deployable radiators, and they don't seem to do anything. I can't deploy the radiators (there's no option in the right-click menu), in fact none of the parts have anything interesting in their right click menus, just resource gauges. Something wrong here?

Also, what's up with some of the parts expanding when you mouseover them in the VAB part list?

EDIT: solved! (see below)

Edited by Maelin

Hum. I have a fission reactor, an electric generator, and some deployable radiators, and they don't seem to do anything. I can't deploy the radiators (there's no option in the right-click menu), in fact none of the parts have anything interesting in their right click menus, just resource gauges. Something wrong here?

Also, what's up with some of the parts expanding when you mouseover them in the VAB part list?

All of your symptoms are caused by the same problem: Something is keeping the Interstellar plugin from loading. Remove all versions of Interstellar and OpenResourceSystem, then install the Interstellar version you want and the ORS that comes with it.

All of your symptoms are caused by the same problem: Something is keeping the Interstellar plugin from loading. Remove all versions of Interstellar and OpenResourceSystem, then install the Interstellar version you want and the ORS that comes with it.

Aha, yes, found it! I had two different versions of the OpenResourceSystem plugin dll. Deleted the older one, now everything works. Thanks! :)

this is true of all of the reactors. fusion and AM can be shutdown, if needed, but Fission has hard shutdowns and long startups. real reactors are similar.

Ya, I noticed you can turn the am reactor on/off on demand, and I knew about the long startup times with fission, but is there still the mwatt requirement to init fusion and keep em going? Or do they act like am where you can on/off as much as/whenever you want? If so, I'll probably stick to fusion for the ship, and toggle the reactors on/off with the appropriate engines :)

this might be wave simplifying the use of thermal power by making it a ship wide resource. i remember him talking about making that simpler, but i'm not sure.

The engine still needs to be attached to a reactor for isp/thrust calc so it not really game breaking. It can actually save a little on am at the start if you have other reactors on the ship and start with the am reactor off :)

Thermal turbofans will fail, but only because they can only operate on Atmosphere and intake air, both of which run thin or out above about 35k. upgrade them to hybrid mode, later in the tech tree (fusion?) and they can be used with LFO, Liquid fuel, water, xenon, etc. thermal turbofans, thermal rockets and thermal hybrids are not more resilient to compression heating (the overheat bar) then any other engine, because that heating happens in front of the engine when supersonic air is slammed into the intake, but they are more resilient to waste heat because they are cooling themselves with the air overflow (the same is true of thermal rockets & hybrids, but with fuel overflow), so you might need less radiators (but not none).

Thanks! Can you effectively dump waste heat with them? It must have been hitting 35k that did it. Seems wierd that it kept animating a flame (not a flame out, but a low thrust flame) after shutting down :/

I'll see tomorrow hopfully if i can reproduce it and maybe get it on video.

Quick edit: I'm assuming that the thermal rockets reach max isp in a vacume, so even at 35k they are less efficient than the could be?

Edited by INSULINt

[...] is there still the mwatt requirement to init fusion and keep em going? [...]

Confinement power was one of those things Wave simplified out.

[...]The engine still needs to be attached to a reactor for isp/thrust calc so it not really game breaking. It can actually save a little on am at the start if you have other reactors on the ship and start with the am reactor off :) [...]

hum. i guess it's time for some redesign of my spaceplanes.

[...]Thanks! Can you effectively dump waste heat with them? It must have been hitting 35k that did it. Seems wierd that it kept animating a flame (not a flame out, but a low thrust flame) after shutting down :/[...]

Not quickly, but some waste heat is drawn down while the thermal turbojets (or rockets, or whatever) are running. as for animations, it might just be that you have some corruption left over from a previous version. there was a animation bug in Lite.12.1 or 2.

[...]Quick edit: I'm assuming that the thermal rockets reach max isp in a vacume, so even at 35k they are less efficient than the could be?

define efficient? ISP is a measure of reactant in to velocity out. if your "reactant" is free environmental air and a very small amount of uranium/deuterium/anti-hydrogen, then ISP of the limited resources carried on the vessel is neigh infinite. near the surface, you'll lose dV to gravity and drag over time, so a high thrust engine might be more efficient then a low thrust engine because you spend less fuel pushing air and working against gravity. Real rockets, incidentally, don't burn more fuel in atmosphere, they just have lower thrust, which is probably why squad chose an ISP curve, because it's easier to design around.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.