Esinohio's Blender farm

esinohio

3 hours ago, esinohio said:

Having fun with a basic camera track in Blender.  The track itself was horrible and needs to be redone since the rover "slides" a few times but the concept is pretty neat. 

Next I need to put this awesome rover in my driveway.  I mean who doesn't want Selfish_meme's awesome Duna Rover in their driveway?  Duna Rover

Sorry for video size, how can I hide this behind a spoiler now?

Looks good.  My only suggestion is to have more foreground/background markers so it works better with going forward and backward.  It should give you a better track.  Have you seen the tutorial by BlenderGuru?

7 hours ago, CliftonM said:

Looks good.  My only suggestion is to have more foreground/background markers so it works better with going forward and backward.  It should give you a better track.  Have you seen the tutorial by BlenderGuru?

Thanks CliftonM!  I should have put more time into putting out trackers and maybe used something other than the wire nuts that were sitting in my friend's spare room.  :D   Other tracks I did turned out spot on with errors in the 0.1-0.2 area but Blender was refusing to set the floor properly.   Turns out it was a lack of parallax movement in the shot since I was standing fairly steady and didn't move.  So, I was wondering....

1.  Can I get that movement out of the way in the first 60 frames or so and let Blender use that for the Keyframe A & B in the solver.  Then after I recomposite the footage I can just trim off the part used to establish the parallax?  Does that sound plausible? 

2.  After getting the recomposite finished would you then further stabilize the video and remove most of the camera bounce?

11 hours ago, esinohio said:

Having fun with a basic camera track in Blender.  The track itself was horrible and needs to be redone since the rover "slides" a few times but the concept is pretty neat. 

Next I need to put this awesome rover in my driveway.  I mean who doesn't want Selfish_meme's awesome Duna Rover in their driveway?  Duna Rover

That is quite amazing, makes me wonder what designing a craft in KSP would be like with a Microsoft Hololens. To see it right in front of you, edit and placing parts. This makes me want to buy a Hololens... even though they're expensive and I spent all my money on a new computer.

30 minutes ago, BowWhalley said:

That is quite amazing, makes me wonder what designing a craft in KSP would be like with a Microsoft Hololens. To see it right in front of you, edit and placing parts. This makes me want to buy a Hololens... even though they're expensive and I spent all my money on a new computer.

I seem to remember someone in the forums did a flat out awesome short tracking scene using his desk (Kitchen table?) and if I remember correctly the Mun was floating above some stand of some sort.  Looked really really neat, just like the hololens concept.   I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find that one again. 

4 hours ago, esinohio said:

Thanks CliftonM!  I should have put more time into putting out trackers and maybe used something other than the wire nuts that were sitting in my friend's spare room.  :D   Other tracks I did turned out spot on with errors in the 0.1-0.2 area but Blender was refusing to set the floor properly.   Turns out it was a lack of parallax movement in the shot since I was standing fairly steady and didn't move.  So, I was wondering....

1.  Can I get that movement out of the way in the first 60 frames or so and let Blender use that for the Keyframe A & B in the solver.  Then after I recomposite the footage I can just trim off the part used to establish the parallax?  Does that sound plausible? 

2.  After getting the recomposite finished would you then further stabilize the video and remove most of the camera bounce?

You probably could do that.  I think the best thing you can do to get a better track besides having more markers is to have them stand out really well.  For example, white markers on a black background.  Also make sure you get your lighting right in the original video.  It won't turn out good if you have grainy footage.

Just a still from another tracking project I'm playing with.  More of the rover parked.  I think this one being outside it looks much better.  Given some time messing with textures it could look a bit more natural though.

gCwwHZI.png

11 hours ago, esinohio said:

I seem to remember someone in the forums did a flat out awesome short tracking scene using his desk (Kitchen table?) and if I remember correctly the Mun was floating above some stand of some sort.  Looked really really neat, just like the hololens concept.   I'll have to do some digging to see if I can find that one again. 

