[1.4.1] Kerbal Construction Time 1.4.0.69 (2018-03-24) - Unrapid Planned Assembly

magico13

Have the simulation aspects been removed since the last update? Whenever I design my craft and look to test it in the launch tab, all I get is Build and Cancel. Where is the sim button? I've only tried this mod in x64 version of ksp..

1 hour ago, TeeGee said:

Have the simulation aspects been removed since the last update? Whenever I design my craft and look to test it in the launch tab, all I get is Build and Cancel. Where is the sim button? I've only tried this mod in x64 version of ksp..

they are disabled by default, but you can enable them again in the KCT settings (button "Allow simulations")
magico said that he is going to remove them from the code eventually, for various reasons, and recommended to use KRASH instead  

35 minutes ago, aat said:

they are disabled by default, but you can enable them again in the KCT settings (button "Allow simulations")
magico said that he is going to remove them from the code eventually, for various reasons, and recommended to use KRASH instead  

Oh I didn't know that! Thank you!

8 hours ago, aat said:

I'm experiencing a game breaking bug in conjunction with kerbin side:
whenever i try to launch from a site other than the standard ksc, I get this weird screen with ksc error message.
after that I can just quit ksp by force.

here is the log and the mod list. I already verified that disabling ksc I can launch without problem from any site

Its a known bug. You have to load the launchsite manually at least once before each time you load up the game, i suggest by simulating a launch there.

Loving this mod. Only just discovered how to use inventory :) Well, I think so!

While I'm out in space on my latest contract I build a basic rocket.  Roll it out and then collect it for parts.  I can then build my next contract's rocket much more cheaply!

Is there a way to build parts directly in to the inventory? So that I don't have to roll out a rocket with no payload just so that I can collect the parts.

Or a way to build and store whole booster stages ready assembled (can only use those parts in that configuration, even quicker to ready for launch, but could choose to use 3 of them for a heavy payload)?  Something so that the only parts that would need actually "manufacturering" would be the payload (and some time for sticky taping the payload inside the fairings)?

Thanks to @magico13, this is great.

Edited by MatBailie
Reworded for clarity

1 hour ago, MatBailie said:

While I'm out in space on my latest contract I build a basic rocket.  Roll it out and then collect it for parts.  I can then build my next contract's rocket much more cheaply!

Is there a way to build parts directly in to the inventory? So that I don't have to roll out a rocket with no payload just so that I can collect the parts.

Or a way to build and store whole booster stages ready assembled (can only use those parts in that configuration, even quicker to ready for launch, but could choose to use 3 of them for a heavy payload)?  Something so that the only parts that would need actually "manufacturering" would be the payload (and some time for sticky taping the payload inside the fairings)?

You don’t really need to build ships just to collect them for parts. Just build the rocket you want and launch it. When you recover it at the end of the flight, the parts will go into the inventory. Any future rockets you build with those parts will take them straight from the inventory. It doesn’t make building future rockets cheaper, only quicker, as far as I know.

As for storing whole booster stages, you could save them as subassemblies in the editor, which would at least make building them quicker.

If you really want to just build parts, you can use the re-root tool in the editor to eliminate the need for any kind of command pod or probe core (I think).

5 hours ago, UnanimousCoward said:

You don’t really need to build ships just to collect them for parts. Just build the rocket you want and launch it. When you recover it at the end of the flight, the parts will go into the inventory. Any future rockets you build with those parts will take them straight from the inventory. It doesn’t make building future rockets cheaper, only quicker, as far as I know.

As for storing whole booster stages, you could save them as subassemblies in the editor, which would at least make building them quicker.

If you really want to just build parts, you can use the re-root tool in the editor to eliminate the need for any kind of command pod or probe core (I think).

That's not quite where I'm headed with this though :wink:

1. Until I accept a mission I can't build the payload for it (different science experiments, etc)

2. Not many (any) of my boosters, etc, survive re-entry, and the payloads never return (stuck in orbit somewhere)

3. I'm not trying to save My time in the Editor

Where I am trying to get to is...

A. Less Game Time between accepting a contract and launching a rocket

B. Moar contracts completed, moar quickly, for moar cash :wink:

C. By having to invest cash ahead of time, on what I do know I'll need (Booster Stages, etc)

D. But not having to invest in what I don't know I'll need for each contract (Expensive "can do everything" payloads, which are heavier and so less dV)

Not sure what you meant by the last sentence.  I'm probably missing something obvious!

Edited by MatBailie
Clarification

I can't give an in-depth reply right now, but you can click the * button on a completed vessel and choose "scrap". That's the same as rolling it out and recovering it (you get funds back and the parts go to the inventory). No rollout required then.

The other thing you should look into is the " edit" button. If you build two vessels (a payload and booster for instance) you can scrap one, edit the other, then attach the scrapped one (using subassemblies) and save the edits. Its been discussed a few times in this thread, but there's a lot to sift through. I suggest experimenting with those to see what works best for you.

