Component Space Shuttle V 5.0.1 (July 14, 2013)

Cepheus

• 2 weeks later...
Is this mod still going on ? :-/

Yes it is, right now, from the looks of it, testers are doing their thing.

A few days ago, a tester actually posted an image of this shuttle with Unity, docked onto Zarya in the ISS thread.

Yes it is, right now, from the looks of it, testers are doing their thing.

A few days ago, a tester actually posted an image of this shuttle with Unity, docked onto Zarya in the ISS thread.

That was de Buran by Bobcat.

This isn't dead, just nothing new to show yet.

Tester? I'm no tester, I'm doing the configs for it. I was the one who made it flyable and working in 0.20 . :)

Yes, the mod is still being developed, though it's mostly feature creep now, experimenting with Deadly Reentry, FAR and the like. The biggest roadblock now are issues with models that could only be fixed in Unity (neither I nor Cepheus ever done this before). We could really use a Unity expert to help with that, unfortunately, the models I have are in .mu format, and Cepheus has yet to respond to any of my PMs. Right now, neither the landing gear nor the airbrake are functional, there's no chute nor a docking port (I stuck a Clamp-o-tron onto the dock for testing) and cargobay animation opens way too fast to look good. I would've tried to fix that myself, but turns out I'd need source files for that (.mu files can't be opened in Unity), which I don't have. Considering the amount of work that went into this mod, I'd really like to see it released, but until those issues are fixed, it's not really possible.

Tester? I'm no tester, I'm doing the configs for it. I was the one who made it flyable and working in 0.20 . :)

Yes, the mod is still being developed, though it's mostly feature creep now, experimenting with Deadly Reentry, FAR and the like. The biggest roadblock now are issues with models that could only be fixed in Unity (neither I nor Cepheus ever done this before). We could really use a Unity expert to help with that, unfortunately, the models I have are in .mu format, and Cepheus has yet to respond to any of my PMs. Right now, neither the landing gear nor the airbrake are functional, there's no chute nor a docking port (I stuck a Clamp-o-tron onto the dock for testing) and cargobay animation opens way too fast to look good. I would've tried to fix that myself, but turns out I'd need source files for that (.mu files can't be opened in Unity), which I don't have. Considering the amount of work that went into this mod, I'd really like to see it released, but until those issues are fixed, it's not really possible.

The models were made by rocekt2guns (yes, the Dayz dev) like years ago so do not expect him to still have the original models plus he left KSP forever when he started with DayZ.

The best chance would be redoing the models again from zero but in case of extreme madness, you can just attach 3D Ripper DX to KSP and RIP each part from the VAB one by one.

It's actually a little more complicated. Rocket2guns made CSS a long time ago, back when there was no landing gear, no fuel lines and, most importantly, no .mu files. His originals were in the perfectly editable (although useless in the current version) .dae format. The CSS as we know it now it vastly different from this first, ancient version, featuring a split rudder (ready to be animated) and animated (but not working) landing gear. Also, it's divided into parts differently from the old one. Now, I don't know who made those modifications, but Cepheus should know. This person should have original, editable models of the parts he made/split off. There's no point in editing the .dae originals, because they're simply too old.

It's actually a little more complicated. Rocket2guns made CSS a long time ago, back when there was no landing gear, no fuel lines and, most importantly, no .mu files. His originals were in the perfectly editable (although useless in the current version) .dae format. The CSS as we know it now it vastly different from this first, ancient version, featuring a split rudder (ready to be animated) and animated (but not working) landing gear. Also, it's divided into parts differently from the old one. Now, I don't know who made those modifications, but Cepheus should know. This person should have original, editable models of the parts he made/split off. There's no point in editing the .dae originals, because they're simply too old.

The models are still really low poly and the textures really low res.

I did a comparation with Bobcat's Buran a while ago while I was doing reentry aerodymanic tests and the difference is pretty noticeable, specially the texture resolution.

Nothing that couldn't be fixed with the original dae files (be it rocket2guns' or the guy who modified it for a more modern KSP's)

Currently, it's stalled by model problems I have no way of fixing. I need Cepheus to respond to my PMs before I can do anything, since .mu model files, from what I know, can't be opened.

Good news people, we're back in business! :) Cepheus is back, and we might soon have source models for the Shuttle. We'll soon see to fixing the final issues with the mod. They're plentiful, but it'll happen, I promise.

You might need an adapter. The Shuttle's docking port does not actually extend (neither should Buran's, TBH), so they'd have trouble meeting. That said, it should be easy enough to make.