KScale64 v1.2.2 16th April 2017

Paul Kingtiger

The Mercury craft with its LES was 1.5t; the spacecraft alone was 1.1t for the capsule and another 240kg for the retro pack. If you add the mass of a DRE heat shield, the numbers come up pretty much right.

Same with the Mk1-2 pod: if you add to it all the stuff the Apollo capsule had, the mass comes out about the same.

Probes is where it gets weird, KSP probes are far heavier than real life ones.

The masses are approximately equal to their real-world counterparts: but their VOLUMES are much smaller- making them proportionally much denser. a 1.25 meter command pod would weigh much less than 800 kg, for instance.

@EatVacuum

As for the rocket scale, the 2.5 meter parts appear to be analogs of the 5 meter launch stages of the Atlas and Delta rocket families. The Rockomax64 is a near perfect replica of the cryogenic tank for the Delta IV rocket, for instance (strangely, many players think it's an analog of the Shuttle's External Tank, but it's not...)

KKiS1qm.jpg

The Delta IV rocket is exactly 5 meters in diameter- making KSP exactly 50% scale (by diameter- half the diameter means only a FOURTH the cross-sectional area) for the 2.5 meter parts by this frame of comparison:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_IV

I can provide many more examples. The KSP rocket parts are typically only 40-50% the scale of the real world, and have much lower TWR and Thrust.

Anyways, I hope this was informative. I say it because I want to inform you guys, not because I want to be right for the sake of itself. I hope you're having a wonderful holiday season, and a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Regards,

Northstar

Edited by Northstar1989

Please do! That would be great.

So I already messed up the wiki. Pasted in the markdown without thinking and the wiki page is 500kb, which github throws up a unicorn on. You should be able to delete the page without loading it as an admin. I can't since I'm not :-)

I'm going to host them on my github.io page in a bit. If you like how it looks, perhaps you could create a github.io page for the project to host documentation? The wiki squeezes everything.

Using Astronomers Visual Pack Interstellar V2 with this rescale is actually looking better than expected (running the the 64bit linux version), altough there are alot of little bugs (as to be expected).

The most annoying is a sort of flickering that occurs when viewing certain bodies from a distance. Some bodies also have featureless "spheres" around them which resemble the planet itself in color - those are some layers added by AVP which dont play nicely with the rescale, they can be removed easily though. Some layers one the mun seem to be below surface height in some areas, which can be remedied by adjusting their height.

I tried the interstellar V2 (the low quality version), and although I didnt have any performance issues, it just didnt look as good as oblivion to me.

Interstellar only rendered a very thin (practically flat) cloud layer whereas I get fluffy, fly-through-able, clouds with oblivion and the 64k patch.

The only things I have done is to use the citylights textures from Interstellar and swap them in place of the oblivion ones. They have a better (imho) arrangement of cities/roads and I prefer the more orangyness (classic sodium streetlights not these new-fangled white ones :) ). I tried to copy across the pretty striped Jool textures too, but they refused to load.

Might consider using RVE now, actually. :D

Wouldnt that make all the stock planets look like the real ones? I appreciate that the scaling issues may be better solved, with nicer altitude settings, but I want to retain the stock Solar system, (Kerbolar system).

I think a good step will be to use TACLife and weight / electric / SAS changes from RO.

Played a bit without the scales and model-changes and it feels good for me. Some minor changes that we can talk about, but in most cases 6.4Kerbol can be a small RO without the RL scales.

I wanted to share a 6.4x config I made for the Outer Planets Mod (OPM). OPM adds three new gas giant outer planets and places Eeloo's orbit on the edge of the Kerbol system. This config adjusts the orbits of the three new planets and Eeloos orbits in keeping with the 6.4x standard.My 6.4x config can be downloaded here. You will need to edit Eeloo's orbit in your 6.4x RSS config. Change Eeloo's semiMajorAxis to 3.429335719×10¹². For the values, I increased the semiMajorAxis, radius and mass or each of the OPM planets by 6.4. Feel free to take this config and use it however you see fit. If anyone can think of improvements to be made I'd like to hear them!

