28 members have voted

1. 1. What's your Opinion on Coub?

• I love it!
    • It's not bad...
    • I haven't really looked into it.
    • I don't like it too much.
    • Gah! Why would anyone use it?!

Hi all!

I'm wondering what the popular sentiment on "Coub" is (after all, many people are now using it.) Do you like it? Do you dislike it? Is it your new favorite site, or would you be happier if it shriveled and died? Opinions, please! :)

My personal opinion: Coub isn't bad, but it could be a lot better. It has slow upload times (10s of content taking 15 minutes to upload?! Come on, guys!), the editing program has never actually worked properly for me, and one of my loops (and I only uploaded two!) is weirdly cut off in standard definition but runs normally in HD. I would have preferred for KSP to have waited for some of these problems to be fixed before having a coub competition, as I'm sure I'm not the only one having them. Just my two cents, though.

I really don't get the interest at all myself. I mean I see the fun in making 10 seconds loop videos, like as in someone coming up with an idea for a short loop video and making it. But a whole website dedicated to generating 10 second loop videos? really?! I think this will be a very short-lived trend in my opinion.

Also - again in my very own subjective opinion - it kind of pains me to see KSP contests (and out of game community activities in general) revolving around this kind of completely off-topic, superficial, thoughtless, "just-for-fun", and utterly useless fads. It makes me feel as if we're stooping low just to garner attention from larger ( and apparently here attention span-lacking ) audiences. Hey, maybe this is the whole idea: to catch the attention of web surfers lost and adrift and turn them into rocket scientists with clear goals and high ambitions :D.

But honestly, I think we can do that and much more in way better and interesting ways. We're the KSP community! We have a thread discussing potentially launching a community CubeSat! To Phobos perhaps even!

Hope I didn't come up as sounding condescending in this, I really don't mean to.

Cheers!

Surely YTMND is the YTMND of the i-something generation? It launched the same year as the ipod, after all.

You know what I meant. Kids with attention spans of a muon's lifetime clutching to their iPhones, taking photos of their junk with Instagram.

I really don't get the interest at all myself. I mean I see the fun in making 10 seconds loop videos, like as in someone coming up with an idea for a short loop video and making it. But a whole website dedicated to generating 10 second loop videos? really?! I think this will be a very short-lived trend in my opinion.

Like Vine, perhaps? Don't worry, it will find its clientele.

Also - again in my very own subjective opinion - it kind of pains me to see KSP contests (and out of game community activities in general) revolving around this kind of completely off-topic, superficial, thoughtless, "just-for-fun", and utterly useless fads. It makes me feel as if we're stooping low just to garner attention from larger ( and apparently here attention span-lacking ) audiences. Hey, maybe this is the whole idea: to catch the attention of web surfers lost and adrift and turn them into rocket scientists with clear goals and high ambitions :D.

But honestly, I think we can do that and much more in way better and interesting ways. We're the KSP community! We have a thread discussing potentially launching a community CubeSat! To Phobos perhaps even!

And what's wrong with "just for fun," eurybaric? :P Maybe you're not into it and that's fine - not everyone is expected to participate or anything - the key here is that between the creative minds that live within the KSP community, there's also a lot of others who are just as creative who exist elsewhere on, say, platforms like Coub and are still curious about the game. As you suggest, you may never know where the inspiration to become a rocket scientist will come from, even in a 10 second video ;) That's why the contest doesn't specifically lean towards the hardcore, but it certainly helps if you are among the more skilled.

There are going to be more contests in the future. We will be throwing out different ideas, so they aren't always going to be along the types of community challenges you're used to, but nevertheless, we intend for nothing but a fun time to be had by all. Now, I'm all for ideas here. Do you have any suggestions for contests we can run in the future?

And what's wrong with "just for fun," eurybaric? :P Maybe you're not into it and that's fine - not everyone is expected to participate or anything - the key here is that between the creative minds that live within the KSP community, there's also a lot of others who are just as creative who exist elsewhere on, say, platforms like Coub and are still curious about the game. As you suggest, you may never know where the inspiration to become a rocket scientist will come from, even in a 10 second video ;) That's why the contest doesn't specifically lean towards the hardcore, but it certainly helps if you are among the more skilled.

There are going to be more contests in the future. We will be throwing out different ideas, so they aren't always going to be along the types of community challenges you're used to, but nevertheless, we intend for nothing but a fun time to be had by all. Now, I'm all for ideas here. Do you have any suggestions for contests we can run in the future?

Sorry I came off a little snotty with that comment. I recall vaguely it being very late and me probably coming here straight from my facebook feed which was really full of too much silly stuff. You've probably been there yourself at a certain point hehe...

Your post makes sense. There's nothing wrong with it, per se, and really if i'm "put off" by the amounts of "superficial and silly people" on the net then my best hope should be that they come across something like KSP :D

Anyway, my mind is blank now concerning ideas for contests, but I sure will keep it in mind and will sure be pitching to you any that might come up!

Thanks for the relply and cheers from Lebanon! :)

P.S: I once asked, a long while ago I think, if we could have a BBcode for SoundCloud embedding (for embedding tracks in signatures and so on). Any ideas on that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.