Ideas for the New Secret Feature in 0.25!

Lhathron the Elf

Do you agree with me?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree with me?

• Yes, I agree with you 100%.
    • Nope, I think you're totally wrong.
    • Sort of, I'm split between two (or more) different ideas.
    • I'm really not quite sure.

I know! It's...

...Weather! that would be adding a New feature no mod has done before (100% graphics but with no physics effects though), It has a lot to do with graphics, All players will both encounter it regardless of skill level!

But then again, Maxmaps said someone already posted correct answer on the 22nd...

Just so you guys don't go insane, by now it's been guessed. It'd be insane if with the combined brainpower behind it, some people hadn't nailed it squarely yet.
Edited by NeatCrown

I know! It's...

...Weather! that would be adding a New feature no mod has done before (100% graphics but with no physics effects though), It has a lot to do with graphics, All players will both encounter it regardless of skill level!

But then again, Maxmaps said someone already posted correct answer on the 22nd...

Actually, the tip is that experienced players won't encounter it. So weather is off the list.

The problem is, that we do not know if Maxmaps read all forum posts before

You forgot to mention that it is a cool yet rather small thing, and that it's only possible because of all the groundwork that we put in so a big 0.26 big feature would be possible. This being the reason why our art team is chained to their desks undertaking that massive project.

and whether his

Just so you guys don't go insane, by now it's been guessed. It'd be insane if with the combined brainpower behind it, some people hadn't nailed it squarely yet.

meant, that noone had guessed it days or weeks before and not just recently.

So my guess is, that anything is possible right now.

My bets are on Kerbals quitting, because .26 is meant to introduce more stuff for the kerbonauts themselves - although .25 was meant to do this already and it only got delayed.

Second on damagable buildings - although his Twitter post smells like deliberate false information - although it would fit a major arts project ... but it does not sound like something small as a byproduct of a bigger project, does it?

Honestly I am clueless. :P

From what I've seen, it was actually guessed correctly pretty soon after a secret feature was teased ;)

Great, now to find that post again ... :P:wink:

Edit:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92375-Max-Reveals-*Most*-of-the-0-25-Grand-Plan

That was a good Squadcast. Nothing much we didn't know, but I think I have an inkling what the secret feature is. It'll show up more for lesser players, and it's a simplified version of something more extensive, plus no modder has ever tried it....

What's the funnest thing in KSP? Explosions. What's the least fun thing about them? They don't leave a trace.

I think it's craters or at least scorched marks were craft exploded, maybe damageable KSC buildings too, in readiness for the ability to build or destroy new buildings. I.e. Modifiable terrain.

I think that's a good guess Gregrox. Max is fond of little revealing puns. It's 90% percent of the framework for the big feature that's coming later. Making a rock solid could make the planet more interesting, but "if you play well, you won't run into it."

http://www.reddit.com/r/KerbalSpaceProgram/comments/2f15g8/the_secret_feature/

Edit x:

Gnah, this is not helping at all! :P

Edited by KerbMav

You forgot to mention that it is a cool yet rather small thing, and that it's only possible because of all the groundwork that we put in so a big 0.26 big feature would be possible. This being the reason why our art team is chained to their desks undertaking that massive project.
The problem is, that we do not know if Maxmaps read all forum posts before

and whether his

meant, that noone had guessed it days or weeks before and not just recently.

So my guess is, that anything is possible right now.

My bets are on Kerbals quitting, because .26 is meant to introduce more stuff for the kerbonauts themselves - although .25 was meant to do this already and it only got delayed.

Second on damagable buildings - although his Twitter post smells like deliberate false information - although it would fit a major arts project ... but it does not sound like something small as a byproduct of a bigger project, does it?

Honestly I am clueless. :P

"Groundwork"? Sounds interesting.

Has anyone already suggested partial part destruction ? (I'm sure someone did)

Part will be bumped, then broken, then destroyed.

Maybe 0.25 will only add visual decay (one new texture for bumped part).

And the 0.26 big update might be that anything will follow a destruction pattern with multiple steps. (Not sure if this sentence is clear enough, is it ?)

Imho it won't be anything more than eye candy. KSP is in a rut with the people that drive sales: the youtubers. Search for "kerbal" on KSP and you won't find anything with a high view count in recent weeks. Squad therefore needs something shiny, loud and accessible within 10 seconds of liftoff to get the youtubers making new vids. Wether it's new explosions or a destructible space center, it will be junk of little interest to anyone who plays KSP for more than a few minutes at a time.

The spaceplane parts fits in the "eye candy" category as anyone who really wants them already has them via mods. Moving them from mod to stock only matters to reviewers (ie youtube).

Imho it won't be anything more than eye candy. KSP is in a rut with the people that drive sales: the youtubers. Search for "kerbal" on KSP and you won't find anything with a high view count in recent weeks. Squad therefore needs something shiny, loud and accessible within 10 seconds of liftoff to get the youtubers making new vids. Wether it's new explosions or a destructible space center, it will be junk of little interest to anyone who plays KSP for more than a few minutes at a time.