Update:

These files will edit the planet rings so they are visible. Just drop this folder in the KittopiaSpace folder and overwrite the Sarnus & Urlum files.

Edited by nebuchadnezzar

Hello,

I was testing out this modpack and I noticed 2 things:

1) Splashing of the coast (with actual water sounds) showed the biome as grasslands.. this seems like an install issue but I am not sure as I was not -that- far out in the water

2) Kerbals on the surface sink into it and have trouble moving about, I tested this on the grasslands next to ksc. Is this normal and will it happen on other bodies ?

Hello,

I was testing out this modpack and I noticed 2 things:

1) Splashing of the coast (with actual water sounds) showed the biome as grasslands.. this seems like an install issue but I am not sure as I was not -that- far out in the water

2) Kerbals on the surface sink into it and have trouble moving about, I tested this on the grasslands next to ksc. Is this normal and will it happen on other bodies ?

(1) Grasslands, instead of water or coast, seems more than a little off. Are you sure that you don't have RSS's custom biomes for earth installed?

(2) That happens in stock ksp. It's just more noticable when everything is magnified 6.4 times. Think of it as walking through grass.

(1) Grasslands, instead of water or coast, seems more than a little off. Are you sure that you don't have RSS's custom biomes for earth installed?

(2) That happens in stock ksp. It's just more noticable when everything is magnified 6.4 times. Think of it as walking through grass.

1) Hmm I did try to update rss to the new dll by installing that first and then running a diff and patch it up from there. I will do a reinstall and try again with only updating the dll.

2) That is true, however the kerbals are also getting stuck, or is that just near ksc where the model of ksc clips in some weird way? moving back onto the launchpad is where I noticed it. Will the same happen with landing bases on other bodies ?

If you are getting stuck moving between parts of the KSC, then I run into that sometimes too. Trying getting a run at it and jumping. The issue is that the collision mesh for the KSC building/pads etc are not perfectly aligned with the ground. This isn't noticeable in stock, but is there. It shouldn't happen on other bodies because other bodies don't have objects like buildings to get in the way. You might have trouble walking onto easter eggs (monuments) but normal terrain shouldn't be a problem.

I think it safe to say that the majority of players using 64k/6.4/10x/RSS don't spend much time walking around the KSC. So these little things don't get much attention. RSS is about increasing the dimensions for purposes of flying, not walking.

Edited by Sandworm

I wanted to share a 6.4x config I made for the Outer Planets Mod (OPM). OPM adds three new gas giant outer planets and places Eeloo's orbit on the edge of the Kerbol system. This config adjusts the orbits of the three new planets and Eeloos orbits in keeping with the 6.4x standard.My 6.4x config can be downloaded here. You will need to edit Eeloo's orbit in your 6.4x RSS config. Change Eeloo's semiMajorAxis to 3.429335719×10¹². For the values, I increased the semiMajorAxis, radius and mass or each of the OPM planets by 6.4. Feel free to take this config and use it however you see fit. If anyone can think of improvements to be made I'd like to hear them!

Update:

These files will edit the planet rings so they are visible. Just drop this folder in the KittopiaSpace folder and overwrite the Sarnus & Urlum files.

Great work Nebu!

Perhaps I could convince you to release a version with Eeloo's orbit already fixed? I, and a lot of other players, really don't want to risk mucking around with the planetary orbits in the config files by hand...

Also, would installing this over RSS and editing Eeloo's orbit apply retroactively to my current save? Or would it break it? (keep in mind I currently have no vessels outside Kerbin orbit). Would I have to start a new save to play with awesome 6.4x scale outer planets?

