"Fundraising Campaign" strategy at 100% commitment results in negative reputation

KSP v0.25.0.642, no mods.

The "Fundraising Campaign" strategy at the highest commitment level (convert 100% reputation gains to funds) does not work as advertised. When I complete an objective, I understand my reputation should remain static while I gain bonus funds. This is not the case - I gain the bonus funds but also get a heavy reputation penalty after completing an objective.

Steps to reproduce below - link to quicksave here.

Screenshot before planting flag on Minmus (contract objective):

screenshot101.jpg

Screenshot after planting flag on Minmus (note the huge reputation penalty):

screenshot105.jpg

This happens even when the only strategy I'm applying is the Fundraising Campaign.

screenshot107.jpg

Either a hidden feature or ...

Could you repeat this and check the exact amount of funds you get?

What were the original rewards for this contract?

Maybe the calculation is wrong in the background.

e.g.

contract: 1000 funds + 10 rep

policy: 100% rep to funds, 1:9

-> 10 / 1 * 9 = 90

possible error:

reward: 1000+90 funds + 10-90 rep

or something like that, not likely, but possible.

Original reward when disabling the strategy before planting the flag is listed as 869 reputation and 122,405 funds.

Which is another odd thing I've noticed, incidentally - reputation seems to function as an asymptotic slider and has nothing to do with the number quoted. I had around 300 reputation prior to completing the mission, which implies that with the extra 869 reputation it should easily bring me to the cap of 1000 reputation. However, it never does. Once you reach the blue part of the reputation bar, it takes forever to get those few extra points which should bring you to the 1000 cap. I've been playing a lot of missions and still struggle to grind past 900 reputation. Those numbers quoted for reputation gain clearly aren't right.

Edited by Kerano

KSP v0.25.0.642, no mods.

The "Fundraising Campaign" strategy at the highest commitment level (convert 100% reputation gains to funds) does not work as advertised. When I complete an objective, I understand my reputation should remain static while I gain bonus funds. This is not the case - I gain the bonus funds but also get a heavy reputation penalty after completing an objective.

Fascinating, it might explain why I thought i was going nuts yesterday, when I set another strategy to 50% it seemed there was no gain at completion. Going to do some more testing and revive that thread :)

See here. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96162-Administration-strategies-bug

• 3 months later...

I can confirm that this bug still exists in v0.90.0.705 Beta. I had the "Fundraising Campaign" set to 60% and every time I completed a mission my reputation went down. It seems to be taking the reputation points from the overall reputation rather than from the mission rep.

Using "Patents Licensing" I don't seem to get cash for science I perform, only for science that is a mission/contract reward.

• 3 weeks later...

I have somewhat the same problem, with fundraising at 25%. And after checking the wikia, which says: "The points actually got for a contract decrease exponentially as the level gets nearer to the limit so a player will never reach it", I think I understand what's happening.

Imagine you have your rep at 500. You do a mission which should give you 500. You would think that you would end up with 1000 rep. But, since the value is already high, you only recieve a small % of that value, (let's say 10%), and you end up with 550 rep. Everything normal here.

Now, with fundraising at 50%, you would recieve 250 (50% of 500), and have 750. But, again, with the exponencial value, you should recieve less, just about 25 (50% of 10% of 500), and end up with 525.

Now the problem with the game. Instead of you gaining only 10%, and losing half of it (50-25), You are gaining 10% (50), but losing half of the original value (which was 500, meaning you're losing 250). The end result after doing this mission, is 300 (you started with 500, meaning you lost rep doing a mission).

These are my two cent

I suspect the different between "stated" and "actual" reputation gain is very likely the true cause of the problem, and I hope the devs look into this soon. It should be a very quick fix if this is indeed the problem.

• 1 year later...

I have just come to verify whether what I saw on my game was a confirmed bug, and I have found only the http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3984 and this thread (I'm sorry for reviving a very old thread, but this exact one seems to deserve yet another life. I promise to not do this again. Well.. unless some other one will deserve... ;-)

So, I would like to confirm that this seems to still be an issue (version 1.0.5).

Is there a way to add a comment to an existing bug report (when I gather some more recent data, of course), or could someone more powerful than me ping that issue? Or maybe it does not matter, because the contract system (being half of the problem) will be soon redesigned?

3 hours ago, Mare Veris said:

I have just come to verify whether what I saw on my game was a confirmed bug, and I have found only the http://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/3984 and this thread (I'm sorry for reviving a very old thread, but this exact one seems to deserve yet another life. I promise to not do this again. Well.. unless some other one will deserve... ;-)

So, I would like to confirm that this seems to still be an issue (version 1.0.5).

Is there a way to add a comment to an existing bug report (when I gather some more recent data, of course), or could someone more powerful than me ping that issue? Or maybe it does not matter, because the contract system (being half of the problem) will be soon redesigned?

Bug report bumps - even after a year - are not necros if they are still valid. And I haven't heard of any redesigning of the contract system - though I'm a bit more out of the loop lately than I have been in the past.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.