0.90 Kerbal Weather Systems! Alpha 0.5.3 WIP! (Jan 2)

silverfox8124

Update! I am looking for people with modelling experience who will be willing to collaborate with me in making parts for Kerbal Weather Systems! I'm not one myself for modelling and making parts, and there's tons of code that needs to get written at the same time, so I would very much love to have someone join me in the making of making this mod possible. If you have modelling experience with KSP and have made successful models, and are interested, please contact me either by PM or by reply to this post. Thank you~

Update: With wind patterns changing and being reals different for different planets, I am developing a climate system unique to each planet with atmosphere. With myself not being from the meteorology field, it's starting to slow down progress being made. With such being sad, I am looking to enlist the help of you fellow meteorologists/people going to school currently for meteorology, for help in climate systems, their development, and function. If you meet the criteria and are willing to help, please send me a pm or reply to this message. Thank you <3

Update for you all!~: Sorry for not putting out more updates on my progress, but with the newest release of FAR out, I'm really kicking it into high gear, and you all should see a massive update in the next few days. Such update will include: Custom science module from the anemometer! thermometer + barometer, a camera, clouds now moving with the wind, also with the wind; it's getting closer to being almost fully automatic! This update should be the last you all have to input the windspeed manually. Kerbals on EVA will now be affected by wind. Windspeed is now in km/h! + more that I forget by now X3. Anyways, wanted to keep you all updated on my dev progress, and to let you all know I'm not dead and am still hard at work on bring you guys weather! ~SilverFox8124

Dear users, followers, supporters, and anyone else who may come across this,

Recently I've been contemplating it more and more, and it's finally come to the point where I accept it. My knowledge of meteorology, and the programming required to make this run, is lacking, severely. With such being said, I'm afraid I must put this project in the very least, on hold. This may give me time to gather more knowledge I may need, but mainly, it's a break from all the stress and trouble this is giving me. I've dedicated 2 months of countless hours of effort into it, and yes, it has potential, but potential that I could not achieve, not alone anyways.

With that being said, I bid thee all farewell,

~SilverFox8124

I always thought the scope was a bit much for this project, but I think having all the individual elements working would still be a great mod. No need to tie them all together into an actual weather system. If people really want to, they can work up their own external methods for deciding when it should rain, how much wind there should be, etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Boop! Surprise everyone! After taking a bit of a break, I got back into my mindset of modding. That's starting to make good progress, automatic wind is somewhat poopy in that it's random for now, but that will change when I get grid overlays up and running. Currently I'm working on getting some cells for weather data (which will represent points of lat, long, and alt) which will be used to compare data and get a proper direction for wind, (hopefully) natural weather will occur (such as things like cloud cover, rain storms and such) and it will be on all planets with atmospheres! It'll be quite the thing to get up and going however, which means that my mod will be incompatible with 0.90 for the time being, unless I pump out a compatibility update, but it will be not much different than before, and have a few half-implemented features, or would you all rather to wait and have me make an update when I have the cells working good enough to have some decent .... going?

StevenV, the only problem is that KWS! has FAR as a dependancy, and I build it with FAR as a reference, and because of coding shenanigans, it checks for the assembly version of FAR, which changes every version, so 0.90 FAR is not compatible with KWS! currently. I have an updated version of KWS! myself (as i'm the dev) and it runs just the same, it's just that things are still very much a WIP and unless I see a good chunk of people requesting an update to have compatibility, It might be a while until a compatible 0.90 KWS! comes out.

hey silverfox great to see you back and I hope you do take into consideration my advice to simply get the individual systems up and running if you ever feel a whole integrated weather system is a bit too much to handle. Just having the ability to set things like rain, wind, etc would be a powerful addition to the game, and anyone with even a little roleplay experience can work up ways to "generate" their own weather systems

@Gaiiden, Thank you for your advice, but the way I have it set up, each system relies on the previous, ie: clouds move from the wind, the rain comes from the clouds, the storms come from the clouds and rain and wind. It'll be a while before things really get going tbh, but I'm making small steps every time, slowly growing closer to the final result. As much as we all want the entire system up and running NOW, it just won't be that way. Working on my cells gives me proper structure for weather to happen somewhat naturally, which I will then be able to tell clouds when to form, how fast wind goes, if it's raining, and plenty of other great stuff. Trust me, it'll come in due time.

I understand the structure better. But just to be clear I was only talking about scope not time, having the elements separate for less dependency and easier management. I apologize if it came across like I was trying to rush you. I haven't even bothered looking at the current version yet myself. No rush :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.