Dear Squad: please don't make a habit of altering folder names...

Aarrgh... I was almost finished my 200+ part weld pack that I've slaved over for the past 10 months, but the altered folder names have wreaked havoc on the welds.

This is going to take a looooong time to fix.

Please don't make a habit of altering folder names. It causes welders extreme pain. :/

Edited by little square dot

Thanks man.

I use Edit Pad Pro which has similar features, but it's still going to take an obscene amount of time. They're complicated welds and there are hundreds of them.

I just needed to vent because it's extremely frustrating to find yourself faced with hours upon hours of work because of someone else's lackadaisical approach to folder-structuring and file-naming. I'm not even sure why minor alterations such as "probeCoreSphere" to "probeStackSphere" were deemed necessary, and some of the changes don't even make sense, ie. changing "longAntenna" to "commsDish16", which looks to me like another make-work project for a future date.

I just wish that Squad had put some effort into adequately structuring the parts folders from the outset, but whatever... I'll stop being grumpy now.

Just in case anyone else finds themselves in a similar boat, the following list contains most of the changes:

rocketNoseCone = protectiveRocketNoseMk7

noseCone = aerodynamicNoseCone

R8winglet = wingletAV-R8

winglet = wingletAV-T1

asasmodule1-2 = advSasModuleLarge

advSasModule = inlineAdvancedStabilizer

sasModule = inlineReactionWheel

crewCabin = hitchhikerStorageContainer

Mark1Cockpit = mk1Cockpit

landerCabinSmall = mk1LanderCan

probeCoreSphere = probeStackSphere

solarPanels2 = 1x6ShroudSolarPanels

solarPanels4 = 1x6SolarPanels

solarPanels1 = 2x3ShroudSolarPanels

solarPanels3 = 2x3SolarPanels

largeSolarPanel = gigantorXlSolarArray

radialFlatSolarPanel = solarPanels5

batteryBank = z-1kBattery

batteryBankLarge = z-4kBattery

batteryPack = z-100Battery

batteryBankMini = z-200Battery

ksp_r_largeBatteryPack = z-400Battery

sepMotor1 = solidBoosterSep

solidBooster = solidBoosterRT-10

solidBooster1-1 = solidBoosterBACC

engineLargeSkipper = liquidEngineSkipper

liquidEngine2-2 = liquidEnginePoodle

radialLiquidEngine1-2 = liquidEngineMk55

liquidEngine1-2 = liquidEngineMainsail

liquidEngine2 = liquidEngineLV-T45

liquidEngine = liquidEngineLV-T30

nuclearEngine = liquidEngineLV-N

liquidEngine3 = liquidEngineLV-909

radialEngineMini = liquidEngineLV-1R

microEngine = liquidEngineLV-1

toroidalAerospike = liquidEngineAerospike

liquidEngineMini = liquidEngine48-7S

smallRadialEngine = liquidEngine24-77

turboFanEngine = jetEngineTurbo

JetEngine = jetEngineBasic

miniFuelTank = fuelTankOscarB

fuelTankSmallFlat = fuelTankT100

fuelTankSmall = fuelTankT200

fuelTank = fuelTankT400

fuelTank_long = fuelTankT800

fuelTank1-2 = fuelTankX200-32

fuelTank2-2 = fuelTankX200-16

fuelTank3-2 = fuelTankJumbo-64

fuelTank4-2 = fuelTankX200-8

toroidalFuelTank = fuelTankToroidal

RCSTank1-2 = RCSFuelTankR1

rcsTankMini = RCSFuelTankR10

RCSFuelTank = RCSFuelTankR25

radialRCSTank = RCSTankRadial

structuralIBeam2 = structuralIBeam200

structuralIBeam3 = structuralIBeam200Pocket

structuralIBeam1 = structuralIBeam650

strutCube = strutCubicOcto

structuralMiniNode = structuralMicronode

trussAdapter = trussGirderAdapter

trussPiece1x = trussGirderL

trussPiece3x = trussGirderXL

structuralPanel1 = structuralPanel1x1

structuralPanel2 = structuralPanel2x2

radialEngineBody = engineBodyRadial

nacelleBody = engineNacelle

stackSeparatorMini = decouplerSeparatorTR-2C

stackSeparatorBig = decouplerSeparatorTR-XL

stackSeparator = decouplerSeparatorTR-18D

stackDecoupler = decouplerStackTR-18A

stackDecouplerMini = decouplerStackTR-2V

decoupler1-2 = decouplerStack2m

longAntenna = commsDish16

commDish = commDish88-88

dockingPort2 = dockingPort

dockingPortLarge = dockingPortSr

dockingPort1 = dockingPortShielded

dockingPort3 = dockingPortJr

dockingPortLateral = dockingPortInline

radialDecoupler1-2 = decouplerRadialHDM

radialDecoupler = decouplerRadialTT-38K

radialDecoupler2 = decouplerRadialTT-70

ladder1 = ladderRadial

telescopicLadder = ladderTelescopic

telescopicLadderBay = ladderTelescopicBay

landingLeg1 = landingLegLT-1

landingLeg1-2 = landingLegLT-2

miniLandingLeg = landingLegLT-5

roverWheel1 = roverWheelM1

roverWheel2 = roverWheelS2

wheelMed = roverWheelTR-2L

roverWheel3 = roverWheelXL3

Remember, while Squad does support mods, the game does not revolve around them. If Squad has to choose between a new file organization in favor of new development, then that is what is going to happen. Make backups of your work often, especially in anticipation of new updates. Criticizing the developers because of their work does not help your case, either. If it really becomes a problem for you, then you may want to find a new approach, because Squad is not going to cater to your needs alone.

