Realism Overhaul Discussion Thread

NathanKell

It should be the same, 35 786 km above the surface. The source of your confusion could be that you have "display Kerbin time" (6hr days) enabled instead of "display Earth time". It's in the stock KSP settings, many people forget to change that setting.

Thanks you for posting this :)

Hi, I've just installed RO using CKAN. It had, however, a couple of errors in installing Procedural Parts, Fairings, and TweakScale. I, therefore, changed the install settings so that it would not install these mods and instead installed them manually. When I tried loading it up, however, the loading process would stop at Module Manager: FINAL. Without these mods, it loaded up fine however. So does anyone know how to fix this? I mean, I could probably strive on without them, but without PP it's kinda difficult to do anything.

Thanks!

Please follow the guidelines here--we need more info than just that. :)

Sorry, I'm more of an r/KerbalSpaceProgram guy so I'm not all that familiar with how you do things around here :sticktongue:

Due to the nature of the bug, there isn't an output log. As far as reproduction goes, I installed RO using CKAN and a fresh, 32-bit KSP 0.90 download. After the first attempt, it failed as it said it was unable to reach Procedural Parts, Procedural Fairings, and TweakScale, due to a 403 Forbidden error. I then went back through CKAN and un-checked PP, PF, and TS from the list it was installing. It ran fine without them, so I went ahead and tried to manually install them in the manner of any other mod. When, however, I tried to start it up with these mods the loading progress would halt with "ModuleManager:FINAL" in the loading bar. When I went back and deleted the apparently offending mods, the game ran fine again.

The reason I linked that thread is because it tells you how there is always a log. Please actually read it. I'm not being snide, I literally cannot help you without a log, and it is always generated. Read the link.

(Unless for some reason you turned off log generation in the launcher. But from the way it sounds, you did not.)

Say, has anyone sent a RO mission to Mars that aerobraked into orbit? I figure you'll hit it's upper atmosphere (starts at 130km altitude) at between 6000 and 7500 m/s depending on your transfer path, and I'm wondering what vacuum periapsis will at least get you into a highly elliptical orbit without a braking burn. And how much ablative material it will use. I bet the corridor is really tight, what with that thin atmosphere. I've got Hyperedit so I can figure it out the hard way, but I thought I'd ask.

I've done it back in 23.5, so it might have changed slightly, but back then it was significantly lower than on Earth, but not as low as you might think. Slightly below 30 km IIRC. Don't remember how much it ablated. In any case, the big challenge is designing your craft in such a way that it will stay aerodynamically stable (ie. pointing in the right direction) throughout the aerocapture.

Thanks Hattivat. That is considerably higher than I was figuring. You bring up a big issue- keeping it stable will be a trick. First I'll try an 'umbrella' with a big shield on one end and a lot of rcs thrusters on the opposite end and hope autopilot control can keep it in line, if that fails I'll try a lifting body approach despite the weight penalty. This is gonna be interesting...

I tried to build a medium sized business jet with MK-2 fuselage, and end up with monstrous 250t heavy cruiser with only 34 kerbals capicity.

It`s partially because of my multi-engine long-rage figuration, but anyway it`s a hyper big plane for just few dozens of people I think...

Will it be for RO configuration of spaceplane parts not just a "plane" but a "spaceplane" which would be much heavier or something?

+ Oops, I googled some data and found that my "medium sized business jet" is actually as big as Boeing 787!

So the mass isn`t a problem I think. The only problem now is that runways are too short for jet liners to have a takeoff...

Edited by FennexFox

Hi

this is my first try in RO

I just made myself a new install of ksp for using RO. i installed it via ckan, the installation worked fine, also the game seems to run fine.

When i start my ship (MK1 Command Pod with a Thiokol Castor 30b), it wont lift off before burning one quarter off the fuel. and after liftoff it sends me up 100km.

that`s not what i expected, i thought it would get harder to get up? now i`m wondering, if something went wrong with my installation or is this the way it`s supposed to be.

Hi

this is my first try in RO

I just made myself a new install of ksp for using RO. i installed it via ckan, the installation worked fine, also the game seems to run fine.

When i start my ship (MK1 Command Pod with a Thiokol Castor 30b), it wont lift off before burning one quarter off the fuel. and after liftoff it sends me up 100km.

that`s not what i expected, i thought it would get harder to get up? now i`m wondering, if something went wrong with my installation or is this the way it`s supposed to be.

Hello and welcome to the RO community.

Your rocket did not lift off at first because its thrust-to-weight ratio was too low at sea level. I recommend you use Kerbal Engineer Redux or Mechjeb when designing rockets to see what your thrust-to-weight ratio is and how much delta-v you have. Please note that for the first stage you want to look at the sea-level TWR (Mechjeb calls this stat "SLT"). In general it is very recommended that you read the guides on the RO wiki, such as this one: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki/First-RO-Rocket

As for going up - everything seems to be OK, in real life (and consequently in RO) getting straight up is pretty easy, it's what sounding rockets (and many amateur rockets) do. The hard part is getting enough horizontal speed to stay up. Your ship needs to fly at the speed of about 8000 m/s in order to achieve orbit. Considering losses due to gravity and air resistance, this means that your rocket needs about 9300 m/s of delta-v in roder to reach low Earth orbit.