I believe I may have just found it for you :)

Edited by BowWhalley

5 minutes ago, BowWhalley said:

I believe I may have just found it for you :)   

/snip

That's the one!  Giving me all sorts of ideas here  :cool:

Edited by esinohio

Ok... this is fun! Not really a hololens since it's using an emitter but interesting.  If I were going to add to this I think I'd slow the Mun down and add a capsule in orbit along with an orbit path indicator. Add an animated survey map showing the area directly beneath the capsule.

So I started digging further into the idea of the Hololens setup and thought I'd play around with adding more elements to the scene.  Added a topological and 2d map moving with the ship along with the start of the navball setup.  Ideally we still need the resources panel represented somehow.  Maybe a visual representation of the craft itself?  The markers were just 2d plane tracked out... badly.  Diving into masks next to learn how to cover those marks properly.  (Grainy sorry, YouTube did some weirdness on this ones upload)

I guess a true holo experience would involve ditching the actual monitors as well and going with full on Avatar style floating screens.  Not sure how that one is done but it would be an interesting project.   Imagine the idea of sitting in your favorite chair and having a 3m screen floating out in front of you along with 3d/2d maps, engineering screens, etc.  KSP nirvana.  

Sun breaks the horizon on Laythe as Jool looms through the fading aurora.  

ztVtDvc.png

While digging through some tutorials on various cycles nodes, in this case the pointiness node, I found one that walked through an interesting scene I could easily modify.  Changed textures, added Jool, flare, etc.  Fun!  

Having fun with a Kerbin texture. Not sure where I dug this texture up but I'm sure it was somewhere here on the forums.  Took that texture then made a mask so the glossy stays on the water, added the night lights layer, and finally some clouds courtesy of NASA.  Did this render while exploring how to animate a day and night rotation while properly mixing the day/night textures within Blender cycles. 

Below we see the KSC rotating into view.  For a quick test I think it is coming along nicely.  

5WHGEJz.png

Edited by esinohio
Wrong pic

• 2 weeks later...
On 2016-03-27 at 10:25 AM, esinohio said:

PrJust some modeling fun.  Thought it would be interesting to take a stab at the cupola module.  Temporary textures in place currently but it's coming along nicely I think.  

W4KnOHd.png

Pretty sure you could do better than Ven's Stock Revamp. . .

Stay Determined. . .

On 13 March 2016 at 1:02 PM, esinohio said:

Man you have to learn to use the @ button I had no idea you were doing stuff with my craft @pTrevTrevs check yours.

This is the single most awesome thing I have ever seen, thank you.

Edited by selfish_meme

6 minutes ago, pTrevTrevs said:

Nice renders here! If you've got the time, could you do one with my Fokker Triplane

Here's the image I would like you to base it on

That is so neat!!!  I'm not sure how I missed that one and hadn't already approached you.  Let me see what I can get together,  assuming the import goes to plan :D

Not Kerbal related at all obviously but had some fun making it.  My first attempt at the human form,  Be gentle.   I was loosely following a tutorial on making a low poly barbarian character. I say low poly but I added real fur/hair, will be gone later.  My grand idea was to make a character from scratch (kind of), rig him, do a simple walk animation, then import him into Unity.   No real reason for it other than the whole process real artists and game designers use to do this is very interesting to me!   

k7mUlRL.png

I thought it would be fun to make an attempt at making my own Kerbal model in Blender.  Definitely going to take my time on this one since I'm paying tribute to our beloved Kerbal form.   This is the first step in my Kerbal adventure where I begin to craft a base mesh to work from.  Once I get the head finished I'll be able to use the base I created to quickly make different poseable Kerbals wearing any clothing I need for a picture.  

To generate a base mesh to work from I thought I would try using the skin modifier instead of extruding the mesh from a cube like I did with the barbarian guy posted above.  This mesh was instead extruded from a single vertex that has mirror, skin, and sub division modifier applied.  You can quickly pull a body shape together using this method by scaling the individual vertices. 

wvuYSC1l.png   f3Q3nbLl.png

Now that a quick base mesh is in place the hard part of adjusting the figure and adding the facial features begins!