I understand your frustration, but at the same time, the folder-naming system was pretty crude. While it may cause you some effort, it'll make finding specific stock parts much easier in the future. We finally have descriptive titles, rather than 'Dockingport1, 2,...' or 'Panel1, 2, 3...'.

In the long term, this is a good change and I don't think it was done without thought.

Sounds a bit like a Modders problem not Squads

And I know you were just venting but they may have a VERY good reason to change the names, You and I don't know why they did it, But it was a LOT of work for them to do so it has a reason

Remember, while Squad does support mods, the game does not revolve around them. If Squad has to choose between a new file organization in favor of new development, then that is what is going to happen.

Obviously, but thanks for the reminder.

My only critique of the devs, whom I have the utmost respect for, is a valid one. The part names and folder structure has been terrible from the outset, and had it been properly thought-out none of this would be an issue.

I was frustrated and needed to vent, so I said my piece, and that's that.

Make backups of your work often, especially in anticipation of new updates. Criticizing the developers because of their work does not help your case, either.

I fail to see how making back-ups is relevant. I didn't lose data...they changed file/folder names, which is what this thread is about.

I'm also not sure what "case" it is that I'm allegedly harming by criticizing the devs, and regardless, I'm confident that they're not so iron-fisted as to punish mild-mannered dissent.

If it really becomes a problem for you, then you may want to find a new approach, because Squad is not going to cater to your needs alone.

What are you on about?

If what becomes a problem? A new approach to what? How did you manage to interpret my criticism of the folder structure and request for minimal changes in future as my having suggested that they should cater to my needs alone?

I am thoroughly confused.

Edited by little square dot

I understand your frustration, but at the same time, the folder-naming system was pretty crude. While it may cause you some effort, it'll make finding specific stock parts much easier in the future. We finally have descriptive titles, rather than 'Dockingport1, 2,...' or 'Panel1, 2, 3...'.

In the long term, this is a good change and I don't think it was done without thought.

Oh, I agree completely, but I think it should have been done long ago. Of course this is crying over spilled milk, but that's what people do when they vent.

The game being in alpha is a bit of a laugh; on one level it's obviously true, but on another--first it goes to QA, then to experimentals, then to release. That's as much testing as patches for gone-gold games get.

The folder renaming has its downsides, but IMO (as pointed out) they are outweighed tremendously by the upsides. Further, I want to make a general point: Squad should always, always, always feel free to break mods for the sake of improvement. Indeed, the reverse (preserving bad things for "mod compatibility") has been a problem, and Squad should be *thanked* for escaping that model.

The folder renaming has its downsides, but IMO (as pointed out) they are outweighed tremendously by the upsides. Further, I want to make a general point: Squad should always, always, always feel free to break mods for the sake of improvement. Indeed, the reverse (preserving bad things for "mod compatibility") has been a problem, and Squad should be *thanked* for escaping that model.

I agree. Squad should always feel free to break mods for the sake of improving the game.

The things is, folder/part names have zero impact on the game. Any such alterations are just a matter of housekeeping, and while I agree that it needed to be done, I also stand by my initial request. If we're going to get this house in order, let's try to do it in as few takes as possible.

On a personal note, having streamlined the repairs process, I'm almost half-way there after about 7 hours of tinkering. I had expected this to take four or five times longer, so my frustration level is approximately 73.2% diminished, give or take... and the venting has helped tremendously. :)

While a nuisance for myself (given how SXT works), Squad shouldn't be afraid of breaking mods to make improvements. The re-organisation was long-over due, although things like the Mk2 parts not being under Squad/Parts/Mk2 (or something similar) ... but under Squad/SPP/ is still a tad confusing.

What I would have been quite nice would have been a headsup on the new folder-names so I could have a patch ready to go; but that's life, so can't complain.

Based on some of the names that were changed, I'm guessing this is probably the first time this kind of renaming of objects has ever happened. It'll probably be the last, too.

Squad isn't always competent, but I don't think you can expect this to ever become "habit".

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.