[1.2.2] Stock Part Revamp, Update 1.9.6. Released Source Files!

Ven

Playing with the pre-release and really loving it so far!

Now, I know its too soon to ask, but would anyone testing the pre be willing to make a Remote-tech cfg file for the new antenna (love it too btw)? I don't know how to do it myself..T_T

hi! just wanna say I really enjoy this mod. I've been playing KSP for a long time and this rejuvenated my love for the game.

I have a quick question, hope it's not stupid: i see on your github page under your v1.8.1 that there have been 34 commits to this release. this includes the most recent one from yesterday that "added the deployable ladder"

so if i download this version by clicking v1.8.1.zip, does that include all of your updates? i did a quick check but wasn't sure i saw any files dated past 5/10

hi! just wanna say I really enjoy this mod. I've been playing KSP for a long time and this rejuvenated my love for the game.

I have a quick question, hope it's not stupid: i see on your github page under your v1.8.1 that there have been 34 commits to this release. this includes the most recent one from yesterday that "added the deployable ladder"

so if i download this version by clicking v1.8.1.zip, does that include all of your updates? i did a quick check but wasn't sure i saw any files dated past 5/10

No, go to the main Github page and click "download repository" on the right side.

Keep playing with the pre-release (which is also my first experience with VSR), and really loving it. Some feedback.

1. How did you make the solar panels be reflective like that? I want to edit the panels in a couple of other mods to match the effect if possible (thinking of NFSolar). C:

2. I know its a big project, but a stock-alike dual crew pod would be a very worthy endeavor for a future version of VSR I think. I think its consistent with the part additions you have made.

3. You did a great work on the engine department. The engine TANKPLUG feature is really ingenious (although making it work is a little tricky), and the added parts complement the game well without unbalancing it. This mod made me remove KW, novapunch and cryogenic engines from my install. I just use this together with Atomic Age (for the superlative "Candle" and "Nuclear Lightbulb" engines which finish the work you started imo). Any plans for a VSR 2.5m nuclear engine?

4. It would be very nice if the added parts also had tweakscale configs.

5. I really don't like the way the parachutes look. I prefer the stock look to that of RealChutes to tell you the truth (those cones are too tall for my eye).

6. Great work on the battery department! Those lights are much sought after, hope we get to see all the battery parts having them in the future. My only gripe is that the 100 and 400 batteries are too "fat" and un-aerodynamic for putting them on the sides of a rocket, but that why the offset tool exists I guess. Any plans for a couple of aerodynamic parts that would fit well to planes/spaceplanes too?

7. The heavy RCS being 5way instead of 4way would be a nifty change imo.

Keep the goodness coming man, cheers..C:

ps: Found a bug in the last pre-release change. You added the rescaleFactor values to your configs, and the result was that the science junior got shrunk a little, and the goo canister got blown up.

Edited by Dante80

My only gripe is that the 100 and 400 batteries are too "fat" and un-aerodynamic for putting them on the sides of a rocket, but that why the offset tool exists I guess.
That's what the service bay is for :P

A few observations:

- The material bay and goo canister are scaled incorrectly. The bay is smaller than it's original 1.25 m (it no longer fits snug with the 2.5 m service bay) and the canister is bigger than it was previously.

- There seems to be some z-fighting(?) going on with the new Telus-LV ladder, the top left portion to be exact.

Seems like there's only a handful of parts left to revamp at this point. It'll be cool to finally see this in the Release forum. Keep up the great work Ven!

That's what the service bay is for :P

That is very true. On the other hand, the pretty lights are too bling to hide in a bay though...XD

The offset tool does a great job to...skinny them up. Sadly though, I have a bug that makes them explode under certain circumstances (nothing to do with the mod).

IFeqD7al.png

Edited by Dante80

Ven, can you fix the FAR config for the 'Basic Canard' part that you added? You're forcing the game to apply the stock code instead.

Also, can I request some 'chine' parts? To fit on the side of aerodynamic craft for smoothing transitions and area ruling. I think that would be a neat addition, but I'm not sure it's within the scope of this mod.

Keep playing with the pre-release (which is also my first experience with VSR), and really loving it. Some feedback.

1. How did you make the solar panels be reflective like that? I want to edit the panels in a couple of other mods to match the effect if possible (thinking of NFSolar). C:

2. I know its a big project, but a stock-alike dual crew pod would be a very worthy endeavor for a future version of VSR I think. I think its consistent with the part additions you have made.

3. You did a great work on the engine department. The engine TANKPLUG feature is really ingenious (although making it work is a little tricky), and the added parts complement the game well without unbalancing it. This mod made me remove KW, novapunch and cryogenic engines from my install. I just use this together with Atomic Age (for the superlative "Candle" and "Nuclear Lightbulb" engines which finish the work you started imo). Any plans for a VSR 2.5m nuclear engine?

