Advanced EVA

Kerbals should be able to use their EVA packs on ladders. It'd really open up station construction, negating the need for large tugs or autonomous components with their own fuel sources. A kerbal could just hop out, grab it, and move it into position.

I like it. +1 from me.

actually, this could be a contender for the secret thing in .25?

"no mod has yet achieved"

"If we had our way, we would tell no one about it and just let you guys discover it through gameplay with hilarious results."

thoughts?

Edited by Capt Snuggler

thoughts?

It wouldn't be that. As you say, 'No mod has yet achieved', 'if we had our way, we would tell no one about and just let you guys discover through gameplay' It's probably going to be something huge, yet hard to notice. It's probably (in my opinion) going to be more procedural generated terrain. Think, has a mod done it? No. Will you discover it through gameplay? Yes. Will it be hilarious? HILL-arious? Pun anyone?

Result:Terrain update confirmed

Hmm...

Ladders have no mass, not even the measly 5 kg that they claim to.

Kerbals on ladders have no mass either.

Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

Step 1: Make a ship with and engine facing into a part.

Step 2: Attached a ladder to said part.

Step 3: Attach a cockpit to said ship.

Step 4: Attach a probe core to said ship.

Step 5: Launch said ship.

Step 6: Get the Kerbal onto the ladder.

Step 7: Switch to the ship and activate the engine.

Step 8: Switch back to said Kerbal and activate your RCS jetpack.

Step 9: Wait for ladder to detach from ship.

Step 10: Press one of the WASD keys.

Step 11: Solve dv/dt=(300 kN)/(0 kg)

Step 12: If you appear to exist still, get off the ladder. You now have reached a speed of infinity, and yet have a nonzero mass.

how are they supposed to hold onto the ladder while using the rocket pack

This.

Hence the need for an EVA with a "grabber" on it. Perhaps the habitation module, or a new "maintenance" module might be made such that anyone doing EVA from there gets a grabber EVA suit. The grabber suit would have a small grabber arms coming out from the control arms and would allow a Kerbal as a mini-tug.

In counterpoint, I actually -would- like to see this. Together with the ability to "weld" pieces together in space. KAS is great, but can't (and should'nt) do things like girders.

I agree on the infinitely-refuelled EVA pack though - it should take RCS fuel from the command-pod to refuel.

Kerbals should be able to use their EVA packs on ladders. It'd really open up station construction, negating the need for large tugs or autonomous components with their own fuel sources. A kerbal could just hop out, grab it, and move it into position.

There are some videos of scott manley using Kerbal Attachment System with a parachute-- it's really difficult for him to move it where he wants because RCS ports are not aligned with center of mass causing him to rotate and go every direction he doesnt want to go, so i'm not sure how practical this suggestion is... More likely, you will have to make specially designed vehicles to move large parts and/or attach RCS ports to the parts you want to move (and maybe the external command seat to control it)

EDIT: i think that's actually the main purpose of the external command seat, now that i think of it...

Edited by arkie87

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.