Would it be possible to do a "Mass Effect style Mako drop" in KSP?

On the Mun or Minmus maybe? Has anyone done it maybe?

No designs come to mind so if anyone could suggest something it would be great. :D

The problem I encountered was the speed, I did a shallow drop with the rover and the orbiter, dropped the payload and took off, but the rover hit the ground too fast.

I only tried it on the Mun by the way.

It depends on what type of vehicle you want. Are you looking for a MAKO recreation in KSP that also has the ability to do a MAKO style landing (which is difficult to do), or are you happy with any design as long as it does a MAKO-styled landing (which is slightly easier to design).

From the Youtube video I saw it just looks like an armoured rover capable of a powered landing. Very possible on most bodies in KSP; the smaller airless bodies shouldn't be too hard and all the bodies with atmosphere barring Duna will slow you down plenty in stock even without chutes so you'll only need a little for final touchdown. The Mako looks reasonably deep in its centre so there should be space for fuel. I suggest a mod like RCS Build Aid to help you get the longitudinal balance on the rockets right.

Also, the Mass Effect Wiki mentions it using thrusters to aid traction on low-gravity worlds, an approach already popular with KSPers.

WTF is a MAKO drop?

Mass Effect

SSV Normandy flies low towards the drop zone. Mako is dropped from the cargo bay and lands using thrusters.

Also...

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!

Mass Effect

SSV Normandy flies low towards the drop zone. Mako is dropped from the cargo bay and lands using thrusters.

Also...

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a leopard but you'll never be better than Commander Shepard!

The commando services did stuff similar to this sort of thing for real in WWII, BTW. No matter how crazy it is, the SAS have already done it.

I'm waiting on someone to figure out how to recreate this bit of impressive loopyness in KSP: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulton_surface-to-air_recovery_system

BTW, my favourite bit of SAS badassery is this: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Nazaire_Raid

Alright, so people have done it. I didn't want to replicate Mako but to just replicate the landing (looks like I forgot about the thrusters on the bottom of it :D ). Now I just need to come up with a cool orbiter design...

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.