Sci-Fi/Fantasy Trivia Quiz

Tex_NL

Some simple rules

- Any Sci-fi/Fantasy source is allowed. Games, movies, books, TV, any source will do.

- The source must be globally known.

- Trivia must be part of established lore and not fan-fiction. Unless of course this fan fiction has become so big it has actually become part of the established lore.

- Anything can be found through Google these days. But to give people who actually KNOW the answer a chance: NO GOOGLE!

- Make sure it is actually possible to answer the question. Give at least some direction.

- He who answers the question correctly will post the next question.

- Please wait for your answer to be confirmed before asking the next question. If confirmation is not given within 24 hours you're free to post your question.

Example question

In Star Wars, who was 'Echo 3'?

Luke Skywalker

"Echo 3 to Echo 7. Han old buddy, do you read me?"

And now for the real question:

What was the name of the destroyer in War of the Worlds?

Edited by Tex_NL

• 1 month later...
The "thunder child"

...although it was an ironclad ram rather than a destroyer, IIRC. Destroyers didn't really become a thing until after the invention of the fast torpedo boat, and they didn't turn into the modern version (anti-air/anti-sub frigate) until some time after that.

...although it was an ironclad ram rather than a destroyer, IIRC. Destroyers didn't really become a thing until after the invention of the fast torpedo boat, and they didn't turn into the modern version (anti-air/anti-sub frigate) until some time after that.

So, the correct answer would be "No 'Destroyer' is in War of the Worlds", but that isn't sportsmanship. The name of the ship he was referring to is the "thunder child"

My question is:

In Star Wars, what is the largest class of star destroyer? (Original Trilogy, displayed in the films)

As far as I know Executor is the correct answer. I found the following on Wookieepedia:

The Super Star Destroyer Executor was the personal flagship of the Lord Darth Vader, the premier command ship of the Imperial Navy, and the first of the Executor-class Star Dreadnought line. Designed by starship engineer Lira Wessex as a successor to the original Imperial-class Star Destroyer, the Executor, at a monumental 19,000 meters in length, represented the largest traditional warship the galaxy had ever seen by the time of its completion. The Executor bristled with more than 5,000 weapon emplacements, enough firepower to blast any planetary surface to slag in hours, and a military complement capable of annihilating any ground installation. The Executor's presence alone, however, was enough to frighten an entire star system into submission.

It's been nearly 24 hours since the answer was given. Unless MrJacobean disapproves before that deadline (he has been online today), Megalodon you're up for the next question.

Edited by Tex_NL

Well, I can try to make a question. If it's okay with you...

What about this :

In 2001: A space odyssey, what is the name of the location where the second monolith seen by humankind (and its ancestors) was found?

Tycho crater, Moon.

Perhaps it's easy, but whatever...

Edited by mrrpamplemousse

As far as I know Executor is the correct answer. I found the following on Wookieepedia:

It's been nearly 24 hours since the answer was given. Unless MrJacobean disapproves before that deadline (he has been online today), Megalodon you're up for the next question.

I deem the answer to be correct, however in other source material (non-film) there have been larger class star destroyers.

Well, I can try to make a question. If it's okay with you...

What about this :

In 2001: A space odyssey, what is the name of the location where the second monolith seen by humankind (and its ancestors) was found?

Tycho crater, Moon.

Perhaps it's easy, but whatever...

You shouldn't post the answer if you asked the question, but I guess the example did have a spoiler. Might just be misunderstanding.

OK, here's a new one for you:

In the movie The Core the tunnelling machine was build from the imaginary material Unobtainium. Name a place (different movie) where this mineral was actually mined.

Pandora although it was a completely different mineral that caused basically caused antigravity

Pandora although it was a completely different mineral that caused basically caused antigravity

...and in both cases, the use of the word "unobtainium" was a suspension-of-disbelief shattering joke.

"Unobtainium" has been common motorcyclist slang for flashy alloy parts (usually but not always made of titanium) for at least thirty years.

The Dortmunder

You didn't say WHICH ship, but you were probably thinking of Serenity. :D

Here's one from books:

Who came up with the theory of Psychohistory?

Isaac Asimov. :D

(yeah, okay, Hari Seldon...you started it...)

What was the name of the computer in the last season of Blake's 7?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.