[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Okay, I've updated the mod. Now I am reverting engines as well as some other parts to old ones. Good thing I've backed it up. No gimbal cylinders, those silly stripes and loss of many small details looks bad indeed. The only new engine I like is the Mk.55 one. Other new parts look good as well.

New turbojets look great indeed, but for an engine of around 400kN thrust. For the stock 800kN it would be better to have large nozzle diameter. Think I'll create my config to have both of them... And that gap when mounting that requires manual adjustment each time. It is a bit too small in diameter too, doesn't fit smooth with other parts.

New fanjet or whatever is it called is good as well, but for some reason it is too small.

Tankbutt on Poodle is still omnipresent. Would be really nice to have it turned off sometimes.

Edited by sashan

Please share when your done and who knows maybe ven can share it as an extra with his mod k_smiley.gif. Either way all panels need to look that amazing

Will do. I need some help on doing the reflections though (completely novice at cfgs).

utnGlpHl.png

Preview of NFSolar modern7 (click for full res). Added a blueish lattice structure to bring out the deep purple ven uses.

There seems to be a weird interaction between Deadly Reentry and Ven's. This happens when I have both mods installed. I asked around in the DR thread and the author told me DR does nothing with parachutes anymore. I found a single reference to this problem in this thread from May but no replies to it. Anybody else having the same problem or knows how or if it can be fixed?

No gimbal cylinders, those silly stripes and loss of many small details looks bad indeed.

New turbojets look great indeed... And that gap when mounting that requires manual adjustment each time. It is a bit too small in diameter too, doesn't fit smooth with other parts.

New fanjet or whatever is it called is good as well, but for some reason it is too small.

Tankbutt on Poodle is still omnipresent. Would be really nice to have it turned off sometimes.

What are gimbal cylinders? Hydraulic pistons or something else? What small details have been lost?:huh: From stock or from the 1.8 era engines?

Which of the jet engines have a gap? (I'm confused with your use of Turbojets)

A new Fanjet engine? Are you referring to the J-33 Wheesley?

Is the engines nodes too close together? Making picking between the 1.25m and 2.5m modes?

Will do. I need some help on doing the reflections though (completely novice at cfgs).

http://i.imgur.com/utnGlpHl.png

Preview of NFSolar modern7 (click for full res). Added a blueish lattice structure to bring out the deep purple ven uses.

Color wise, I use a very dark purple, then inside unity set the panels specular intensity to max with a light pink/ purple specular reflection.

There seems to be a weird interaction between Deadly Reentry and Ven's. This happens when I have both mods installed. I asked around in the DR thread and the author told me DR does nothing with parachutes anymore. I found a single reference to this problem in this thread from May but no replies to it. Anybody else having the same problem or knows how or if it can be fixed?

Are you using Real-Chute? Either way, try using the pre-release version to see if it's already fixed (or still broken, I don't know).

Good evening :).

I thought I would try out the pre-release build last night out of curiosity. When I tried loading a small lander I had been working on I noticed that 'radialLFOlong' had been removed and was unable to load the craft :(.

Is there a reason for this or just a pre-release bug or something?

Thanks

Oh well, I should've been more precise.

Details - I am talking about Poodles. Those small stands round it, kind of frames for radial attachment or whatever they are. Pistons ar emissing as well, the ones that used lookat module. IMO rocket engines in previous update were perfect. :P

Gap with Turbojets was described before in this thread, with a screenshot, I remember it. Exactly like this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92764-1-0-2-Stock-Part-Revamp-Update-1-8-1%21?p=2103394&viewfull=1#post2103394 Offset of nozzle pads reported there is still an issue. I know there are engines that look like that, but in that case the outer wall should be fixed, not made of another layer of petals. Like here, see, outer wall is fixed?

74613.jpg

From the previous update, I guess. Don't remember the number but .version file says "VERSION": { "MAJOR": 1, "MINOR": 8, "PATCH": 0 }.

Yes, nodes are extremely close together, picking mode is damn hard. Sometimes impossible. I guess you can move 2/5m node higher and close resulting gap with tankbutt. Niw, even if it seems that you're attaching it correctly it still jumps to 2.5m the moment you click mouse to attach. Or whatever is happening there, I've got no other explanation, but tankbutt is always there.