I'm planning on setting up bases throughout the solar system, but TACLS is going to be a problem. Are there any TACLS greenhouse mods supported by RO?

TACLS is a tricky beast. "throughout" the solar system will be a nightmare management wise. I highly recommend you take it one manned mission at a time. A closed loop LS system is from my experience impossible. No matter what you do you cannot get back the same amount of O2 and H2O with the scrubbers and purifiers. So after a period of a few years your resources will dwindle. That being said. You can make some LS blocks that REALLY last a long time with only food being the main concern.

So lets say you want to go to Mars. You need a habitat with enough LS for the trip to and from. And on the surface you need a habitat that can support the Kerbals until the next launch window back home. And that's it really. LS doesn't get consumed by probes so once you fly all your LS to your location before sending you kerbals out there things become easier. So its really up to you. You can pack ALL The resources needed for the proper durations. Or experiment with purifiers and scrubbers so you don't have to pack as much O2 and water. Food you will always need. Theres no greenhouse I know of that can generate it. Waste is another issue unless you use TAC Fuel Balancer ( highly recommended ) and dump it. You can dump all your waste, your co2, your waste water incase you don't have recyclers and don't want to pack waste storage. I had to experiment in LEO for awhile with different LS setups to get a system I was confident of to take interplanetary.

And it failed. I was under the impression that you get the same amount of H20 and 02 back with recyclers, but that's not the case. I watched my LS time remaining on each resource go up for the longest time thinking that's it I got a closed loop system. Not the case. Half way out the numbers start to decrease. The crew died of dehydration because I was burning up all my water to make 02 with the sabaiter. The crew themselves obviously consume 02 and produce the C02 you need to recycle it back into 02 ( almost makes me want to try actually bringing C02 with me on the next mission ). And its the same with H20. So it can get confusing. And I often wonder if its worth taking the time to make an efficient LS system as opposed to bringing all your resources in mass like with food needed for the entire trip. Both of which require a LS block of significant size and weight. So idk what the reclycler parts save you... can anyone touch on that?

Edited by Motokid600

Hi all...

New (dangerous) rocket scientist here... but I'm a good pilot though :)

I've decided to mod KSP with this mod. and installed all the 'required + suggested' mods via Generic Mod Enabler (keeping track of dependencies and versions).

Anyway all is working fine 'I think', but (there's always one of these !!) for a few questions.

I find the stock scenarios and tuts crashing (Not the game.. just the ship and game ending as you start).

1) I'd imagine this has something to do with the scale differences between the Kerbal and Real universe ?

2)Are there any similar tuts, educational docs on the Real Mod.. as I'm useless at making rockets, and seriously need some education :)

Thanks for any info..

Does someone know where to find an RL-10?

Yes, FASA.

Are there any similar tuts, educational docs on the Real Mod.. as I'm useless at making rockets, and seriously need some education :)

Welcome to the forums and the RO community. Yes, there are some tutorials on the wiki: https://github.com/KSP-RO/RealismOverhaul/wiki

Admittedly, they are not yet completely comprehensive, hopefully it will improve in the future. In any case, for things not covered in these tutorials, my best advice would be: look up how your problem was solved in real life. A lot of work went into ensuring that this modpack is as realistic as possible, so in 99% of cases you can simply apply the solutions from real-life rockets.

Yo guys, I have a question, what says TWR in context of "Ferram on Ascent Profile TWR" ? I haven't got a clue what this shortcut says :)

'Thrust to Weight Ratio'?

Where can I get a Soyuz?

Edit: Looks like RaiderNick's pack is supported.

Double edit: WHere can I get shuttle parts? Is B9 supported?

Edited by Robotengineer

I'm curious as to what others use for a re-entry procedure from the moon. I've experimented with different aerocapture altitudes and from a free-return trajectory, a 70km aps sends me for 3 orbits before I finally settle into a re-entry orbit, but a 64k aps kills my kerbals from g's on the reentry orbit (second pass). I'm using a mk1-2 pod in decent mode with no extra weight but a chute and a heat shield. Life support waste gets jettisoned with the last stage as does anything else extraneous. I've seen youtube videos with Apollo re-creation missions where people do a reentry in one orbit and I'm wondering how to do that without an over-g death.

Sorry if I missed the answer somewhere in this 30 page thread.

'Thrust to Weight Ratio'?

Where can I get a Soyuz?

Edit: Looks like RaiderNick's pack is supported.

Double edit: WHere can I get shuttle parts? Is B9 supported?

I highly recommend making rockets based on real-life counterparts using the procedural parts mod. There is a soviet engine pack (link on RO main thread) and Soyuz boosters (the first stage) in KW rocketry.

Using data from internet, you could relatively easily make a pretty realistic soyuz. BTW it is really fun building real rockets. And I recommend the Soyuz-FG since it is the most used.

I highly recommend making rockets based on real-life counterparts using the procedural parts mod. There is a soviet engine pack (link on RO main thread) and Soyuz boosters (the first stage) in KW rocketry.

Using data from internet, you could relatively easily make a pretty realistic soyuz. BTW it is really fun building real rockets. And I recommend the Soyuz-FG since it is the most used.

I've built a Falcon 9 and Falcon 9 Heavy with procedurals, thanks. I meant the Soyuz orbiter though, my bad for not specifying. Is there an RO config for Chaka Monkey Exploration pack?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.