Nuka Corp shuttle project ( and apparently other stuff :D )

Anariaq

Hum... i didn\'t found the sources from C7 (i wanted to see how it works)...

About the folding wings, you should reduce lift when folded, check the MuMech Toggle family

I totally agree about that heatshield.

One more thing on the folding wings : if you fold them mid-air IRL, they would be ripped apart, right ? So, in your folding system, you should include something like this :

override OnGetKeyDown('yourFoldingKey')
{
//Do your folding system here
set drag = 99999
set breakingForce = 1
set breakingTorque = 1
}

If folded on ground on in space, no problem. But in flight, the huge drag created combined with the low breaking force and torque, will rip the wings...

? ? ? What aircraft does fold wings in flight ?

Well, my only example is the IL-2 series, where the Corsair and all other carrier planes doesn\'t like folding them in air...

I can\'t remember what plane it was, but its wings rotated 90º before it achieved supersonic velocities to minimize drag. Also, SpaceShip One\'s wings folded after it was slowed down in the atmosphere.

Rotating 90°, don\'t you mean Variable Geometry Wings ? \'cause some aircrafts like the Rockwell B1-B rotates their wings in flight.

About SpaceShipOne, i don\'t know exactly...

Yeah, i think it depends on the folding system... The WW2 planes were in metal+tissue, and they weren\'t originally intended to fold their wings.

Hey.

I think trbinsc is thinking about the B-70 Valkyrie. It had wings that rotated 90º downward, when It entered supersonic flight. Unfortunately it had a collision with a F-104 in a photo shoot, and the project was cancelled.

For my shuttle with folding wing. I have that weird Idea that use the folding wing, for use at reentry, so the shuttle dos not go nose first when enter atmosphere. But keep a natural 40~50º reentry attitude. But if it actually will work, I dont know.

And the reentry heat. Looks really good. And the shuttle Im making has actually the wing in 1 mesh. So I can use that as shield. And will not have any problem implement that.

And of course a little update from me ;)

NTH_MSbody.jpg

Will note, there is not much detail in the textures. But that is something Ill make on later update of the shuttle. Just want to finish the model, and make it flyable first. before I finish up all texture details.

maybe ask a more experience modder if they would lend a hand? if all they need do is help you slap a badass texture on there it might not be unreasonable?

Could be a solution. But really want to learn more how to do textures. So right now I want to do it my self. But maybe later if I give up Ill start to ask around ;)

It´s really really cool. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

Wow.

Thanks!

Don\'t have any update. Just me fooling around, and made some shots of all the finished parts. Can see that I need to fix the wing texture :P

all003.jpg

all004.jpg

all002.jpg

all001.jpg

YEP, This is coming along real good. Will definitely be keeping an eye on the progress and waiting (im)patiently.

oh god yes. please get even an experimental out so i can look at it lol

Hey I\'m planning on releasing the shuttle alone, As experimental. To find as much bugs. While you guys testing it. Ill finish up the rest of the parts. But at this moment. Im not finished with the shuttle yet.

The windows are small. Can you show how big it will be? Compare it with a normal Fuel tank.

Hey added a fueltanks same size as the standard, in one of the pics. And updated some few things. Winglet and control surface.

EDIT.

fixed the error in the wing texture.

all008.jpg

all006.jpg

all005.jpg

all007.jpg

this is looking amazing, if it flys anywhere as good as it looks it will be the best shuttle made so far.

ps: would you mind helping me with a simple livery for x-plane? this is the favorite of all my custom aircraft and it deserves better than flat grey.

this is looking amazing, if it flys anywhere as good as it looks it will be the best shuttle made so far.

ps: would you mind helping me with a simple livery for x-plane? this is the favorite of all my custom aircraft and it deserves better than flat grey.

Hey what version of X-Plane are you using? it will be a little problematic to help you, if you are using X-Plane 10.x Right now I only have 9 and at current state. I cant get my hands on version10... yet ;)

9 for me also, 10 is out of my reach due to cost. and my computer is getting old and didn\'t handle the demo too well.

the aircraft is a large mach 3 SST utilizing the power of 6 of the massive GE-4 (63,000lbs in full afterburner) engines, I\'ve been tinkering with it for over a year trying to get intercontinental range, while still keeping the performance for mach 3 while being able to use current international airports.

i\'ve never been able to do the textures though, best i could do was a white paintjob with a pinstripe. but even something that simple i couldn\'t make look right due to the way x-plane tries to wrap a flat image over a complex ovaloid shape, and don\'t even get me started on how bad the cockpit turned out.

to not make this post completely off topic.

rather than trying to fit the little shuttle in the big one\'s bay, how about carrying it piggyback like the SR-71/D-21 or the proposed B-70/X-15 delta. to problems the D-21 had shouldn\'t happen if you detach out of the atmosphere.

if .15 allows for everything we think it will the combo of the two might be able to do runway to orbit without any extra boosters, maybe make it so that you can extend the fuselage of the big one with some extra tanks and other optional parts.