The spaceplane parts fits in the "eye candy" category as anyone who really wants them already has them via mods. Moving them from mod to stock only matters to reviewers (ie youtube).

Not agreed on the spaceplane front at all. Moving SP+ to stock has far-reaching implications for a lot of people, not least of whom are modders. Firespitter-like part animations in stock, at the least! Expanding the stock setup also means that everyone who likes playing the game "pure" will see renewed interest in it. In general, this is much more to renew interest of existing players, not really draw in new ones. Especially because nary a youtuber plays the game unmodded nowadays, so your own earlier argument holds - if they are showing off spaceplanes, chances are they already have SP+.

Otherwise - I don't see why not. Better eyecandy equals better sales, equals longer sustained development of the game, equals more happy times for everyone who plays the game - i.e. us. ^_^

To be fair they're still running through adding the missing fundamental elements still. They're almost complete with the management side of KSP, and hopefully move on to extending the function of rockets, or expand on the diversity of environments soon. We're kind of in a boring leg (offices & budgets!) of development right now.

As it is we're getting the framework put up on how a space agency is run, but we're still dragging almost functionless rockets to pretty-looking nowhere. If you're not trying to unlock a part, or trying to complete a contract to afford a part, why ever go anywhere once you're out of the honeymoon period?

The initial [exciting] exploration period has all waned on the dedicated players at this point. Getting to see new planets, land on new planets, build different looking rockets, trying a plane, has all sort of been played through. We need more function added, and more depths to explore. New parts aren't going to help that if the parts just provide the same experience with a new hat, we need more reasons to use the parts.

Want to generate more than a cheap burst of interest on patch release? Give us more function and more depth of exploration. Give us servo parts to create Canadarms, give us a value for Kerbal life beyond +/- rep, give us hostile environments, give us a sense of occasional danger and uncontrollable circumstance, give us some actual diversity of nature and geography beyond just dead, empty balls of different sizes and colours. Ask yourself as a developer: why, once everything's been seen and built, would a player keep playing?

But it's still in real early development, and I think we're going to see some exciting developments over the next hundred years. It's unfair to judge a house by the stack of timber you'll be building it with. The game's still very much a frame.

Edited by Franklin

KSP is in a rut with the people that drive sales: the youtubers. Search for "kerbal" on KSP and you won't find anything with a high view count in recent weeks.

Jacksepticeye uploaded a video 6 days ago that has 423,786 views. That's definitely not a low view count. While we love Youtubers and the content they post up there, the game features aren't based on what they think is great for their videos. We just make the game. They're the ones that make the magic, so to speak. Even things that might not be considered as typically entertaining fare are made great, thanks to the fresh new looks and experiences playing the game they constantly convey. However making features just for Youtube views is not a thought that's at the forefront of development.

EDIT: Correction. jacksepticeye's video doesn't feature KSP gameplay, but directly tackles the question of him making KSP videos, both in the title and the image preview, which is kind of insane when you think about it. Regardless, we're still pleased with the high number of KSP gameplay videos put out on a weekly basis that can range in the thousands of views on the regular.

Edited by Rowsdower

Jacksepticeye uploaded a video 6 days ago that has 423,786 views. That's definitely not a low view count. While we love Youtubers and the content they post up there, the game features aren't based on what they think is great for their videos. We just make the game. They're the ones that make the magic, so to speak. Even things that might not be considered as typically entertaining fare are made great, thanks to the fresh new looks and experiences playing the game they constantly convey. However making features just for Youtube views is not a thought that's at the forefront of development.

EDIT: Correction. jacksepticeye's video doesn't feature KSP gameplay, but directly tackles the question of him making KSP videos, both in the title and the image preview, which is kind of insane when you think about it. Regardless, we're still pleased with the high number of KSP gameplay videos put out on a weekly basis that can range in the thousands of views on the regular.

The larger issue might be steam's new "curator" scheme. You now want youtubers not only to review the game, but to recommend it on their curator page. That's two different questions. Some would probably play KSP on their channel for fun/visuals but not recommend it given that it isn't feature complete. There has been a pushback in recent weeks against pre-release titles. Some (TotalBiscuit) are becoming very negative regarding pre-release/early-access programs. See the Spacebase DF-9 fiasco.

Edited by Sandworm

The larger issue might be steam's new "curator" scheme. You now want youtubers not only to review the game, but to recommend it on their curator page. That's two different questions. Some would probably play KSP on their channel for fun/visuals but not recommend it given that it isn't feature complete. There has been a pushback in recent weeks against pre-release titles. Some (TotalBiscuit) are becoming very negative regarding pre-release/early-access programs. See the Spacebase DF-9 fiasco.

If they want to review the game, that's sort of on their own standing to do so. We will push for *previews* and other types of editorial, but not reviews. It wouldn't really be fair for either party to give/receive a more definitive-sounding message on a game that's still in development, no matter how playable it is right now.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.