Secret feature is completely underwhelming.

regex

I don't see the point in being all like "This feature isn't that great! It totally isn't worth all that hype! Why does everyone think it's so cool? Stop having fun!" They didn't say it was going to be Earth-shattering, they said it was going to be a small, fun addition, and as far as small fun additions go, this one is at least of very good art quality. Those destruction effects are definitely impressive if you ask me.

I think it will also add to the immersion a bit to have the buildings be vulnerable instead of impregnable walls of nope - flying a plane over KSC will now have a little bit more peril involved, and bombing runs will no longer be entirely frivolous.

It would be cool to see even more detail in the explosions and have buildings be able to take minor damage while remaining usable, but the steel-plated-explodium system obviously took a lot of artwork and looks great as it is.

Despite being exactly what we all expected, this is a a cool new thing!

But no, by all means carry on wet-blanketing if that really brings you joy.

Edit:

Although the fact that runways and launchpads can be destroyed is... weird. I mean, what about dropped stages?

I would imagine parachuting your stages would be a good idea if you have to separate them within physics range of the launchpad.

People, seriously, just relax. If you're not happy about it, you can turn it off. It's not worth spoiling other peoples' fun. There were so many people (including me on some levels) who were very excited about this.

Sorry, what? How is someone saying this "feature" is underwhelming "spoiling other peoples' fun"? That makes no sense whatsoever.

Meh.

Personally I'd preferred if they spent the time developing new moons or planets (Dres sure is lonely hint. Hint. Hint). I'd even take new features (telescopes to discover the planet's before you could fly to them would add a nice progression.

Destructible buildings sounds alright but I don't really see the mechanic working as well as they expect.

Most decent players spend the majority of their time flying from one planet to another. With little time around KSP there is low odds of it occurring (I personally can't remember the last time I hit a building).

On the other hands noobs won't be happy when they burn down their buildings and can't afford to repair them.

Although the fact that runways and launchpads can be destroyed is... weird. I mean, what about dropped stages?

Pitchover at launch. I've been angling over about 5 degrees on clearing the "tower" for quite a while.

Seconded. I'm a bit underwhelmed too. I thought they were going ahead with actual meaning for kerbals aside from just a randomly generated name (like, Final Frontier, and actual meaning to stats, experience, and possibly skills), and I figured that recruitment might be the small feature this time that leads into something big next time.

Oh well. The upgrading of KSC or whatever in 0.26 will probably be interesting, and some of the points discussed that weren't secrets were actually kinda nice (like the full throttle key).

True. For me 0.25 will be "the cargo bays patch" - as this feature so far seems to be the most interesting one I'm very much looking forward to have in a stock game :)

People, seriously, just relax. If you're not happy about it, you can turn it off. It's not worth spoiling other peoples' fun. There were so many people (including me on some levels) who were very excited about this.

Your fun doesn't have to be spoiled because we're not all hopping around screaming about how good it is.

I'll be enthusing more about the full thrust key and the difficulty options instead.

Also, is the runway destructible? Are the colliders still one piece so we don't end up snagging an edge while landing?

- - - Updated - - -

Don't drop anything below 2.5km. Problem solved.

Play with FAR, problem solved.

- - - Updated - - -

Destructible buildings. Yay.

On the other hand, it does open up some cool stuff for the future. Maybe we'll be able to have new KSCs or rearrange this one.

It is about what I expected.. But I had hoped the destruction would be more dynamic depending on how you hit the buildings. But anyways.. would be really great if we get to customize and build our own space center in future and maybe even cities.

Also, is the runway destructible? Are the colliders still one piece so we don't end up snagging an edge while landing?

Ugh, that's a good point. I think EJ's shuttle was "colliding with the runway" in high orbit in a stream recently.. I wonder if that counts for hitting it?

I'm sorry to see you disappointed about the new feature regex, but I'm not really sure all this sarcasm is needed (just my personal opinion). As for small, useful features I think you'll find one or two in the changelogs :)

this message will self destruct in......

I'm trying to think of a "small but funny" feature that would be any better than this. Sometimes I wonder what feature they could have done to not make some people here NOT unhappy.

There will be always people who are unhappy about something, no matter what is done.

But again, this feature can be turned off for whoever doesn't like it.

No, actually, I had a feeling it was going to be a pretty useless secret feature. Again, it does open up the possibility for some neat things later, like maybe being able to rearrange the place.

Remember that accidents will now result in damage that has to be repaired, which will probably cost you alot. Even dropping a stage in the wrong spot can now be a risk so I would not call this purely a useless feature even if you dont care about the explosion effects.