[0.25] [x] Science! v4.0 (2014-10-24) [Old thread]

Bodrick

No longer updated: Go here instead!

[x] Science! - A Science Checklist plugin for KSP

7CEuLVT.png

NGBdHsG.pngI4KJZyn.pngNNbGnoq.png

[x] Science! is a simple science checklist to keep track of what science experiments you've completed, and what you've still got left to do.

Features:

• Automatically updates when you retrieve or transmit new science experiments
  • Filter to only show experiments that are currently on your spacecraft; have been unlocked in the tech tree; or all experiments
  • Keyword search to let you find experiments quickly
  • View amount of science any experiment has left for you to find
  • Should be compatible with any science-generating mods
  • Uses stock toolbar
  • Current biome detection
  • OrbitalScience support
  • CustomBiomes support
  • Displays amount of science you'd get if you retrieved all outstanding experiments
  • Blizzy's toolbar support

Why should I use this over the stock Science Archives?

• Can be accessed from all scenes, not just the Research and Development center
  • Shows all experiments, not just partially / fully completed ones
  • Simpler interface
  • Clearly shows amount of science available for experiments
  • Displays what biome you're currently in

Download v4.0

The latest (and all previous) versions are available at https://bitbucket.org/Bodrick/x-science/downloads, along with the source code.

Also available on CurseForge.

Please note this mod will only be available in Science or Career modes. It will automatically disable itself in Sandbox mode.

License

[x] Science! is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International license.

Automatic updates

This mod includes version checking using MiniAVC. If you opt-in, it will use the internet to check whether there is a new version available. Data is only read from the internet and no personal information is sent. For a more comprehensive version checking experience, please download the KSP-AVC Plugin.

v4.0

• Added support for blizzy's toolbar - find the toggle in the settings menu if you've got it installed.
  • Changes to the settings are now saved across games.

v3.1

• Can now use the - symbol to do NOT searches e.g. "goo -Minmus".
  • Added compact mode.
  • Moved the complete experiment filter option to the settings panel.
  • Now only updates when the window is open.
  • Fixed ArgumentNullException when running alongside Karbonite (thanks Jaxx).
  • Fixed experiments not being detected in biomes with spaces in them (thanks Tahib).
  • Now refreshes the experiment cache far less frequently - only once per scene instead of whenever science is obtained or the active vessel is changed.

v3.0

• Added onboard science detection.
  • Added support for CustomBiomes.
  • Fixed experiments not showing up as complete correctly due to a floating point rounding error.

v2.0

• Implemented current situation detection and filter.
  • Added tooltips to buttons
  • Completed experiment progress bars are now rendered in a different colour.
  • Replaced text on filter buttons with icons.
  • Fixed several memory leaks.
  • Fixed addon being loaded multiple times.

v1.1

• Mod now correctly disables itself in Sandbox mode (stops the VAB lockup bug)
  • Can now use the | symbol to do OR searches e.g. "goo Mun|Minmus"
  • Optimized experiment list rendering
  • Will automatically detect OrbitalScience if installed, and add its experiments to the list
  • Biomes are now displayed in the experiment list correctly
  • Fixed some experiments not appearing in the list if they took biomes into account
  • Fixed "while landed at sun" experiments appearing in the list
  • Fixed science levels not taking game difficulty settings into account

Next version

• ScanSAT integration
  • Option to only display known biomes
  • More mod support

Soon

• Alerts when new science is available (like Science Alert)
  • API for mods to register custom experiments?

Like this? Want to buy me a beer?

If you run into any bugs, or have anything else you'd like to see the mod do, please post them here or on my bitbucket tracker! Happy science hunting :)

Edited by Bodrick
Updated for v4.0

What's the advantage to using this over the Science Archives?

Getting to the Science Archives means that you have to go back to the Space Center - whereas this mod can be used from all scenes. The Science Archives also don't show you available experiments, only ones that you have already sent some data back from. I also don't really like the interface - it feels very clunky and the filters are counter-intuitive.

Looks great to me, I found Science Archives a little too heavy. Perhaps an additional filter for the current biome/body/situation would be good?

I'm not really sure if this messes with other mods, but I do know in my 20+ mod soup this is the mod that results in my VAB going so haywire that I can't do anything. The second this mod goes in, BAD stuff happens in the VAP.