Fanjet? Yes, wheesley, now I remember the name. I will doublecheck it anyways, maybe that's tweakscale doing funny things.

As for some other stuff... Personal preferences, but I also like older cockpits better.

Edited by sashan

Color wise, I use a very dark purple, then inside unity set the panels specular intensity to max with a light pink/ purple specular reflection.

I don't know what you do...do man, but I really want to say that your solar panels are the most beautiful items I've seen yet in this game..they make even mundane vessels like relay sats look spectacular...<3

Just looked through my old photos... Apparently both layers can be moving, like on this Tu-22M. But the geometry is completely different.

When the engine is on the afterburner, inner flaps retract and outer ones control the geometry. Otherwise inner ones are extended and move to change expansion ratio.

E8ecvca.png

On a side note: I am completely addicted to the mod. :P Can't play without it.

Edited by sashan

Ummm funny little issue:

Whenever I deploy the small main chute, the parachute itself is SUPER tiny and my pod smashes into the ground. This mod never used to do that before... should I install real chute or something to fix this issue?

Just looked through my old photos... Apparently both layers can be moving, like on this Tu-22M. But the geometry is completely different.

When the engine is on the afterburner, inner flaps retract and outer ones control the geometry. Otherwise inner ones are extended and move to change expansion ratio.

http://i.imgur.com/E8ecvca.png

On a side note: I am completely addicted to the mod. :P Can't play without it.

Nozzle geometry is slightly complicated. Afterburning/supersonic engines typically have two major parts to the nozzle: The inner convergent section (which is the inner ring you're seeing on the TU-22M, which is mechanically actuated to assure nozzle choking (among other things, such as opening as much as possible at ground idle to minimize thrust). It's usually less prominent though, see for instance this picture of the SR-71's J58 engines. The outer divergent section is usually pressure actuated (equilibrium is where exit pressure = ambient pressure), and is much more visible. Both are usually made of two sets of overlapping flaps, see for instance this picture of the F-18's engines. There may or may not be flaps connecting the inner and outer sections (there clearly aren't on the Tu-22M photo you found, but are on the F-18 photo I just linked.

Anyone still experience the odd issue with the solar panels, I was orbiting kerbin trying to complete a rescue contract, the panels were saying they were in sunlight, yet it took a few minutes for the charge to start coming in from them?

Anyone still experience the odd issue with the solar panels, I was orbiting kerbin trying to complete a rescue contract, the panels were saying they were in sunlight, yet it took a few minutes for the charge to start coming in from them?

What solar panel? Are you using the Pre-released version or the released?

Not using Real-Chutes, I installed the version in ckan, says 1.8.1. Is the one in github different? The link you give me links to 1.8.0.

The one that I linked is a more recent version, I don't bother to update things like the version number until it's finished.

I'm having the same issue.

The one that I linked is a more recent version, I don't bother to update things like the version number until it's finished.

Ok just to make sure I did everything right. I went to ckan and uninstalled "Ven's Stock Part Revamp", I then downloaded the version tittle 1.8.0 from the link you gave me (download .zip on the right panel). I extracted the contents on my ksp folder, then i ran every .bat file in the pruner folder.

There seems to be new models and textures for the same parts so I'm sure it installed correctly but I still have the same problem with Deadly Reentry. If i remove deadly reentry Ven's parachutes work fine, if I remove Ven's the normal Mk16 works fine with deadly reentry. It is possible that this is a 3 way incompatibility with a third mod but I'm too tired to be testing that right now. I might do it later. I don't have real chutes and the only thing I can think of that might mess with parachutes directly is stock bug fixes and stock plus.

What solar panel? Are you using the Pre-released version or the released?

Yeah i'm using pre-release, it's the 3x1 panel. I'll double check that i am up to date with the version.

Say I want to manually delete some stock files replaced by Vens SPR. Is it safe to delete both .mu's, textures, diff and nrm textures?

Take the cupola for instance. It has some textures besides the .mu file adding up to 1.8 mb. Deleting all textures and models not used should save quite a lot ram right?

Edit: Did a bit of testing. It seems like all those file types can be deleted. But it ofcourse affects SXT like mentioned in the op. However only a few of Squad textures are used be SXT.

