KSP RAM Saver

Yup, this is a really simple trick that is already quite well known. It's also known to cause problems with plugins like reflections (might've been fixed) and LoadOnDemand, just FIY. OpenGL isn't exactly a "better" API (you get lower performance with it, especially with RPM transparent pods), but it does allow you to trade performance for lower memory consumption, which is often a desirable tradeoff.

Dennis6492, I admire your tenacity. Sorry that everyone was concerned about what was being posted, but it was out of concern for their systems. If you are releasing something like this, it's best that you let people know nearly exactly what it does. There have been many issues related to mods that share any information or change anything on your computer. It isn't an attack on you or the command line extension starter. There is obviously a need for something that optimizes KSP for better memory usage and I hope you are able to find it. But if you truly find something, before releasing it on the forums, go straight to SQUAD.

Dennis6492, I admire your tenacity. Sorry that everyone was concerned about what was being posted, but it was out of concern for their systems. If you are releasing something like this, it's best that you let people know nearly exactly what it does. There have been many issues related to mods that share any information or change anything on your computer. It isn't an attack on you or the command line extension starter. There is obviously a need for something that optimizes KSP for better memory usage and I hope you are able to find it. But if you truly find something, before releasing it on the forums, go straight to SQUAD.

Thanks I released this to see how people would react, on course, they didn't let me because they don't accept binary files, so I went to kerbalstuff and got around 40 DL in a few minutes https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/300/KSP RAM Saver so went ahead and started coding a more universal binary to one to check graphics card and prompt according warnings. And sure if I find something I'll go to them, that's why I've been reading how unity works

Edited by Dennis6492

None taken. The point is to simplify that, maybe some people don't get how to do it, this does the work for them.

For some unknown reason, my computer seems to refuse to let KSP play with force opengl flag. This somehow got it to work; thanks for that. Now I need to find out how to make the game use opengl without the .exe since I know it can if it tries hard enough. Nice little tool; keep up the good work. Also, welcome to the modding community!

Edit: Ok, finally got opengl to work on my pc, had to fiddle with some settings. Anyone with doubts about the legitimacy of the .exe, trust me, it's fine. Even my paranoid antivirus didn't pick anything up.,

Edited by FiiZzioN

Please add a note that it forces OpenGL in your top post as a warning for those of who find it is unstable in windows. I actually like opengl but I have to boot into winXP or Linux for it to be stable due to some windows 7 driver issues with my MoBo. I am sure that I am not the only one that has similar issues.

Please add a note that it forces OpenGL in your top post as a warning for those of who find it is unstable in windows. I actually like opengl but I have to boot into winXP or Linux for it to be stable due to some windows 7 driver issues with my MoBo. I am sure that I am not the only one that has similar issues.

Thanks for the suggestion, will do

Useless for me (as I can make OpenGL shortcut in, like, 5 seconds), but could be useful for someone who has problems with that.

BTW, consider forcing -popupwindow flag (borderless window). OpenGL works somewhat better with it, at least for me - without it, KSP can sometimes revert to windowed mode during initial loading and\or Alt-Tabbing.

I always take huge breaks from KSP, once I do everything I want to, waiting for the next big update to reinstall the game :P sometimes a couple updates away.

I have to say I didn't know about the OpenGL thing (granted I'm fairly unobservant) until I saw it posted a million times on this thread :P.

I do agree that a more elaborate first post should have been made from the get go, but I think some people should give this guy a break whose just trying to help.

BTW, consider forcing -popupwindow flag (borderless window). OpenGL works somewhat better with it, at least for me - without it, KSP can sometimes revert to windowed mode during initial loading and\or Alt-Tabbing.

This is something I had to do. I constantly alt-tab because I'm watching / listening to music while playing almost all the time. There would be no way for me to use opengl without it because of how often I'd have to turn on fullscreen again. It would probably be every 5 - 10 minutes, so this flag has been super helpful; everyone needs to know about it.

Well, I suppose making this a "mod" (it's more of a tool, really) is making mountains out of molehills a bit... I suppose it'd be useful to some KSP users, and directing people to OpenGL flag is always a good thing. It also has a side effect of stabilizing the 64bit KSP, running it in DX11 can accomplish a similar thing.

Hey you, dont you dare try and be helpful OP, the bunch of sissipants with grandeur delirium will (try) and shot you down. My advice would be to remove the "mod" and let them have their party.
And also: why did you have the arrogance of adding a donate button on kerbalstuff? While this is easy done with some command parameters to get ksp running in OpenGL.

Oookay, time to reel it back in. First of all there's no reason to harass someone for what they do on another part of the internet (KerbalStuff is after all not a Squad-hosted website). If you have a problem with that take it up with the KerbalStuff people. And in general I'd like to ask to keep things respectful.

No offense this a bit fishy and pointless mod since you can do the same thing just by passing a argument to ksp!

True

-force-opengl as präfix is more than enough ^^ ATM is saving ram

Edited by whaaw

sadly, openGL is not an option for me as it lacks shadows. ambient seems ok, but all drop shadows are missing.

i am using the DX11 render path as it too saves a lot of RAM (~2gb as to 2,6gb on default) and works flawless.

Oookay, time to reel it back in. First of all there's no reason to harass someone for what they do on another part of the internet (KerbalStuff is after all not a Squad-hosted website). If you have a problem with that take it up with the KerbalStuff people. And in general I'd like to ask to keep things respectful.

I know that i was arrogant but that doesn't give him rights to just put a donate button fur just one mod that only changes the graphics engine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.