Because of changes in KSP the KCT screen would remain open in all screens, such as science center, crew hiring, mission selection, etc which tended to get in the way. Only real solution to this was for the window to close upon screen change. this has the result of requiring it to be opened again when returning to the spaceport screen.

Anytime I recover a craft to the SPH, when i either open it in the SPH or launch it again, it is pointing straight up like when loading a sph craft in the VAB.  Is there a way to fix this or do i just need to open them in the sph and correct the attitude prior to launching?  The ability to move craft from SPH to VAB would be nice too.  Just recovered my little jet to the VAB,

Edited by icedown

Ok, so im considering using this mod, but i cant manage to get a custom preset working how i want... if anyone could tell me what i need to set that would be great!

What i want is:

• 3 day VAB build time
  • 1 day SPH build time
  • no KSC build time
  • a small bit of tech research time
  • little to no launchpad rebuild time
  • about a 2 day rollout time
  • simulations at no cost

And thats about all i want that ik the mod should be able to do.... another helpful thing would be a description of what each thing in the KCT settings does, so in the future i can modify as i see fit.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ThePhoenixSol

On 03/06/2016 at 9:55 AM, MatBailie said:

Magico already mentioned the Edit feature, but I just want to toss this in here, as I use it extensively.

I build boosters that are ready for a payload. When I have something to attach to them, I click Edit and add my payload. I believe that this is identical to scrapping and re-building with parts in inventory from a time standpoint.

I had a strange issue where I bought the launchpad upgrade with the mod not enabled and it didn't upgrade, when I enabled the mod I found it was under construction with a "NaN" ETA.

I'd hand over stuff like Log Details but I'd just see if anybody else has experienced the same issue, otherwise it's probably just an issue with one of the other 100 mods installed, and I can't be arsed to figure it out since some save file editing magic fixed the issue (deleting the under construction bit and upgrading the KCT launchpad to 0.5 and the game save launchpad to 0.5).

I'd love to hear if this is a common issue with not enabling the mod and upgrading the launchpad, I just didn't want to waste the "Day 1" of the game by warping through it, kinda wanted the UT to be the launch of the first CommSat.

As that is my issue with KCT, you pretty much warp through the first few months of the game not actually doing anything but waiting for the building of the rockets.

Hello good KCT people!

Have recently started an RSS/RO game and was wondering if this is normal for the RP0 setting.

As you can see, only 1 tech is advancing at a time. And when the techs take months or years to complete that makes for some mighty slow progress! One of the main reasons I ask is I also note I'm not able to add a 2nd build rate in my VAB/SPH.  Rate 2 is listed but there's no box to tick.

Spoiler

PsnOe97.png

Spoiler

UqUkdbZ.png

Looking at other peoples youtubes of RP0 games they do seem to be able to build a 2nd craft simultaneously.

1 hour ago, Chippy the Space Dog said:

Hello good KCT people!

Have recently started an RSS/RO game and was wondering if this is normal for the RP0 setting.

As you can see, only 1 tech is advancing at a time. And when the techs take months or years to complete that makes for some mighty slow progress! One of the main reasons I ask is I also note I'm not able to add a 2nd build rate in my VAB/SPH.  Rate 2 is listed but there's no box to tick.

The RP-0 config for KCT sets the number of build queues active based on the upgrade level of the VAB/SPH. To get the 2nd queue upgrade the building.

1 hour ago, Chippy the Space Dog said:

Looking at other peoples youtubes of RP0 games they do seem to be able to build a 2nd craft simultaneously.

This was changed a while ago. Any YouTube showing simultaneous science is from before the change, still using the old config or using a custom modification to the current config, If you look in the formulas part of the RP-0 config you'll find:

NodeFormula = (((5+([N]*1.5)) / 86400 / 365) * sign(-[I]) * (1+([R] * 0.5))) // 5 science/year, + 1.5 sci per upgrade, only one rate, and 1/1.5/2x from R&D upgrades.

I believe it's the sign(-[ I ]) part that makes the tech queue up one at a time.

Edited by Aelfhe1m
formatting

16 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

The RP-0 config for KCT sets the number of build queues active based on the upgrade level of the VAB/SPH. To get the 2nd queue upgrade the building.

This was changed a while ago. Any YouTube showing simultaneous science is from before the change, still using the old config or using a custom modification to the current config, If you look in the formulas part of the RP-0 config you'll find:

NodeFormula = (((5+([N]*1.5)) / 86400 / 365) * sign(-[I]) * (1+([R] * 0.5))) // 5 science/year, + 1.5 sci per upgrade, only one rate, and 1/1.5/2x from R&D upgrades.

I believe it's the sign(-) part that makes the tech queue up one at a time.

Thank you so much for the detailed reply and explanation. Although the progression is achingly painful at least I know now my install's not broken and I can tweak it if I need. o/ 

It might be cool and more realistic if the R&D building upgrades had a similar effect as the VAB upgrades.  Maybe it already does for all I know.  Where a level 2 R&D does 2 techs at a time, and a level 3, 3.

