What is the republicans strategy about NASAs future?

Elthy

Now that the republicans won the election chances are that they will also win the president election in two years. But what would that change about the future of spaceflight? Obama cancelled Constellation when he was elected, is anything known about the republicans opinion about SLS? Since im not from the USA i dont hear such details in the normal news.

Please keep other politics out of this thread, only discuss the possible changes for NASA if the republicans win the next election

It will also depend on the preferences the Reps have with regards to their spending policy.

Which is why IMHO it is difficult to keep politics out of the discussion.

IMHO NASAs budget will either stay the same or (if the Reps need more funds in other regions, for example the military) shrink.

I don´t think that NASA (or Research at all) ranks high on the Reps priority list.

Would be the same, however, Republicans are strongly in favor of a return to the Moon instead of the proposed ARM mission. We might see more focus on lunar capabilities instead of asteroids, and less focus on Mars and more on a lunar base. The budget should stay the same; in the past few months, the Republicans have begun to support a larger NASA budget.

I think they'll leave the space programs unchanged...

That's if the Russians or Chinese don't weaponize space. If that happens to an increasing frequency, we could see the SLS program accelerated for DOD payloads.

The good news: NASA has historically avoided strict partisanship. Even the Constellation cancelation had strong technical grounds. Everyone wants to wave a flag, even in today's political atmosphere.

The bad news: This is a result of politicians from both parties seeing NASA budgets as just another way to bring home pork. SLS manufacturing is a strong example, but it is a nearly-universal phenomenon.

The conclusion: NASA budgets will experience no dramatic upheavals under a Republican administration. With a Republican Congress, however, you may see some effort made to place more strict controls on Earth science (i.e., global warming and climate studies).

Hmmm, historically NASA and other 'hard' science programs have usually received better funding under Republican administrations, now in the current climate your guess is as good as mine. However as a strong believer in Murphy's Law I'll be quietly holding my breath if not my nose over the future funding of science.

BTW Politics is made up of two words, 'poly' meaning 'many', 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. Make of that what you will. :D

Hmmm, historically NASA and other 'hard' science programs have usually received better funding under Republican administrations, now in the current climate your guess is as good as mine. However as a strong believer in Murphy's Law I'll be quietly holding my breath if not my nose over the future funding of science.

BTW Politics is made up of two words, 'poly' meaning 'many', 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'. Make of that what you will. :D

Are you sure? NASA had the most in today money back in the 1960s. And guess what? Apollo was canceled in 1968, the year the last Saturn vehicle was rolled out of the construction building. In the 1970s they had record lows, and a bit more in the 80s. But nothing compares to the sixties, which was a democratic decade, save for Nixon.

BTW Politics is made up of two words, 'poly' meaning 'many', 'tics' meaning 'blood sucking parasites'....

And it's also against the forum rules, specifically 2.2b.

Locking this thread up tight before it ends up like so many other political "discussions" in so many other forums.

threadlock.jpg

Edited by technicalfool