What mods do you have installed? I've tested it with a few other mods and there didn't seem to be any problems - if I can install all the ones you've got it'll make it easier to figure out what's going on :)

The only little thing it lacks is science alert feature (well, there is a separate mod for that and quite good one, but having such feature here would've made thing even more comfortable), i.e. pop-up when an experiment can be done in current conditions with quick link button to perform it (instead of searching for that tiny science part on vessel, then clicking it and realising that moment is already missed and you're in different biome).

What mods do you have installed? I've tested it with a few other mods and there didn't seem to be any problems - if I can install all the ones you've got it'll make it easier to figure out what's going on :)

When I tested it I had FAR, Deadly reentry, FASA, Engineer, Infernal Robotics, Kerbal attachment, Universal storage and its KAS mod, remote tech, chatterer, and Karbonite. I think that's all I had when I encountered the bug. I was installing them one ta a time trying to find out.

What happens is you go into VAB and pick a CM. Then essentially all mouse controls die. If you stay in the VAB it gets REALLY funky. I tried reinstalling from scratch and reinstalling this mod. It is def this mod that causes the issue.

Now I say this knowing it could be another mod doing something incorrectly and your mod just brings it to the surface. Given that I can install upwards of 20 mods without error I find that unlikely, but possible. I hope you find the issue because I would very much like to use your mod, but I consider a good many mods to be essential.

It is worth noting that I play on 32 bit with the force opengl flag.

I'm sorry to say that, but i dont get the point for this mod. Did you ever looked at Science Library? It offers the same and more.

The Science Library that hasn't been updated for several months, and that doesn't handle mod experiments correctly? It's nice that it works now, but that probably won't always be the case.

Also, you should note that stock experiments don't actually use the CelestialBody.scienceValues.FlyingHighDataValue or InSpaceHighDataValue values, the FlyingLow and InSpaceLow values are used for both respective cases. Your remaining science values will be calculated too high (or too low in the case of the sun) if you use those values.

bitbucket vs github, interesting choice of repos - anyway, was going to log a feature request for blizzy's toolbar support

ps this has a sleeker UI/UX than the Science Library (forgetting the fact that SL hasn't been updated like DM said)

This reminds me, I may have had Dmagics orbital science mod installed as well. I can't be sure though. I'm definitely sure about the other ones. It could be the case that his new science instruments might conflict with how your mod does things? I'm by no means a mod pro so that's the only reason I bring it up.

I'm sorry to say that, but i dont get the point for this mod. Did you ever looked at Science Library? It offers the same and more.

Science Library 1.2 together with blizzys Toolbar 1.76 both work in 0.25

That's nice and all except it hasn't been updated since July and the modder hasn't been on for quite some time now. Plus the GUI on this mod is already way way way better. I was using science library but I'm switching over to this.

I really don't understand why you think there should only be one mod per idea. Should each modder claim "dibs" on an idea and then no one else can ever make a mod that does something similar? Should we have only one option for life support, futuristic rocket parts, etc? If someone wants to make a mod, let them. If it improves upon an existing mod, great. If the existing mod hasn't been updated for two major KSP releases and someone wants to work on a new similar mod, why not?

Eventually Science Library will cease to work. It's license doesn't allow anyone to change it at all, so unless SpiritOffice passes on mod ownership to someone else it's going to eventually not work if Squad makes any big science changes or changes aspects of the system.

I hadn't actually heard of Science Library until a couple of days ago, by which point i was practically ready to release. It is pretty similar, but I much prefer my UI! I think my mod is more accessible to people who just want a simple way of tracking their science. :)

I've also added support for the Orbital Science mod, so in the next release all the experiments for that will appear in the list as well (but only if you've got it installed):

2sWy6kK.png

Thanks for all your suggestions and bug reports so far! Seems quite a few people are having this VAB issue - I'm having trouble reproducing it unfortunately, even with all the listed mods installed :(

Could one of you try it with this version installed (which may or may not fix it), and upload your KSP_Data/output_log.txt so that I can have a look at it? Do you have the same issues with just this mod installed? Does the mod window have to be open in the VAB for it to break, or does just installing the mod at all break it? The more information I can get on this, the easier it will be to solve :)

I'm going to hold off on adding the ability to collect science for now - there's already the excellent Science Alert plugin, and I'm just trying to keep things simple at the moment (it is my first mod, after all!). I'll definitely consider it for a couple of versions time if there's enough interest though :) I'll add a planned features section to the OP as well so you know what to expect in the future.

Edited by Bodrick
Added debug version link

Someone a few posts ago said he had this issue with this just mod installed. For me, I don't have to open the window for the bug to show up, I just go into the VAB drop a command module and bam, the mouse problems start.

I'll try to get an output file for you sometime tomorrow.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.