33 minutes ago, Chippy the Space Dog said:

It might be cool and more realistic if the R&D building upgrades had a similar effect as the VAB upgrades.  Maybe it already does for all I know.  Where a level 2 R&D does 2 techs at a time, and a level 3, 3.

I think you'd get that effect (untested) if you modified the formula to:

NodeFormula = (((5+([N]*1.5)) / 86400 / 365) * sign([R]-[I]) * (1+([R] * 0.5)))

Edited by Aelfhe1m
changed formula

1 minute ago, Aelfhe1m said:

I think you'd get that effect (untested) if you modified the formula to:

NodeFormula = (((5+([N]*1.5)) / 86400 / 365) * max(0.1-[I], 0))*sign([R]-[I]) * (1+([R] * 0.5)))

You da man, @Aelfhe1m:)  I'll give it a try to test it out. I imagine it'll be a couple of game years before I can afford to upgrade my R&D in my campaign game, but I'll do a quick tweaked game to test it out. I think it;s much more reasonable in a somewhat more advanced game that a space agency be looking at several technologies at once. The earliest tech nodes are at least a bit diverse in their content, but it would be crazy to picture in today's world that all NASA's scientists and labs were looking at say, engines, then when they had the working engines they needed they all filed over to the solar energy lab to see what electronics they could develop.. 

28 minutes ago, Chippy the Space Dog said:

You da man, @Aelfhe1m:)  I'll give it a try to test it out. I imagine it'll be a couple of game years before I can afford to upgrade my R&D in my campaign game, but I'll do a quick tweaked game to test it out. I think it;s much more reasonable in a somewhat more advanced game that a space agency be looking at several technologies at once. The earliest tech nodes are at least a bit diverse in their content, but it would be crazy to picture in today's world that all NASA's scientists and labs were looking at say, engines, then when they had the working engines they needed they all filed over to the solar energy lab to see what electronics they could develop.. 

That rationalisation does make a lot of sense (game logic doesn't necessarily have to). I did a quick test with a modified formula and it seems to work as intended:

Note: I left the last part untouched so that the rate at which each tech is researched also increases with R&D upgrades. Might need to balance number of techs vs. speed of individual tech upgrade by changing the 0.5 in that part of the formula to some smaller number

6 minutes ago, Aelfhe1m said:

That rationalisation does make a lot of sense (game logic doesn't necessarily have to). I did a quick test with a modified formula and it seems to work as intended:

Note: I left the last part untouched so that the rate at which each tech is researched also increases with R&D upgrades. Might need to balance number of techs vs. speed of individual tech upgrade by changing the 0.5 in that part of the formula to some smaller number

Thank you, I was firing up a fresh game to give it a test myself, so I can put my feet back up again :)

As I'm still on the very first tech node in my RO game, I don't yet have a feel for how the late game plays, but judging by how long it takes to research a 20 point node where I am, I'm curious how it'll progress. That said, RO is very popular with many of the hard core crowd, so I probably shouldn't be feeling too concerned about it. I will however end on the note that technologies generally tend to advance exponentially.  

Not wanting to hijack this thread any further (I probably should have posted my initial query over on RP0) I will end by taking my hat off to @magico13 for making this wonderful mod, and saying that playing a career game in KSP without KCT just feels -wrong-!

@Aelfhe1m, thank you muchly for helping improve my game!

Had an idea you might feel like playing with: Space Elevator.

Someone on Reddit recently asked about a space elevator mod. After thinking for a while, KCT has everything needed to implement one. It already has:

• Ability to add and upgrade additional Launchpads.
  • Can check for and disallow vessels too heavy or large.
  • Can move vessels to above KSO orbit, taking however long it takes.

Ideas I had along with this revelation:

• You can only build one space elevator. Yes, it is going to be ridiculously expensive in both Funds and Science.
  • Tier 1 is basic orbital tether, can handle about 2 tons.
  • Tier 2 is upgraded, guessing about 10 tons.
  • Tier 3 requires a dockable asteroid at KSO over KSC (if it is possible to check a certain vessel's orbital info). Can Recover vessels very near/docked to the asteroid. Size of asteroid determines ultimate lifting capacity, up to about 50 tons.
  • If the orbit of the asteroid exceeds a certain distance from KSC, it and the entire elevator is destroyed, along with your reputation.

Do with this as you wish. If I can be of any help bringing this to fruition, just ask. Congratulations on what you've already done. Kerbal Construction Time is already an amazing mod I can't play without (Stage Recovery as well)!

Hi guys,

First of all, thanks for this mod! It enables me to run a real aeronautical program with planes.

But I am having an issue with this mod: When I recover something and I visit the SPH to edit it, it sometimes is just not there and the camera is at the upper limit of the hangar. I seems like the vessels get placed outside of the hangar. One information: I am having a low tier hangar (probably T1).

Is there a workaround for this? Because I got soooo many "museum vehicles" now...

Greetings,

Salad

Edited by grosser_Salat
grammar