[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

This seems really cool, and I'll definitely get it Soon!TM 1 request though: do you think you could try and fix the bug with Distant Objects? Because thats on my list too, and I would hate to turn off planet flares.

I will try to do this tomorrow

Ok, this mod might get bigger than what I planned, it might completely handle all ambient lights, whatever the altitude, orbit or landed, and for the different times like sunrise and sunset. A full moon will illuminate the night, and no moon will mean pitch black.

If you accomplish this, you will be seated along with the other gods that make Kerbal Space Program a measurably better thing.

You could probably get away with just having one texture for all planets that describes in RGB the amount of light from the ground, the atmosphere and heavenly objects. You could then use that to modulate either a fixed planet/atmosphere colour or per-planet ground colour texture.
How would you handle ambient sunrise/sunset lighting on or near the surface?

Awesome, that's perfect. Separate the light contributions into the red, green, and blue channels and just feed color constants in per body.

That makes them a lot easier to tweak for sunrise/set hours as well, and since you'd probably have to set these terms per RenderObject (admittedly a wee bit of a pain) you could set them separately for faraway things rendered by DistantObjects.

Awesome, that's perfect. Separate the light contributions into the red, green, and blue channels and just feed color constants in per body.

That makes them a lot easier to tweak for sunrise/set hours as well, and since you'd probably have to set these terms per RenderObject (admittedly a wee bit of a pain) you could set them separately for faraway things rendered by DistantObjects.

You could have an second look-up table that correlates purely the scattering of the sun in the atmosphere. It is a bit of a problem because atmospheric scattering is somewhat unique in 3 dimensions for every moment in time; but you might get away with a texture that represents horizontal-angle-to-sun one one axis and time-of-day on another. That is, purely for atmospheric contribution, as the actual sun contribution is fixed.

(Though to be fair at this pointâ€â€and with KSP's low graphical demandsâ€â€you might as well render and blur cubemaps at intervals.)

This...is absolutely fantastic!

This mod, combined with texture replacer for the skybox, EVE for the planets and moons, and distant objects for skybox dimming and visible planets= The complete KSP beautification pack!

KSP 0.25 x32 (lots of mods) including Planetshine 0.2.0

getting Index out of range error... its spaming the log like crazy

was messing with the settings a bit nothing too drastically moved some sliders around

here is the error

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.

at PlanetShine.PlanetShine.UpdateAlbedoLights () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.PlanetShine.LateUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and logs

https://www.dropbox.com/s/g17gx6i2w5mpr5c/Planetshine.rar?dl=0

Hope it helps

This...is absolutely fantastic!

This mod, combined with texture replacer for the skybox, EVE for the planets and moons, and distant objects for skybox dimming and visible planets= The complete KSP beautification pack!

That was my goal, to complete what I felt was missing to push the beautification even further ^^

Hey, I forgot to ask, is this compatible with Environmental visual enhancements? It doesn't cause any glitches with the clouds or anything? (I don't care about the city lights, I don't use them)

The last time I checked there was no issue.

If you accomplish this, you will be seated along with the other gods that make Kerbal Space Program a measurably better thing.

Lol thank you! but this mod is way simpler than the big ones like FAR or EVE

- - - Updated - - -

was messing with the settings a bit nothing too drastically moved some sliders around

here is the error

at PlanetShine.PlanetShine.UpdateAlbedoLights () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

and logs

Hope it helps

I could not reproduce the issue but I think I found the cause: I will release a fix today.

here is the error

and logs

Hope it helps

This is now fixed with the latest release (0.2.1), can you please try and confirm?

Weird. The new version crashes on KSP x64 (I know, I know...) but the older version worked fine.

I'm not sure but I think my latest update fixed it, I didn't have any issue when I tried it, could you please try and confirm?

I'm not sure but I think my latest update fixed it, I didn't have any issue when I tried it, could you please try and confirm?

Darn, it didn't work. But I did discover something odd...if I remove Infernal Robotics it works, which is strange because I don't think the mods share any plugins.

Darn, it didn't work. But I did discover something odd...if I remove Infernal Robotics it works, which is strange because I don't think the mods share any plugins.

that is strange i;am running all kinds of mods + IR and it works like a charm now

if you are not using Opengl try that the way ksp acts some times maybe that will work lol :D

Really cool mod! It adds a super nice level of atmosphere together with the already colorful planets in the system. Your toolbar is really easy to use too.

I think I had some frame rate issues when I first tried it with v0.1.3 (I just have a laptop), but the new version is totally smooth. Your mod has officially found a home on my mod list:D Keep up the great work!

PS 2.1 breaks EVE 7-4's city lights for me. Everything else works.

Will investigate a bit more.

try this

from EVE thread

I have just rediscovered my city lights, and while I think mine were missing for a reason that more experienced people would have spotted, I'll repeat it here for the rest of us.

It turns out the ambient light dimming in planetshine was just blocking them out. commenting out that line of planetshine's config now has me the best of both worlds - the gentle illumination from the dayside, and my cities back once again on the night side :)

well then try eliminating mod by mod a couple of people are using it without problems

me personaly i removed citylights and use astronomer pack

maybe you can try that instead?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.