I have no idea how much ram I saved doing this, don't know enough about how KSP loads textures. But, only 5-6 mb savings as mentioned in the op sounds a bit too little, no?

Edited by ThorBeorn

In one of the recent test versions, the Kerbal X seems to have asymmetric thrust somewhere. It's on the upper stage. Maybe the poodle, maybe the fuel tank, maybe the capsule. I closed the game before I checked.

A Centre of Mass offset was added to the mk1-2 and mk1 configs, looks like they were added five days ago according to github.

Confused me when I started a new career save and my Mk1 was veering off.

Edited by CaptainStrider

A Centre of Mass offset was added to the mk1-2 and mk1 configs, looks like they were added five days ago according to github.

Confused me when I started a new career save and my Mk1 was veering off.

Is it disableable? Cause there's no way to play with them properly this way.

I'd assume you would have to edit this line in the command.cfg.

%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.2

Also it looks like stayputnik got the same treatment.

[Edit] Just testing it now, in theory that should work.

I assume Ven has some reason for doing this, for realism I suppose.

[Edit2] Yep my Mk1+Flea flies straight as a die now.

Edited by CaptainStrider

Having an off center...center of mass makes sense for pods, since they are designed that way. It also makes the game more challenging for a number of setups. Not so sure though if the probes should have the same attribute, or if having the pods lopsided should be a default feature.

What should we change it to (if we don't want the pods/probes to have an offset)?

%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.0

or

%CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

or

//  %CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.2

Edited by Dante80

Ummm funny little issue:

Whenever I deploy the small main chute, the parachute itself is SUPER tiny and my pod smashes into the ground. This mod never used to do that before... should I install real chute or something to fix this issue?

I think that the problem is being caused by the scale of my parachutes (their models), when interacting with the 'ModuleAnimation2Value' Module. When these modules are removed (with the use of //) the canopies return to normal.

Otherwise I believe that VSR parachutes are otherwise the same as their stock counterparts. :/

However, by adding realchutes, the problem is entirely circumvented.

Yeah i'm using pre-release, it's the 3x1 panel. I'll double check that i am up to date with the version.

I tried them out and I cant seem to find your problem. Are they receiving light from the wrong angle or something?

Say I want to manually delete some stock files replaced by Vens SPR. Is it safe to delete both .mu's, textures, diff and nrm textures?

Take the cupola for instance. It has some textures besides the .mu file adding up to 1.8 mb. Deleting all textures and models not used should save quite a lot ram right?

Edit: Did a bit of testing. It seems like all those file types can be deleted. But it of course affects SXT like mentioned in the op. However only a few of Squad textures are used be SXT.

I have no idea how much ram I saved doing this, don't know enough about how KSP loads textures. But, only 5-6 mb savings as mentioned in the op sounds a bit too little, no?

It's safe to delete everything that is replaced, but it is easier to use the provided pruners (even when they are a bit out of date).

The RAM estimate I gave was a very... conservative measurement, I don't trust Task Manager that much.

Having an off center...center of mass makes sense for pods, since they are designed that way. It also makes the game more challenging for a number of setups. Not so sure though if the probes should have the same attribute, or if having the pods lopsided should be a default feature.

What should we change it to (if we don't want the pods/probes to have an offset)?

%CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.0

or

%CoMOffset = 0.0, 0.0, 0.0

or

//  %CoMOffset = 0, 0.0, 0.2

You'd just need to delete the entire line to remove it. I've just updated the link, reducing the offset by a large amount (the 1-2 is now 0.07 instead of 0.2, and the MK1 is even less).

I've added the offset to get around the removal of the offset of the escape tower (as having an offset on the tower itself led to explosions), plus it lends a little bit of realism to the pods themselves.

The offset on the Stayputnik just moves the CoM closer to the center of the sphere.

You'd just need to delete the entire line to remove it. I've just updated the link, reducing the offset by a large amount (the 1-2 is now 0.07 instead of 0.2, and the MK1 is even less).

I've added the offset to get around the removal of the offset of the escape tower (as having an offset on the tower itself led to explosions), plus it lends a little bit of realism to the pods themselves.

The offset on the Stayputnik just moves the CoM closer to the center of the sphere.

Many thanks for the prompt answer. I'll keep your revised numbers, a little offset is indeed more realistic, especially for re-entry.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.