[1.2] PlanetShine - v0.2.5.2 stable - v0.5 experimental [4 October 2016]

Valerian

I spent a lot of time trying to make a decent looking sky at sunset, but now I give up for the moment: the stock atmosphere shader is impossible to tweak the way I want.

Do you guys wish that I improve anything in particular on PlanetShine?

The mod is great just how it is! If you're looking for something to do though, here's a few ideas:

• Also have light reflect from nearby orbiting planets/bodies. Landing at night by the light of a full moon could be pretty cool. Or walking around Layth at night by the green light of Jool. I haven't been to the Jool system yet this round... does your mod do this already? Will this be a stock atmosphere shader problem?

• A Kerbal's helmet lights do not seem to reflect light back at him when using them up close against a ship. Same with the Illuminator lights.

• PlanetShine in IVA?

Of course if any of these affect performance too much I'd rather just have the mod stay as is:)

The mod is great just how it is! If you're looking for something to do though, here's a few ideas:

• Also have light reflect from nearby orbiting planets/bodies. Landing at night by the light of a full moon could be pretty cool. Or walking around Layth at night by the green light of Jool. I haven't been to the Jool system yet this round... does your mod do this already? Will this be a stock atmosphere shader problem?

I will definitely try to do that this week! There shouldn't be any issues with it.

• A Kerbal's helmet lights do not seem to reflect light back at him when using them up close against a ship. Same with the Illuminator lights.

This might be a bit hard to implement for me, and possibly a big hit on performance, but I will try to look into it.

• PlanetShine in IVA?

Sure, it makes sense, I will see if I can do it, but it's not a priority.

Of course if any of these affect performance too much I'd rather just have the mod stay as is:)

Those advanced options would be disabled by default in that case.

Hi! i'm trying to get a "photorealistic" effect in the mun landings, so here is my question: is possible to get the darkness of the vacuum on the surface of the moon?

Hi,

Sure you can, do you mean on the dark side or the bright side of the moon?

Either way, just go to the settings and try different values for the following to try achieving what you want:

- Vacuum ambient light level

- Ground and atmosphere ambient light intensity

- Ground ambient light override

Or any other settings that seems good for you.

Remember that to access the settings window, you need to install the "Toolbar" mod.

It sounds funny, but I'm sort of glad toolbar is still around for mods like this. Having this in the stock toolbar would clutter up what are otherwise game related (at least in my game) options I always want to have access to. Items like this that are simple configuration buttons are perfect for it because they can be easily hidden.

Hi Valerian! I love your work here, I would like to redistribute your plugin with my mod, here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76972-0-23-5-KSPRC-Renaissance-Compilation-artworks-remake-V-0-1-515-UPDATED-29-4-14?p=1509283&viewfull=1#post1509283

I know that the license allows it, but I think it never hurts to ask permission. :)

Usually, I like to treat the plugins as "dependencies" with the intention to give all recognition to the plugin creators (as I think it's deserve), but if I do it in that way soon our threads will be filled by questions about wrong installs... hope you don't mind if I try to save you from the tsunami, lol. Tell me if not. Cheers!

Why not just use DOE? It works fine on 0.25 and I think rbray has agreed to pick it up once he's done with the EVE overhaul anyway.

i know but just thought, maybe it could all be incorporated into single plugin :)

Hi Valerian! I love your work here, I would like to redistribute your plugin with my mod, here http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/76972-0-23-5-KSPRC-Renaissance-Compilation-artworks-remake-V-0-1-515-UPDATED-29-4-14?p=1509283&viewfull=1#post1509283

I know that the license allows it, but I think it never hurts to ask permission. :)

Usually, I like to treat the plugins as "dependencies" with the intention to give all recognition to the plugin creators (as I think it's deserve), but if I do it in that way soon our threads will be filled by questions about wrong installs... hope you don't mind if I try to save you from the tsunami, lol. Tell me if not. Cheers!

It would be an honnor :) Do as you wish, I will watch your thread as well anyway

I use Ambient Light Adjustment. I tried to delete the DLL and replace it with PlanetShine, but the ambient level never gets to what I need it to be for my videos no matter how much I adjust the config values for PlanetShine. Do you think I might just be using it wrong? Has anybody already worked out a nice set of config values to compliment video making?

i know but just thought, maybe it could all be incorporated into single plugin :)

I feel bad already for kind of replacing "AmbientLightShifter" and "Ambient Light Adjustment", and I don't think I should integrate this feature if it's not absolutely mandatory.

As ObsessedWithKSP said, you can just use DOE, it works well enough apart from a small bug that makes DOE's planets a little bit brighter sometimes.

Actually I already made a fix for DOE on a for of it, and submitted a pull request so that it gets integrated, but it seems that the mod is not maintained at all anymore.

I'm not sure if I could publish my own fixed version of DOE.

I feel bad already for kind of replacing "AmbientLightShifter" and "Ambient Light Adjustment", and I don't think I should integrate this feature if it's not absolutely mandatory.

As ObsessedWithKSP said, you can just use DOE, it works well enough apart from a small bug that makes DOE's planets a little bit brighter sometimes.

Actually I already made a fix for DOE on a for of it, and submitted a pull request so that it gets integrated, but it seems that the mod is not maintained at all anymore.

well it would be nice to see an update on DOE sure, cause your mod and DOE are a must have, anyway i just tossed the idea around, just saying it would be nice to have a single plugin from a single author doing 2-3 things, bugs would be minimum :)

I use Ambient Light Adjustment. I tried to delete the DLL and replace it with PlanetShine, but the ambient level never gets to what I need it to be for my videos no matter how much I adjust the config values for PlanetShine. Do you think I might just be using it wrong? Has anybody already worked out a nice set of config values to compliment video making?

Yes, White Owl actually did it, try to change the "Vacuum light level", and maybe also the "Ground ambient light override"

You are not supposed to literally replace the DLL of Ambient Light Adjustment, you just need uninstall it normally, and install PlanetShine normally. The way you did it, the mod was probably not working properly.

just drop Rbray a PM so that he is aware of the PR you sent. I know he doesn't have time for full attention to DOE but hopefully he does have time to integrate your pull for a point release, or give you permission to do it

just drop Rbray a PM so that he is aware of the PR you sent. I know he doesn't have time for full attention to DOE but hopefully he does have time to integrate your pull for a point release, or give you permission to do it

I did it a week ago actually, but no answer. The PR is wuite simple, it's just 2 lines added to set the right layer mask:

https://github.com/duckytopia/DistantObject/pull/6

https://github.com/valerian/DistantObject/commit/c31882a4473452c90599be0af43da9233da246d8

Edited by Valerian

getting this error at start

but there are no errors in game as far as i can tell

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

at FlightGlobals.get_Bodies () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.LoadSettings () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

at PlanetShine.ConfigManager.Start () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

logs:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wlfer7jojniiigp/KSP_Planetshine.rar?dl=0

hope it helps

Edited by dtoxic

I'm still playing with settings, looking for the best balance. Right now I haven't touched the ground ambient light... but then, I haven't been recording in the dark on the ground either. The vacuum light intensity I changed to .175 and that seems to work okay. Spacecraft are clearly visible in the recording, but night still looks dark. Playing around with it some more, it looks like you might bet away with settings as low as .125 or so, depending on what you're recording and what look you're trying for.

Edited by White Owl

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.