Better Science Labs

Cychotha

Hello there,

Seems there's an issue with some parts and missing files...

OnionNewScience is looking at :

MODEL
{
model = HGR/Parts/Command/Onion/model
texture = HGR/Parts/Command/Onion/OnionTexture
}

But this subdirectory structure don't exist in the ZIP file. There's no model or texture.

Is it by design or just an error? My log keep returning errors.

Hello there,

Seems there's an issue with some parts and missing files...

OnionNewScience is looking at :

MODEL
{
model = HGR/Parts/Command/Onion/model
texture = HGR/Parts/Command/Onion/OnionTexture
}

But this subdirectory structure don't exist in the ZIP file. There's no model or texture.

Is it by design or just an error? My log keep returning errors.

This is by design. The author of the onion model has reserved rights on his models and textures, so I cannot distribute them. In order to use this optional part, you need to download and install the HGR mod. Once the required mod is in place, the directory structure will exist and the part will appear. the same goes for the Firespitter part as well, though that part seems broken in .25 and I am waiting for FS to be updated to .25 to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

For balance, I suggest you slightly reduce the science gains from your Science labs, that way, you will give people still incentive to build the orginal large Lab for large structures lace space stations. I changed my own dataTransmissionBoost

value from 1.5 to 1.4. That way I didn't had got the idea I was cheating somehow

Edited by FreeThinker

• 2 months later...

Does it work with .90? A Mk 3 Spaceplane lab converted from the passenger module? I know you can put the current lab in a cargo bay but I would prefer something more matching with the Mk 3 parts.

Also, reducing the science gained is counter productive for what this mod is for. It is to have science labs that are more in-line with the look of a ship. Just increase the power requirements and time it takes to process. Also make the parts no more rugged then the stock lab and an increase in cost. Never reduce science gains.

For balance, I suggest you slightly reduce the science gains from your Science labs, that way, you will give people still incentive to build the orginal large Lab for large structures lace space stations. I changed my own dataTransmissionBoost

value from 1.5 to 1.4. That way I didn't had got the idea I was cheating somehow

You aren't cheating. These new cience labs cost more, are harder tounlock and are otherwise really difficult to attain. You try playing a reduced-funds, reduced-science playthrough and see if you still feel like these are cheating.

Anyways, does this work with .90? I love mods that add more science labs.

• 4 months later...

I'm working on reviving this for 1.0.2

[Moderator removed defunct website]

I hope to have an initial release up there by this weekend.

And for those who asked, I did try to contact the original author, but didn't get a response.

The licenses he uses are:

all configs and documentation licensed MIT:
by Cychotha

B9 Aerospace models and textures licensed Creative Commons (CC BY-NC-SA 3.0):

by bac9 et.al. available at

so I think I'm ok with doing this

I have it working, am just working on the balance right now.

Linuxgurugamer

Edited by James Kerman
link removed

Already found one problem with it, The model for the Mk2 Passenger module which is used by this mod has moved. Simply updating the file path in the .cfg folder fixed it for me, and basically made this mod completely useable again. Though if you would like to add more science labs, I will not object. Maybe some MkIV and OPT labs? The current OPT lab is really fricken huge...

Already found one problem with it, The model for the Mk2 Passenger module which is used by this mod has moved. Simply updating the file path in the .cfg folder fixed it for me, and basically made this mod completely useable again. Though if you would like to add more science labs, I will not object. Maybe some MkIV and OPT labs? The current OPT lab is really fricken huge...

I already fixed that.

But there are other things which I'm bringing up to snuff.

Right now I'm trying (not too successfully) to replace the texture of the Mk2 Crew Fusalage (which I've doubled in length) with the texture from the Large Crewed Lab, to make it look more sciencey.

Then I'll be working on the balance issues.

MK IV labs is an idea, but what is OPT? Are you referring to this: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97525-WIP-Large-Diameter-Space-Plane-Parts

LGG

Nice job on the re-release, these will definitely come in handy so thanks much for getting this done!

I do have a question since I've been playing around with the idea of creating some new lab types on my own. I've been going through the cfg files of various science labs from a number of different sources and haven't been able to find this answer - what exactly do the parameters SurfaceBonus, ContextBonus and homeworldMultiplier actually affect? I noticed that you included those parameters only on the BLmk2ScienceFuselage and figured you has a specific reason for leaving them out of the other configs but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure it out myself. Pointers or help on this would be really appreciated!

Thanks again for reviving these!

Nice job on the re-release, these will definitely come in handy so thanks much for getting this done!

I do have a question since I've been playing around with the idea of creating some new lab types on my own. I've been going through the cfg files of various science labs from a number of different sources and haven't been able to find this answer - what exactly do the parameters SurfaceBonus, ContextBonus and homeworldMultiplier actually affect? I noticed that you included those parameters only on the BLmk2ScienceFuselage and figured you has a specific reason for leaving them out of the other configs but for the life of me, I haven't been able to figure it out myself. Pointers or help on this would be really appreciated!

Thanks again for reviving these!

I'm not exactly sure (yet) what they mean. My first job was to try to bring them up to 1.0.2 standards, and now I'll be going through them.

I think those will be added to the others; I copied them from the LargeCrewedLab which is in stock.

I'm using the stock science bays (Large Crewed Lab & Material Bay) as a basis for my current changes. So, I believe that some of these would only apply if it was manned.

I may have missed putting some in to the others, and if anybody else can provide a good explanation for these parameters, that would be great:

SurfaceBonus

ContextBonus

homeworldMultiplier

Regarding your creating new lab types, I'd be happy to include them in this mod if you like.

I'm not exactly sure (yet) what they mean. My first job was to try to bring them up to 1.0.2 standards, and now I'll be going through them.

I think those will be added to the others; I copied them from the LargeCrewedLab which is in stock.

I'm using the stock science bays (Large Crewed Lab & Material Bay) as a basis for my current changes. So, I believe that some of these would only apply if it was manned.

I may have missed putting some in to the others, and if anybody else can provide a good explanation for these parameters, that would be great:

SurfaceBonus

ContextBonus

homeworldMultiplier

Regarding your creating new lab types, I'd be happy to include them in this mod if you like.

I really need to take some time to build up a very basic KSP install to test these parameters out but just have been to lazy to do so...think I'll work on it this weekend and see if I can't figure 'em out.

As for new lab types - yeah, I may just do that. This is my first foray into modding KSP (done other games before) but I've been wanting to put my recently learned skills at modelling to work to do some new KSP stuff and the science game is my favorite part of the whole system. Not to mention, having someone else whose more experienced in doing this to help check my work would be nice too! :D

I've made a modification of the current OPT lab, it's 1/2 the length of the regular one. I hope to get it uploaded later today.

The MKIV mod is not ready yet, so I'm not going to do anything with that until it is released.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.