Regards,

Northstar

Just tried to install it in a clean build of Kerbal and, on load, I was told that the version of RSS installed might not be .90 compatible, and then when I got in the info from the map view showed Kerbin still at 600k equatorial (and it looked about the same, vanilla, size as always)... halp?

*EDIT* Leaving it for a very long time let it eventually finish doing its job. Phew. How odd.

*EDIT2* If you're using this mod do you need to use the ISP rebalancer? If so, to what setting?

Damn it. Took my clean install of KSP and installed the mod, copied over the newer DLL and... the game crashes when wrapping the mesh on Kerbal.

Install Active Texture Management (aggressive) and now it gets one body further and crashes on wrapping the Mun.

Normal RSS works fine for me... grrrrrr!

Edited by TinyPirate

This is weird, since this mod is not adding much of anything RAM-wise, so the ATM bit I cannot understand... I know you said clean install, but did you install any visual packs (Astronomer's latest?) or any other mods?

Just to make sure, you *are* running 32bit KSP on Windows, right? Make sure you installed exactly according to the instructions included with the download, and double check that every file is where it belongs to.

If you have done all those things and it still crashes, what does the log say? I am afraid I'm running out of ideas here :D

Edited by Tellion

I have a problem with the launch sites - the .zip file didn't contain LaunchSites.cfg (the RSS default one doesn't work right - space centers floating in the middle of the ocean are cool, but kinda unrealistic). I tried using the 2 months old one from github, but that one is not working right as well (for example KSC is floating on the shores, Iakod is few tens of metres below ground etc). Is there any solution to this, or should I just wait for the official 0.90 release?

Running on Windows 32-bit version of KSP, clean install -> RSS v8.5, copied the RealSolarSystem and 64k folders into GameData (as per instructions) and returned back the original RealSolarSystem.dll to make it work (otherwise RSS was deemed outdated and wasn't doing anything).

The next thing we're working on at the moment is terrain. Getting things less smooth and making sure the mountains look closer to stock.

If you want another hand on this, you can find my attempt at Kerbin from back in September here: https://github.com/NonWonderDog/6-4-KerbolSystem/tree/NewKerbinTerrain

I've just brought it up to date with Raptor's repo. The major idea at the time was to edit the heightmap and PQS parameters in order to make the terrain match the original planet texture. All the shorelines line up correctly, mountain textures are mostly represented, etc. If we can generate the planet texture from the generated terrain now that might not be that important.

My Kerbin grasslands ended up being very, very flat (that could be fixed by raising their elevation in the heightmap), but I got the highlands and mountains looking okay:

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by NonWonderDog

Thanks alot for that one, it is greatly appreciated! Also, that delta V map of yours proved really useful when planning those first 64k interplanetary missions.

I have a question about resizing planets, more specifically about the relationship between surface gravity and mass. When increasing the radius of a planet while keeping the gravitational acceleration at the surface the same, wouldn't the mass have to increase according to |g| = (G*M)/r², |g| being the gravitational acceleration at the surface, r being the radius and M being the mass of the planetary body? Increasing radius and mass by a factor of 6.4 would then yield a drastically lower gravitational acceleration at the surface.There could be an error of thought or maths behind this, but if Kerbins radius and mass were changed by 6.4, surface gravity would make up only about 1.53m/s².

I've just brought it up to date with Raptor's repo. The major idea at the time was to edit the heightmap and PQS parameters in order to make the terrain match the original planet texture. All the shorelines line up correctly, mountain textures are a mostly represented, etc. If we can generate the planet texture from the generated terrain now that might not be that important.

Nice! Copying the RealSolarSystem.cfg from the linked github repo in the RSS folder in gamedata will suffice to install this, right?

Btw, 100th post! Yay :D

Nice to see you made it here :D

Well depends on what you want it to do. It is very possible that it gets confused about things like ascent and landing guidance (though landing guidance can work rather well, I have not tested ascent guidance); things like maneuver planning or the various utility stuff goes unaffected by this mod.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.