4. It would be very nice if the added parts also had tweakscale configs.

5. I really don't like the way the parachutes look. I prefer the stock look to that of RealChutes to tell you the truth (those cones are too tall for my eye).

6. Great work on the battery department! Those lights are much sought after, hope we get to see all the battery parts having them in the future. My only gripe is that the 100 and 400 batteries are too "fat" and un-aerodynamic for putting them on the sides of a rocket, but that why the offset tool exists I guess. Any plans for a couple of aerodynamic parts that would fit well to planes/spaceplanes too?

7. The heavy RCS being 5way instead of 4way would be a nifty change imo.

Keep the goodness coming man, cheers..C:

ps: Found a bug in the last pre-release change. You added the rescaleFactor values to your configs, and the result was that the science junior got shrunk a little, and the goo canister got blown up.

1. These are TextureReplacer configs

5. Realchute doesn't have anything to do with VSR!

Edited by Bakase

1. These are TextureReplacer configs

5. Realchute doesn't have anything to do with VSR!

1. Ah thanks, will take a look.

2. I know that, was commenting on the model for VSR parachutes. They are tall like the conechutes in realchutes.

I have the problem of tankbutt always showing up on Poodles (the old Poodle, not the NTR). No matter which of the upper nodes I use. And I like using 2 or 3 of them on upper stages. I haven't update since around last month or so, was it fixed?

As for tweakscale - I think I'll make a patch and post it here.

All you need to do is know which parts you want to remove, then go into the MM files and add // in front of the entry.

//@PART[Mark1-2Pod] {...}

Then the revamped part won't load.

Just make sure not to run the pruner files (or at least the ones that you modify), or the parts will cease to exist ingame.

Could you elaborate a bit? What's the MM files? How do I make sure the pruner-files won't run?

Thanks for making this awesome mod, the parts look great :) !

Also: How can I close my usual non-retractable Solar Panels? Placing SolarPanelRetractFix.txt and renaming it to *.cfg didn't change anything.

Edited by cathode

Can we pleasepleasepleaseplease have some new fairing textures. It'd be great to have the fairings in kerbodyne white without any heinous yellow stripes.

Some further thoughts:

- The chunkiness really isn't a good look. The poodle and skipper have gone from the best looking engines to the worst. And the big caution bands are very much no bueno.

-I may be in the minority, but I'd prefer the T-800 not to have the stripes. Limits it's uses.

-The new form factors of the 1.25m airplane cockpits makes me even less likely to use them . Too bulbous and the blue windows are a bit much at that size.

-Lights on the batteries are too big

-For that matter, the trend of getting rid of smaller details isn't really good.

-The shape of the basic jet makes it hard to use in diverse ways.

On the other hand:

-New antennas are superb

-Turbojet finally looks like a turbojet

-Aerospike is very good (besides the damn stripes...)

-Like the new blue rockomax tanks

-Solar panels are attractive (but VERY hard to use with NF Solar or any other mods which is not really ideal--in practice this means I'm going to rely on Nert's stuff because of the much broader scope)

Additions?:

-A shorter set of service bays?

-Bigger and more aerodynamic landing legs for rockets?

-Fill obvious holes in the kerbodyne line? (Reaction wheels? RGUs?)

-2.5m cargo bays

Edited by Sauron

- The chunkiness really isn't a good look. The poodle and skipper have gone from the best looking engines to the worst. And the big caution bands are very much no bueno.

-For that matter, the trend of getting rid of smaller details isn't really good.

-Solar panels are attractive (but VERY hard to use with NF Solar or any other mods which is not really ideal--in practice this means I'm going to rely on Nert's stuff because of the much broader scope)

Could you define chunkiness? I don't really see anything chunky about the poodle and skipper.

what smaller details? I would say the revamp does the exact opposite: adding details.

Why are solar panels hard to use now?

Yea i know right I only want Vens panels soooooo gorgeous! :D

I actually started yesterday to change all NFsolar panels to the texture Ven uses. Thats why I asked earlier about how to make the reflections work..XD

Can we pleasepleasepleaseplease have some new fairing textures. It'd be great to have the fairings in kerbodyne white without any heinous yellow stripes.

If you are content with some rockomax grey, I have made a plain looking fairing variant for personal use. Here it is..

vyYHMTrm.jpg

(click on the preview pic for the actual texture)

I actually started yesterday to change all NFsolar panels to the texture Ven uses. Thats why I asked earlier about how to make the reflections work..XD

Please share when your done and who knows maybe ven can share it as an extra with his mod :). Either way all panels need to look that amazing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.