[1.12.x] Karbonite/Karbonite Plus (K+)

RoverDude

I looked into configs and it seems like some confusion in naming of the Candle drive:

From CTT.cfg in KarbonitePlus folder:

@PART[KA_Engine_[B]500_01[/B]]:NEEDS[CommunityTechTree]
{
@TechRequired = exoticReactions
}

While the actual part is named KA_Engine_375_03 (with .cfg file named KA_Engine_125_03 and in-game name KFD-100 Candle Drive)

Hot tip: this was creating an issue with the Active Texture Management mod, causing the initial KSP loading screen to stall with no other indication of a problem. Removing the part file KA_Engine_125_03 (and, the similarly plagued KA_Engine_375_01), skipping it, allows the game to finish loading.

Hot tip: this was creating an issue with the Active Texture Management mod, causing the initial KSP loading screen to stall with no other indication of a problem. Removing the part file KA_Engine_125_03 (and, the similarly plagued KA_Engine_375_01), skipping it, allows the game to finish loading.

With almost every mod using compressed textures natively, as well as the stock game having been converted over to compressed textures, you shouldn't be using ATM any more.

The real issue is a Unity bug with DirectX 9 that keeps a copy of all textures in system memory in addition to offloading them to the video card. The best workarounds we have today are to force OpenGL or DirectX 11 via the command line switches -force-opengl or -force-d3d11 (use one or the other, not both). They both have their drawbacks (no shadows in OpenGL, messed up fonts with DirectX 11) but they both work well at reducing the memory footprint to a reasonable level, even with a lot of mods installed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I need help. I updated both the Karbonite and K+ folders with the latest versions. However, there are only two Karborundum engines available, the new ones (KFD-100 and KFD 200, the ones that require ore as fuel). All the other ones are gone. Did the update remove them, or am I missing them? I've reinstalled both updates twice and still only two engines.

Just started a 1.0.4 game loaded up a bunch of mods and wanted to try out your Torch drives.... :D (In Sandbox mode) [According to CKAN I have all the latest mods]

Finally found the tanks. Round Kontainors, but when I cycled through the fuel/contents types (Xenon, LFO, Momo, water etc), all worked except Karbonundum.

It IS listed, but does not show a capacity bar.

The Silver Karbonundum tanks were empty when used in the VAB and were not right clickable.

Edited by BlackHat

Just started a 1.0.4 game loaded up a bunch of mods and wanted to try out your Torch drives.... :D (In Sandbox mode) [According to CKAN I have all the latest mods]

Finally found the tanks. Round Kontainors, but when I cycled through the fuel/contents types (Xenon, LFO, Momo, water etc), all worked except Karbonundum.

It IS listed, but does not show a capacity bar.

They work, you cannot fill them in the VAB.

AHH, so they ARE working as designed in the VAB? I need to "fill" them by mining?

Thanks.

Yes with great power comes great challenge. You can

1. Mine Karborundum, which by default is found on EVE, Eeloo, or a band around the sun.

2. Fill via hyperedit (for testing of course).

1. Mine Karborundum, which by default is found on EVE, Eeloo, or a band around the sun.

Where exactly around the Sun? I remember it used to be very low, but it's impossible to get that close without exploding now.

Where exactly around the Sun? I remember it used to be very low, but it's impossible to get that close without exploding now.

I will repost my earlier unanswered post. I personally haven't found a ship setup yet that can collect any K+ without exploding. Even trying to just dive into the band as briefly as possible.

It's my asking for help night I guess. I know that the band around the sun was moved outwards a bit. But I am still having trouble trying to figure out how to successfully collect Karborundum.

I have been playing around and the farthest away that I could still collect K+ was 176,000,000km Even at this distance I have yet to find any setup that can handle the heat. The Particle collector can't even hold up to the heat.

If someone has an alternate sun config I will happily take a pull request :)

Hmm maybe while I wait for 1.0.5 I will play around, although 1.0.5 may change heat again so I dunno if I'd rather wait. I'm personally fine with it still being challenging (ie, having to dive in rather than safely orbit) but right now the collector itself, weven with radiators cannot last more than about a minute.

Either way I'll see about figuring out distances that might work.

Yes with great power comes great challenge. You can

2. Fill via hyperedit (for testing of course).

Anyone ever actually gotten K+ off of eve? I've never been able to build a lifter that can get off eve, much less with a meaningful amount of K+.

I've landed 5 probes/rovers on Eloo and scanned a 15km strip with each, but the max reading I get is 0.0041%. I've landed in the long ravein in the north, a big crater near the equator and two random locations. What is the max % of concentration available?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.