[WIP] Cloudbase Flying Carrier | (Kerbal Konstructs required) 2014-10-26

comham

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Dupermarionation presents, an interpretation of a balsa wood model from a 50 year old childrens TV show (but designed by Derek Meddings, who is second only to Ralph McQuarrie in mechanical designs)

It's Cloudbase, a flying aircraft carrier. Requires kerbal konstructs, works as a launch site for planes. The runway is ~400m long, but falling off isn't quite so bad as screwing up a naval landing, so there we go.

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/292/Cloudbase

It's not very high quality, but I'd had it sitting 90% finished for months so I thought if I actually released something it would motivate me to do some other stuff or improve this.

8mpSK5y.jpg

That's what I was going for, anyway.

Edited by comham

I honestly came here expecting something like the Helicarrier from The Avengers, but I guess that will have to wait until Kerbal konstructs allows static objects to have constantly rotating bits (The helicarrier from The Avengers uses 4 turbines to keep it aloft).

I honestly came here expecting something like the Helicarrier from The Avengers, but I guess that will have to wait until Kerbal konstructs allows static objects to have constantly rotating bits (The helicarrier from The Avengers uses 4 turbines to keep it aloft).
well, lacklusters KSC++ has constantly moving cars, maybe you can ask him for help?

Hah, I always wondered if a static air-born object could be constructed. I wonder how far one could go? Floating launchpads at the atmospheric edge?

100 kms with Kerbtown, above, some weird stuff happened.

But static means... no orbital velocity !

@comham: nice... "airway" ? :)

This looks rushed an unresearched sorry. Your proportions are way off and there are a lot of elements missing.

The proportions are going to seem a bit off because there's no canonical version, there were several models used for the TV version, there were several contradictory diagrams in various magazines, and I'm also going off the toy one I had when I was a child. Unresearched it is not.

iPO3mcK.jpg

Maybe when I've worked on something else for a while I'll come back and work on it some more. I think it has two main flaws right now, it doesn't have much detail to break up the size and the textures look like ass because I just used random noise.

The proportions are going to seem a bit off because there's no canonical version, there were several models used for the TV version, there were several contradictory diagrams in various magazines, and I'm also going off the toy one I had when I was a child. Unresearched it is not.

You say that, but the screenshots I found and even that toy is very different, The most noticeable is the bridge dimensions (including the shape of that curved underside), the nacelle connection width and the height of that raised platform (edit: ok that could go either way), but there are others.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

I haven't been able to get the hooks to grab, but it's hard to fly at stall speed when you're 3k up! Watching my planes sink and then climb again after leaving the deck is just too cool! :)

I was poking through the CFG file, and changed the radius from 4,000 to 40,000. Lo and behold, the carrier floated above Kerbin at 40km! Comham, you've inspired me to learn how to use Blender and get something of my own into KSP, no matter how primitive it is, and no matter how long it takes! The possibilities are staggering. :D

Edited by Voculus

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.